Gen1 projector and hid diy

Of all the DIY mods out there on these housings, this is by far the best looking.

Horrible picture taken from my phone but I think you get the idea...
The streets really are lit up now and I can actually see pedestrians now
20140722_221809.jpg
20140722_221126.jpg

20140722_221809.jpg

20140722_221126.jpg

Nice work! Can you show more how you mounted the projector in the housing?
I had to open the original bulb opening a little on the top because it didn't line up with the projector (as seen on post 14) the it just bolted together through the opening. attached is a link to the site for the projectors I used. I installed them in this order:
Projector;Large silicon washer;headlight housing;H7 metal washer;locking nut: picture/direction #4 in the link gives a good picture of how it goes together.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/diy-installation-guides/morimoto-matchbox-2-0-guide.html

I would buy a set of these in a heartbeat. Really nice work PIP.
Thanks! It would be much easier to buy a set that's for sure! I keep debating on opening up my original headlights and re working the lens as time allows or just leaving them alone so I can swap them out if and when I sell the mark so I could sell the lights. I am kind of torn right now but with other projects invading I won't open them up until I have the time.

You could set up shop that's only open at night for us Gen 1 guys who have to drive their cars at night with bad lights.You wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.I have thought about making the clear lenses for these lights and I'm sure that would cut down on the amount of work required to make a set of these.I have a spare set and will have a go at taking them apart.I have a company right down the street from my shop that does vacumn forming of all kinds of plastics.I think I will go see them and see what the say.

WOW, they look great, let me know if you decide to do these for resale, I will be first in line. They really look factory installed, you do excellent work. Thanks

You could set up shop that's only open at night for us Gen 1 guys who have to drive their cars at night with bad lights.You wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.I have thought about making the clear lenses for these lights and I'm sure that would cut down on the amount of work required to make a set of these.I have a spare set and will have a go at taking them apart.I have a company right down the street from my shop that does vacuum forming of all kinds of plastics.I think I will go see them and see what the say.

Our lenses are injected molded and you wont get a clear look to them or have the sharp edges by using a vacuum system. I've been working on this for years, it's better just to spend 8 hours like OP and sand down the flutes.

MAN those look awesome. I'd love to do that. I have two extra sets of bad headlights (burnt chrome). I should try this out for a fun project. If I could yield your results, that would be crazy awesome.

Which hid lights did you use? Is there a site that sells them?
I believe I answered this on the first page but they are the Morimoto Minis found at TheRetrofitSource. Technically they are a fog light projector but they work great in these small housings.

Can you take a pic with the forward facing turn signal/running lights working?
I have a couple on the first page, was there a different shot you wanted?

So its been a year now and the lens have turned yellow on me and I believe it is from the inside this time. So I am going to take on the task of making new lens for these but not sure when. In the mean time to hold me over, the other day while walking through the LKQ in Daytona I came across I 93 with 40k miles on it with the headlights still attached. Talk about weird- I dont think I have ever seen a M8 with the headlights still on it. So I pulled one off and inspected it and nothing was burnt and all the chrome was still in good shape. It was had to see just hiw good because the lens were yellowed but I took A chance and bought them both. I sanded them and polished them and what a find! These things are beautiful! I put a regular halogen bulb in it and compared it to an old assembly I had and the lights output was fantastic. So to hold me over I purchased a set of 9006 bulbs to put in the housing since it has the reflectors in front of the bulb so I dont have to worry about blinding on coming cars. If the rain holds up tonight I want to put them in and see how they do.20150826_184016.jpg
Wish me luck!

20150826_184016.jpg

Awesome man. I've been looking at the Mark in Daytona for a while but haven't felt like driving over there, lol. Glad you scored some good ones. I found some on a 95 earlier this year that look basically new, same as that. I didn't even need to sand or clean the lenses at all. They're sitting in my closet with my other 4 sets of headlights LOL.

Awesome man. I've been looking at the Mark in Daytona for a while but haven't felt like driving over there, lol. Glad you scored some good ones. I found some on a 95 earlier this year that look basically new, same as that. I didn't even need to sand or clean the lenses at all. They're sitting in my closet with my other 4 sets of headlights LOL.

Well let me tell you what- the factory housing with some 6000k hid bulbs put out much light then my projectors ever did. I am amazed with how much light I have now. Cant wait to really drive it and check them out at night. Makes me question if I want to make new lens for the projector setup I just pulled off.

Well let me tell you what- the factory housing with some 6000k hid bulbs put out much light then my projectors ever did. I am amazed with how much light I have now. Cant wait to really drive it and check them out at night. Makes me question if I want to make new lens for the projector setup I just pulled off.

haha. Yeah, my LSC housings are restored by me with the Chromebrite tape and I don't feel like they put out what they should compared to the factory "paint". I've considered putting those great ones I have in place with my HID kit in there but I don't feel like they'd look nearly as nice as the LSC housings :/

Members online

Back