Gen II Front Air Strut

AquaLS01

LVC Member
Reaction score
I understand that front bags (air struts) should be replaced in pairs.

I just purchased a 98LSC with 75k miles it has had the drivers strut replaced at the LM dealer two years and 10k miles ago. I am having some front suspension noise from the passenger side where the original strut is. Would anyone recommend replacing that orginal strut so both are new. At the moment the original passenger side air strut is working fine no air ride issues. Or is this one of those if it aint' broke dont mess with it ?

Noise is usually not in the strut but the control arms.

The strut (and boy oh boy calling it a strut can cause some arguments with one person on this site LOL). Here's a quick solution to seeing if you need to replace your bag. At night when you know you are not going to drive the car start the car. Have the bags pump up once the compressor starts go to the trunk, and on the left side (Driver's Side) there will be a little door. Open the door and look for the air ride switch. Turn the air ride off. Let the car sit overnight. In the morning if the car is sagging 80% of this will diagnose that you have a leaking bag and it should be replaced. Some times it's a bad seal on the solenoid. The bag usually will not make any noise unless it's an air leaking noise.

Bags don't have to be replaced in pairs and if you went to a Stealership to will be taken to the cleaners by the advice they give. They give you textbook advice which if you have a bottomless pit pocket book go for it...

If you want to get the top advice on the Lincoln Air Ride, get the best solutions to all of their troubles, and find a great place to get the parts (the air ride system is one of the easiest things to work on).

Go to this web site. Link to American Air Suspension you can talk to Eddie Spinks. He's the best that I've found and have worked with him many times. Great guy!!! Easy to talk to, and will help solve your problems without trying to just steal your money.

NO STRUT!!! Lol. Yeah the noise could be the upper or lower arm, or if its a rattle kinda noise when u hit bumps then could just be a sway bar end link.

Members online

Back