General tire is teh suck.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have been telling everyone on here how much I like my General tires I bought a few months ago. They were sticky and quietish and rode well. This last weekend a shop pointed out that my rear tires will not pass inspection and I laughed at the guy saying the tires are 3 months old and have under 4000 miles on them. Go to check and sure enough the center of the tires are worn into the wear bars. :eek: WTF!? I think about it and can count on one hand haw many times I burned out and it wasnt a smokey burnout eaither, it was just a hard launch off idle. Checked the air and it was at 34psi which is what the tire shop filled them at. I dropped the pressure to 32 psi to help a little but they are shot already! I did the math and they have 3800~ miles on them. They should not have worn that fast. :confused:
So I go to Discount Tire where I bought them and show the guy and he instantly starts with the air pressure which I shoot down then he goes with the too wide tire for the wheel which I shoot down then he goes with the burn out which I shoot down (can see by looking at the dirty rear wheel well area that there is not a speck of rubber there.) and then his last resort "They are performance tires and have no mileage warrenty" :mad:
He tells me since I just bought them he can give me a discount on another set. I ask how much and he says "$5 a tire" :eek::mad: I instruct him to just rebalence the front tires. Latter he tells me I can have a $25 discount on each new tire but again thats just BS. Not 4 months or 4000 miles and they wont warrenty them? That really ticks me off. Bastages.

I emailed General tire and got the standard "They are some super new high tech stuff called..... rubber and they wear faster cause they are super duper bad ass tires and be thankfull they lasted as long as they did." Bastards, no way a tire should wear that fast unless I was doing burnouts all the damn time or drifting. I wasnt. I have had Drag Radials last twice as long.

General can lick my taint after I take a chit then spend all day sweating hard. :mad:

what is the treadwear rating on those tires?

every 100 points of TW rating is "supposed" to be roughly 10K miles.

Drag radials with a treadwear rating of 000 are not supposed to last 10K

My Cooper Zeon ZPT's have a TW rating of 320 and I get about 50K out of set of rears...when I was doing LOTS of burnouts every friday night at the dragstrip.

Unless those tires have a TW rating of 000...then something is goofy.

Smoky burnouts DO kill your tires, it doesnt take a "handful" either.

The burnouts "I" do at the track rarely last long enough to make much if ANY smoke.

Do you have a long history with Discount? Have a friend who has worked there for like 6 years. They are usually pretty helpful. Get the DM's number, and explain to them. If they might lose a long time customer to say Big O, or another competitor they should be willing to help.

Treadwear is 380 but that is different from one company to the next.

And this was my first DT purchase. I was happy with them initially and would buy again from them but this piises me off. Its ok, next time I am getting a better tire and buying their warrenty for it. I will then spend a month lighting them up every chance I get and have them replaced under their mileage warrenty. It may take some time but I ALWAYS get even. :)

Exclaim UHP. Its their high performance tire. Thing is I was really happy with the tires performance and looks but they just wear too fast! Its got to be a tire defect as my fronts are not worn anywhere near what the rears are. Cars rear camber is .4*- and the total toe is like .08 and every suspension parts is new so I know its not the cars fault. Anhd while I drive at a high rate I dont accelerate fast or do burn outs at all. If they man up and do something for me then I would venture to say they are still good tires and prolly buy them again and assume it was a bad rubber mix or something on that tire run. I just sent them another email and will see what they have to say.

General can lick my taint after I take a chit then spend all day sweating hard. :mad:

I'm guessing you didn't wipe? :eek:

That'll leave a "burn out" in your fun-derware, unless of course you've gone commando, and then your just advertising.

Jeff

Nitto 555's FTW!

Have had multiple sets and never an issue. Might want to check them out.

I have the same 555's, also had the Nitto Invo's, got the wrong size so just sold them but they were awesome, really quiet, rode nice and grabbed well.

I usually read user ratings a lot before buying anything, can tell if there are any trends.

Treadwear is 380 but that is different from one company to the next.

And this was my first DT purchase. I was happy with them initially and would buy again from them but this piises me off. Its ok, next time I am getting a better tire and buying their warrenty for it. I will then spend a month lighting them up every chance I get and have them replaced under their mileage warrenty. It may take some time but I ALWAYS get even. :)

theres still no WAY that my friends MT radials should outlast a street radial.

definately a defect

oh well, its better than getting rear ended by a dumb chick on her cell phone in front of the police station...oh wait!

I usually read user ratings a lot before buying anything, can tell if there are any trends.

Me too, even at first, and I made the mistake of reading user ratings on the tire I wanted non specific to size. Same tires in different sizes really wear different. Have to read user ratings from guys with like weight and same exact tire size to really get a good read. I always look at the corvettes, since they outweigh us.

Surprised Discount tire does well really. I always visit tire rack for reviews then visit discount tire direct. (Discount tire and DTD are either two different companies or it's just the added retail, but DTD is always the cheapest place I've found, good service too)

I never had a set of tires last more than maybe 7k miles. But camber has been a problem. I am definately a BFG fan, those tires are satanic how well they hold up even when bald. I've blown chunks out of two sets after they were wore down and wore them smooth again, blew out more chunks, and they still held air. One set even lasted on a 130 mph sprint afterwards. I know, very very very VERY STUPID! Just was in a bad mood one day, but, they didn't blow out! Lasted until I took them off, still didn't even leak any air. Very amazed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back