Gen 1 - Fuse 10 blowing

kaha

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I figured out the cause of that ABS light staying on. I noticed I hadn't heard the air ride compressor running since then either. I noticed THAT after I went out to the car after work to drive home and noticed the left rear corner was slammed, and firing it up didn't help - no compressor.
Checked my fuse chart, and noticed fuse 10 protects these circuits: Multi-function switch, air-bag system, ABS, air suspension :eek: , Manual Lever Position Switch (whatever the hell that is), daytime running lamps, flasher, and back-up lights.

It's also supposed to be a 15 amp according to the chart, but the 20 amp that was in there had been in there a long time. Swapped it out (with another 20), fired it up, JOY! Compressor kicked right on. No more La Bamba!

So today the ABS light kicks back on. Fuse 10 is blown again. :mad:

Any clues as to what to check first, or areas to suspect?

go to EDDIE SPINKS AIR AMERICA web site and read thru his check list of problems and you will find out that possibley it is linked to the leaking rear bag it causes your air compressor to run to many times to take care of the loss thus possibley over heating the compressor and there in causenig the compressor to draw more amps amps = HEAT CAUSEING the rotor to swell and possibley draw more power until either the comprosser to completleyburn up or the fuse to blow. so look at replaceing the rear bag before you wind up replaceing the the compressor too if not to late

for those that work on their own car check EDDIES site out read thru his list. he has done a service to us by shareing his knowledge and i for one say THANKS.

the air compressor itself won't be run off that fuse. the relay maybe, or the air suspension brain, but the compressor pulls much more than 15 amps i would think.

Yeah, the compressor itself is fused by a 50 amp under the hood. Maybe the relay tho, that's what I was suspecting. Never get any air ride warning, and it checks okay on the self test. So, first step would be then to replace the rear bags, right? (Figure if I'm gonna do one, may as well do em both).
Because the one bag has a slow and only occasional leak. What I mean by that is sometimes in the morning it is low, but pumps back up quickly and I don't keep hearing the compressor run while driving.

replacing the rear bags is a very good idea. but it wont fix your problem.
one of the things that you listed that runs of that fuse is pulling too much power. idk what though..

Did something change between 93, 94, 95 with fuse 10 in the 96? I'm not showing all that stuff to be protected by fuse 10, especially the MLPS and the air ride.I could be wrong but I highly doubt that there would be a fuse in the dash at all that runs or even helps run the compressor. I also don't think a fuse would protect the relay for the compressor.

I show

1. Air bag module and power supply
2. Backup lamps
3. Electronic flashers
4. Steering and suspension module
5. Steering and wheel position sensor

Did something change between 93, 94, 95 with fuse 10 in the 96? I'm not showing all that stuff to be protected by fuse 10, especially the MLPS and the air ride.I could be wrong but I highly doubt that there would be a fuse in the dash at all that runs or even helps run the compressor. I also don't think a fuse would protect the relay for the compressor.

I show

1. Air bag module and power supply
2. Backup lamps
3. Electronic flashers
4. Steering and suspension module
5. Steering and wheel position sensor

Hmm... I'm going by this diagram, which I dloaded at LOD if I remember right.

fusepanel.gif

I know it's right on my '96 about at least 2 things: the air suspension and the ABS, because when it burns the compressor doesn't come on and the ABS light *does* come on. My guess is that it protects the air ride module, and something else is causing it to blow, like Chris said.

Pretty sure it's in the daytime running lamps circuit. Seems to occur when it starts to get dark, and I remember earlier that the interior lights (radio, etc) would dim if I switched the light switch to running lights or ON. Hrmm, hate electrical bugs. :(

only canadian cars have DRLs right?
if you have DRLs, maybe.
but if not, the it might be multifunction switch. they even burn up sometimes. :eek:

AHA! :eek:
Found out when the fuse blows: it's when you turn the steering wheel.
So I'd guess that there's a wire in the steering column that's been rubbing and is now grounding.

So now I gotta search the forum to learn how to take the steering column apart. Is it a major undertaking?

Members online

Back