Gear install

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have step by step instructions for installing gears and a posi unit? or know where i can get some?

sure!

1. put gears and traction lock in trunk
2. drive to mechanic
3. pick up car next day
4. pay mechanic

Its simple!

Jibit said:
sure!

2. drive to mechanic
3. pick up car next day
4. pay mechanic

Its simple!

lmao... couldnt have said it better myself...

... or
1. jack car up
2.take old rear out
3.put new gears in
4. didnt put them in right
5.grind/strip new ring and pinion
6. ah WTF :mad:
7. call jegs/summit order new gears
8. put in trunk
9. go to mechanic
10.drop car off
11.pick up 2moro
12. go do tracklock burnouts in front of friend's houses:cool:

Gear changes are not for amateurs......................

MrWilson said:
Does anyone have step by step instructions for installing gears and a posi unit? or know where i can get some?

Even with step by step instructions this is not for amateurs. There can be devastating consequences if it is not done correctly. I have seen cars upside down, against guard rails, and in all sorts of mangled conditions due to inferior jobs at changing rear gears.

Jibit said:
sure!

2. drive to mechanic
3. pick up car next day
4. pay mechanic

Its simple!

If you have to ask how, this is the ONLY way to do it. This isnt something that you can just do yourself unless you have the expertise.

gotcha. wasnt sure if it was one of them things you could follow directions for. gotta learn somehow.

Mr. Wilson, Geno did it for me in under 2 hours and he charged me next to nothing. Give him a call, maybe he can help.

brentalan said:
Mr. Wilson, Geno did it for me in under 2 hours and he charged me next to nothing. Give him a call, maybe he can help.

cool cool, i already pmd him. thanks for the tip though.

bufordtpisser said:
Even with step by step instructions this is not for amateurs.

I don't think of myself as a pro, but I did do it myself. It was the first IRS setup I'd worked on. Took 2 days though. One day to put everything together in a spare center section, another day to swap it out. You have to be meticulous setting the gears up.

I have over two years and hundreds of track passes on it, so it must've been right. But in my defense, I've had experience in heavy equipment, trucks, and older solid axle vehicles, so I wasn't intimidated.

driller said:
I don't think of myself as a pro, but I did do it myself. It was the first IRS setup I'd worked on. Took 2 days though. One day to put everything together in a spare center section, another day to swap it out. You have to be meticulous setting the gears up.

I have over two years and hundreds of track passes on it, so it must've been right. But in my defense, I've had experience in heavy equipment, trucks, and older solid axle vehicles, so I wasn't intimidated.

but you have done it before, youre sayin?

If you just pay someone to do everything, then go pick it up the next day you'll never learn anything. Find someone who will at least let you watch and ask questions.

MrWilson said:
but you have done it before, youre sayin?

Yes, but again, this was my first experience withe the IRS and aluminum housing... and the first time for MY ride. ;)

MediumD said:
If you just pay someone to do everything, then go pick it up the next day you'll never learn anything. Find someone who will at least let you watch and ask questions.

Exactly.

Unless you're the type of person that can't do anything right or read directions I agree completely.

I have never done it, but I'm not scared to. You need to shim the gears right so that when the teeth mesh they touch center of tooth-to-center of tooth if I remember right. I have watched someone do it in an old 12 bolt posi, I don't know where you get the stuff to brush on the gears but you need have something on them to see how they run together. The stuff I saw used was a silver type of 'grease' that was cleaned off afterwards.

Other than that make sure everything's tight/to torque specs and slap the cover back on, fill to the specified fluid level with specified fluid and call it good.

there's a bit more to it as I think about it, there is supposed to be a certain 'shape' you see in the 'grease' on the teeth after you spin the gears and until you get that you need to keep shimming/reshimming it.

If you just slap them together (unless you're lucky enought to get them together right on accident-highly unlikely) they'll break, whine, wear funny etc.

Members online

No members online now.
Back