General maintenance

The ls ss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there anything I should do to my car to keep it running well? At least besides regular oil changes.

Just 'cause I'm curious, what kind of repairs have you done during the time you've had your car? I ask because my car has similar mileage.

Well I have only owned the car 4 months, but I did get a set of tires and an alignment done. Not really repairs. I am being told me cooling system is going to need a rebuild. But b4 I do it I need to talk a mechanic friend.
Hey Rob, have you done a cooling system rebuild yet?

I have not but do have a box full of hoses and parts awaiting installation. The advice given here on this forum regarding the LS cooling system is spot on. I was left stranded when the thermostat manifold split in half. And of course, the dreaded degas bottle cracked. Just like everyone here said it would. You've been warned.

* Replace as much of your PS and hydraulic fan fluid as possible with every oil change.
* Monitor and repair any of the suspension components as they start to fail.
* Change the fuel filter.
* May need to change out the timing chain tensioner in the v8. With that mileage you are due.
* Clean the throttle body.
* Whenever you disconnect any electrical plug, spray it with electrical cleaner before reassembly.
* Find and reset all your ground wires.
* Silicone the window tracks.
* Keep the car clean.
* Replace your serpentine belt and the idler and tensioner pulley.
* Use 91 octane, always.
* Check and replace the air filter.
* Check the air pressure in the spare.
* Basically get ahead of things before they leave your stranded.

16 year owner of a gen 1 LS.

Is there a good way to do a check on the mechanics of your car? I would like to do some intake and exhaust mods, but I dont want to put a bunch of money into this car only to have it fall apart on me. My car has 170k mi on it. I wanna do some mods, but again dont want to make a silk purse out of a sow's ears.

Members online

No members online now.
Back