Gen Engine

Rope

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 Mark 8, first of all I'm new to this site. What I want to know is, what is a GEN 1 and a GEN 2 ENGINE, I have no idea.

My mark 8 front suspension lower after sitting for a while and other time it don't lower at all, one day I was changing my water pump, I herd a hissing noise coming from the passenger side front wheel well as it was happening I also check the driver side and I didn't here anything I believe it's my air bag, then I stood back and watch my Mark 8 lowered to the ground and it didn't took long either, so I was think of changing to spring but I'm having second though about because when you loaded car with people that has spring the rear end sit low with all the weight in the back seat and I don't like the sight of that, so if I decide to stick with bags should I just change that one bag, I believe if something is not broke why mess with it, and I always here if one goes out go ahead and replace bough of them. :thread:

Gen 1 Mark VIII's are 1993-1996 Model years (yours)
3a_1_b.jpg

Gen 2 Mark VIII's are 1997 and 1998 models. They have a different (but crappy) intake manifold, use coil-on-plug ignition, and have the air intake revamped slightly to reduce noise:
DCP_7544.JPG

If you want to save money on suspension repair, you can either buy used bags on eBay (which would be less reliable), upgrade to coil suspension (under $400 now I think), or spend $2,000 and buy new bags.

evillally said:
3a_1_b.jpg

Gen 2 Mark VIII's are 1997 and 1998 models. They have a different (but crappy) intake manifold, use coil-on-plug ignition, and have the air intake revamped slightly to reduce noise:
DCP_7544.JPG

If you want to save money on suspension repair, you can either buy used bags on eBay (which would be less reliable), upgrade to coil suspension (under $400 now I think), or spend $2,000 and buy new bags.

And yet another person that thinks the air bags cost a fourtune. There are MANY threads on here regarding airbag replacment. If everything else is opperating correctly, ...(No Check air ride lights), you can replace the the front or rear and do the rest later. I've never been a fan of the coil springs, give your air suspensions a chance. :)

air bags vs spring

evillally said:
3a_1_b.jpg

DCP_7544.JPG

Believe it or not I was leaning more toward keeping the bag but thinking about getting spring because after so many years of use problem start developing that is why the though cross my mind, if it comes to the point of me having to spent a fortune to fix my air ride I will get the spring until then so be it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back