Gen II Mark VIII motor redline ??

SuperCoupe007

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello guys/gals,

I noticed that in the cluster redline appears to be at 6K RPM. I was wondering whats the highest RPM that anyone has taken their STOCK Mark VIII ???? Reason I ask, is because my friend had a Cobra and his redline sits at 6800 RPM ???? :confused: :confused: Can a stock Mark VIII motor handle +6K RPM ??? What would be the benefits of any aftermarket chip ?? What are your guys recommendations and experiences... Trying to get as much info as possible about stock motors and aftermarket modifications.
Thanks...
:) :)

they took mine to 6800 on the dyno. the reason the cobras can go higher, they dont have have auto tranny goodies to sling around. the TC can start to balloon when it gets too high of RPM. chances are if your car is stock, your not going to make any more power by increasing the redline. IIRC the stock redline is 6200

Grifter::::: WOW ! what kind of mods do you have, that they were able to rev your motor that high? I take it you have a chip or something ??? what kind of power gains did your Mark make Past 6K RPM ???
Thanks...
:)

i ended up with a flash, but yes, the tuner (Jerry) was in control of the rev limiter. he said for a quick dyno run i was fine going that high, but there wasnt a point to going that high other than to see where it peaks and drops off. for that tune, i only made 220/220, and that was 100% stock other than the tune.
the last graph dyno tune i did i made 230hp @ 5848rpm, 230tq@4500rpm, that was just a tune and ART exhaust. at 5848 i had not yet peaked for power, but thats where they ended the pull anyway.
I need to get on the rollers again to see what the new combo yeilds..

I have my rev limiter set at 7000rpm and take it up to 6800rpm all the time. The point is not that you make more power up that high but it puts you in your powerband once you shift, which equals faster times. The motor can take the high rpm abuse all day with the Beehive valvesprings but the torque converter may not... i've had no problems with my torque converter but I do tranny fluid change every 10-15k miles.

Grifter::::::: Is 220HP the usual power that these motors make ??? "I need to get on the rollers again to see what the new combo yeilds.." Sounds like you got new add-ons. With the new add ons, are you still going to increase your redline (or rev limiter)?

95LSC32V::::::: The "Beehive ValveSprings" that you mentioned, do these valves come stock with these motors ?? Would the stock converters hold 6800 RPM with constand tranny fluid changes ?? or is it better to get an upgraded converter ??? How were you able to change the rev limiter on your car ?????
Thanks....

SuperCoupe007 said:
Hello guys/gals,

I noticed that in the cluster redline appears to be at 6K RPM. I was wondering whats the highest RPM that anyone has taken their STOCK Mark VIII ???? Reason I ask, is because my friend had a Cobra and his redline sits at 6800 RPM ???? :confused: :confused: Can a stock Mark VIII motor handle +6K RPM ??? What would be the benefits of any aftermarket chip ?? What are your guys recommendations and experiences... Trying to get as much info as possible about stock motors and aftermarket modifications.
Thanks...
one other piece of info here,"redline" is 6000 rpms,but the fuel cut off on stock tuning is 6500rpm's,like if you held manual 1st gear and let it rev it will go to 6500 (i dont recommend doing that sustained)

i think the beehive valv springs are in the 97-98 gen 2's?is that correct?

SuperCoupe007 said:
Hello guys/gals,

Thanks...
one other piece of info here,"redline" is 6000 rpms,but the fuel cut off on stock tuning is 6500rpm's,like if you held manual 1st gear and let it rev it will go to 6500 (i dont recommend doing that sustained)

i think the beehive valv springs are in the 97-98 gen 2's?is that correct?

rev limiter is changed through a chip/flash/xcal whatever your preferred method is.
I dont know what my rev limiter is set at right now, havent tested it :D but 6500ish is where i would expect it to be at, if not, thats where i want it. i dont want to go too high with the stock TC.

the 2nd gen marks got the beehive springs, and i think some late 96's did too.

In this Video I took our customer car to the LIMIT as for what the tach read. Listen to the last rip, it was well OVER 7k!

All that car has is our chip, maf and exhaust as well as 4.10's.

94m5:::::::: I take it you have a chip or something to be able to rev all the way up to 7K :eek: Is that a stock motor ??

ONEBADMK8:::::::: That is an awesome video !!!!!! By any chance, did you take any inside vedoes or that Mark while doing those or any other drives ??? I dunno if I would change the gears on it. I kinda like keeping the RPM's low at highway speeds..

I think my Mark starts shifting gears around 5K RPM or slightly about 5K. I think I will try it next time with "TRAC OFF"... see how that goes....

ONEBADMK8 said:
In this Video I took our customer car to the LIMIT as for what the tach read. Listen to the last rip, it was well OVER 7k!

All that car has is our chip, maf and exhaust as well as 4.10's.
I have to get a live take of that exhaust to make sure it ain't to loud for me. As my screen name says I have a 02 WRX with a fairly quiet exhaust but it does drone a bit and that is half the reason I love this Lincoln...it's dead quiet :D

However I have 4:10's and track lok going in and I'm looking to do a few basic mods to it just to wake it up ;)

SuperCoupe007 said:
94m5:::::::: I take it you have a chip or something to be able to rev all the way up to 7K :eek: Is that a stock motor ??

ONEBADMK8:::::::: That is an awesome video !!!!!! By any chance, did you take any inside vedoes or that Mark while doing those or any other drives ??? I dunno if I would change the gears on it. I kinda like keeping the RPM's low at highway speeds..

I think my Mark starts shifting gears around 5K RPM or slightly about 5K. I think I will try it next time with "TRAC OFF"... see how that goes....

The rpm's are low on the highway, again and Ill say this another 900,000 times DO NOT FEAR THE GEAR!!! We have OVERDRIVE!!! I do 75mph @ 2650 rpm's and get 27.5 on the highway with 4.10's.

2002WRXSTi said:
I have to get a live take of that exhaust to make sure it ain't to loud for me. As my screen name says I have a 02 WRX with a fairly quiet exhaust but it does drone a bit and that is half the reason I love this Lincoln...it's dead quiet :D

However I have 4:10's and track lok going in and I'm looking to do a few basic mods to it just to wake it up ;)

Come down anytime you like to hear it.

ONEBADMK8 said:
The rpm's are low on the highway, again and Ill say this another 900,000 times DO NOT FEAR THE GEAR!!! We have OVERDRIVE!!! I do 75mph @ 2650 rpm's and get 27.5 on the highway with 4.10's.

i agree.. when i did my gears, i had a little "gear fear" and went with 3.73's.. man am i kicking myself now.. not nearly enough gear

Members online

No members online now.
Back