Gen 1, GenII, likes/ dislikes

Movie Muscle

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

New here and wanted to to say hello. I have finally joined!!

I have owned 3 Marks so far. My first was a 1994 Rose Mist(4yrs), second was an 1993 Opalescent(2yrs). Now a 98 LSC this time. I have been driving the 98 for about a week now.

The 94 seemed(never ran for times) to be the fastest of the lot so far, with the 93 a really close second. The only mods to the 93 and 94 were ,straight air tubes, punched cats with custom stainless exhaust from manifolds back with Magnaflows and K&N filters.The 98 is going to get a much better treatment.

That being said.........I love the 98's seats and refinements but the performance......well I can't stand the nice safe tranny shifts, boy are they mushy compared to my other two. I will have this tranny apart for J mod for sure. The variable steering makes me feel way to disconnected!!! I used to practice in under grounds and boy this car would have me in the wall! I wonder what if anything can be done about that? Will have to talk to my ace in the hole on that one.

I just got my 98 with 58000 miles. I am still getting to know the car at this point. This one needed the mass air cleaned and some coil boots replaced, to run well, as did my others. I'm not thrilled with the performance compared to my gen 1's. To be fair though I need to run it on the machine to get it to run 100%. I have really found this to make a world of difference by the way to un gum the variable runners, injectors and help the cats. It really got the grocery getter out of my Gen 1's. They felt like different cars after.

I know there are a lot of memebers on here who have had both. I wondered what your likes and dislikes are?

I have searched the forums and found some of course but I'm sure many are not mentioned like the steering feel.

What did you do to over come them?

Thanks everyone:)

Gen 2: I love the looks of the Black LSC, HID's, heated seats, seat comfort in general makes the gen 1 seats seem cheap.

Gen 1: I like the gen 1 intake manifold design/performance, steering response is quicker (but less "sporty"), and they can be lowered more by sensor lowering.

Gen 1... way sportier and sexier looking.... it just looks "meaner" to me...

Gen 2... definitely classier looking.... not as mean looking but.... definitely looks more like a luxury car

performance wise.... i have no idea ..ive only owned 2 gen 1's

I agree with 98LSC32V on the looks of the Gen 2. I always loved the sleek look of the Gen2 the color matched grill, and neon back lamp. I was thrilled to find this one. The seats do feel fantastic! Mmmm.

Now to make her fast!!

I like the "timeless" look of a Gen II. Take someone who is not too familiar with Lincolns and show them a detailed 98 and I bet they would have no problem if you told then its a 2007/8. A Gen 1 looks its age.

With that said, I still prefer the look of a Gen 1. More of a F-16 appeal, sharper edges and more sporty looking.

I like the "timeless" look of a Gen II. Take someone who is not too familiar with Lincolns and show them a detailed 98 and I bet they would have no problem if you told then its a 2007/8. A Gen 1 looks its age.

QUOTE]

i agree

gen 2 likes:

neon
hids
seats /heated
center console
dash
grill (lsc's only)
Dash (everythiing)
Available int/ext colors
Exhuast tips

Dislikes:

Position of cup holder
Cup holder often breaks though i never open it cuase its in a crappy position
Hids situation
neon situation
Drivers leather side bolster
blend door (all)
Rear hump

Off the top of my head here are some pro's for each generation of Mark VIII.

Gen 1: Faster, proven repeatedly by my 94 against my friend's 97 LSC. Has a hood light. Doesn't have HID's, and doesn't have a neon taillight.

Gen 2: Inside of doors are more than an uninspired slab of plastic. Seats actually have side bolsters. Has a cruise control light. Has HID's and a neon taillight. Has non-retarded throttle body mounting location.

i like the look on peoples faces when i tell them she is turning 10 soon
*edit* rocking with my cruise light :D

Off the top of my head here are some pro's for each generation of Mark VIII.

Gen 1: Faster, proven repeatedly by my 94 against my friend's 97 LSC. Has a hood light. Doesn't have HID's, and doesn't have a neon taillight.

Gen 2: Inside of doors are more than an uninspired slab of plastic. Seats actually have side bolsters. Has a cruise control light. Has HID's and a neon taillight. Has non-retarded throttle body mounting location.

Well not for all gens :D (not to nit pick)

Not all Gen 1s have hood lights, 96 never had one, and 95 on up have lighted cruise controls.

Having owned 2 different Gen I Marks, I especially agree with the throtttle body location being in a retarded location, and add to that the IAC, which requires an act of God to remove and install again with the engine installed in the car. Having just done the O2 sensors last week, someone at Ford also didn't want them to be easily removed without using swear words. That being said, I have a friend with a Gen II (98), and his is not as quick, and I'm biased, mine looks better/meaner. I'd own either one, though, these are the most bang for the buck in automobiles.

I dislike the fact that i dont own a gen 2 and like the fact that i own a gen 1,maybe later i will grab a gen 2 while my gen 1 is being restored

I am with you all on the throttle body location!!! After having two gen 1's.

Agreed Gen 2 has timeless looks.......so far. Some people didn't like the dated look of the exterior of my Gen 1's,but loved the interior and the jam!!

The refinement of the 2 is great in so many ways but the steering and performance so far are my biggest peeves.............and I here a nice squeak when my heat is shut off.............is this what a blend door does before it breaks? This is a first for me.

I like the back pockets of the gen 1 seats better versus the nets on the gen 2 seats.

My 98 was the best looking, but my 96 was the best running- transmission excluded.

I have never liked the front end of the Gen 2's. Just too elderly looking for me. I think the only way you can pull it off is with a black LSC, lower it & tint the windows. The Hids are nice as well as the neon tail lamp but now pretty much obsolete. The interior is a bit more refined in the Gen 2 also.

I like the sleek & mean look of the Gen 1. Not stock of course, but when lowered, tinted, wheels, etc. The car just looks long & sleek. It looks like its flying down the highway when it's standing still. The headlights suck but a set of $400 housings and a $150 aftermarket HID kit will nicely solve that.

Like mmtphoto said, I too would own either one & as far as the most bang for the buck, Yep I agree! These cars have it all, luxury,performance & style. I really think that Lincoln did a heck of a job on the Mark VIII. The only other car that I would consider in the same class would be the 2 door cadillac with the northstar. Only thing is that real men don't spin their front tires.

I would rather own the RWD Lexus SC400 than the FWD Cadillac Northstars.

My new dislikes for my Gen 2. A fuel leak grrrr either lines or tank not sure but I now know it wasn't the junker parked beside me!! Guess I have to put the 255 Walbro in now................Had it out for a 100 mile run today in the country to work the grocery getter out of her. Now I need to fix my exhaust rattle and a funny whine I can't pin down yet..........and a noisey steering column,wrattles over bumps and noisey on the auto retract.Time to get her up on the hoist!!

The gen I's were made by guys who owned mustangs, the gen II's were made by guys who owned town cars.

Don't mind being a passenger in a gen II but own one...if given I'd take it.

Of the gen II's, I would like to have the collapsible grill (minus the "bunny nose" hood), + neon taillights if they changed the "plumbers butt" look and made it straight across...oh, the crush job on the console from gen I to II's is a shame, makes me want to have nothing to with the interior, the steering wheel does feel...well, weird. Power seemed dumbed down..very different from gen I's.

Gen 1's, each year is a work of art...I really dont think a year came off the assembly line like the last years design. The sleek body is breathtaking, 93's had integrated in the stereo, hands free cell phones, then with the LSC's introduced in 95..well the engineers and designers had a ball introducing the first HID's being sold in the United States.

I wouldn't trade my 96 for anything, just personal preference I guess....oh and I never have trouble heating my butt up. Still, they are amazing vehicles.

Smooches

MsM8

Don't put a Walbro in it, the gen 2 basket is different, use a SVT Focus pump, it flows 255LPH and is a perfect fit in the stock basket, is quieter than the Walbro, all you have to do is splice two wires.

I've owned a Gen 1, and now I own a Gen 2. The Gen 1 is definately faster, but the Gen 2 can be made faster. I hate the fact that parts are no longer made for them anymore. Which is why I have spares of the hard to find parts, like the neon ballast and the HID's for when mine go out.

And Movie Muscle, I had a leak in my gas tank of my Gen 1, when I filled up, I would smell gas all through the car. When I went to change the fuel pump, I found that the fuel pump wasn't bad, but the oring around the sending unit. I used one of the Orings used for oil field tools and it sealed great. I believe you have the same problem with your sending unit.

Don't put a Walbro in it, the gen 2 basket is different, use a SVT Focus pump, it flows 255LPH and is a perfect fit in the stock basket, is quieter than the Walbro, all you have to do is splice two wires.

Thanks 98. I had heard you had to modify things to fit right if you wanted to use the Walbro. You just made my other ford friend happy since he has been plugging the Focus pump to me haha.

Members online

No members online now.
Back