"Gay Marriage: Even Liberals Know It's Bad"?!

Can I have a hand-job too, please?

ahh, no.

How is it a strawman when Shagdrum would refuse to believe a homosexual's word of "I did not choose"?

First, I didn't say it was a solely conscious choice. More often it is an unconscious thing due to psychological factors; they wouldn't realize it as a choice.

Second, as I spelled out, when it comes to the area of love, sex and relationships most people are not honest with themselves. They forgive someone cheating on them or beating them when the truth is obvious for everyone around them to see. I am sure you have known people who have gotten a divorce that all their friends could see coming much earlier then when they decided to get a divorce. Or a friend that married someone that you knew they shouldn't. Very few people are honest with themselves in these areas; that is simply human nature.

This problem of self-delusion or being dishonest to ones self in this area is inherent in every category, from Bill Gates level to the homeless man on the street. It is even worse in people who are self-destructive. Considering the higher level of drug use in the gay community then in the normal population (here, here and here), the higher incidents of disease often from activities engaged in by homosexuals (here, here, here, here, here and here), the higher risk of suffering from psychiatric problems ( here and here) and the higher rates of violence and murder ( here, here and here), it can strongly be argued that a large portion (if not a majority) of the gay community is very self-destructive (in some manner) and is more prone to being dishonest with themselves in the areas of love, sex and relationships then even the normal population.

Point is, you believe it's a choice; that is what I was saying, ergo, no strawman.

Yeah, yeah, I got it, 'the gays' are for the most part a total mess.

a famous man, who kept it hidden from everyone, and was very public. good looks, charming, easily could have had any woman in the world. yet he gravitated toward same sex companionship. rock hudson.

if it was choice, why would somebody in a position as his endanger everything for choice? because he had no sexual attraction to women. which is not choice, but something he was born with.

It most likely wasn't a conscious thing; more likely due to a number of psychological factors. No one consciously chooses to be depressed or suicidal either.

your other arguements have no backing to them

Actually, the opposite is true.

even fossten tried a link of being cured from gay, but this man even stated he has urges. and this large number of converts would be what as a percentage of real gays?

So what? Someone with depression problems still can have bouts of depression even when treated successfully. You seem to not want to consider any psychological factors that might lead to homosexuality, even when the info points in that direction.

i don't believe there are enough successful converts for you to declare a win in your arguement.

Maybe not, but it can't be disregarded out of hand either.

that is still not proof that it's [homosexuality] not genetic. they just haven't been able to find what the triggers are.

They have mapped the human genome. It isn't like that can't get the info. The problem with these studies isn't that there is a "lack of funding", it is that when attempted, the results of these studies cannot be reproduced, and thus the studies hold no weight, and have no scientific credibility.

To argue that there isn't proof that is isn't genetic is a fallacious argument that reverses the burden of proof; namely negative proof. The burden of proof is on proving homosexuality is genetic or biological, not the other way around. All evidence suggests that it is more due to psychological factors; a learned behavior.

as to animals being exclusively gay, yes there are some. it's been documented.

not really

Point is, you believe it's a choice; that is what I was saying, ergo, no strawman.

Yeah, but not a conscious choice as your were claiming. It can be a conscious choice for some ( i know of at least two people for whom it was), but for the most part it is more unconscious and due to psychological factors; A learned behavior. I probably should have clarified that when I used the term "choice", sorry.

WTF? If being hetero is normal and biologically ingrained (reproductive purposes and whatnot), then you're telling be these "two people" consciously willed themselves to not find women sexually attractive and willed themselves to be aroused by men? (assuming they're men, if not the opposite)

WTF? If being hetero is normal and biologically ingrained (reproductive purposes and whatnot), then you're telling be these "two people" consciously willed themselves to not find women sexually attractive and willed themselves to be aroused by men? (assuming they're men, if not the opposite)

These two people are attention whores that live in Lawrence, Kansas; a city which politically probably belongs in California. These two people are very immature and latch onto being gay as defining who they are (as opposed to most of the homosexuals I know, where it is an aspect of them, but doesn't define them as a person). One of them has told me it was basically a choice for him. There may have been some other unconscious factors, I know he was sexually abused as a kid. The other, some of his friends have intimated that is was a conscious thing for him, and I don't know what (if any) aspects of his past played a part, but he has a...unique background, to say the least. The gay community in Lawrence and the Kansas City, Kansas area is rather big. Being a part of that community seems to give these two a sense of belonging, IMO. One of the bars in Lawrence even has an "alternative lifestyles" night once a week, with the occasional drag show. I have actually gone there with some of my gay friends once (they forgot to mention it was "drag show night"). There was a very hot and intelligent (female) bartender that my friends wanted to hook me up with.

"if you wish to use scripture as a proving point of arguement, i'm afraid we're back at the same problem of the reality of god." -hrmwrm
Erm...you missed it yet again. I guess your scrolling skills are lacking too. Do I have to do everything for you? See post #35.

I'm not going to get into the gay marraige thing because I think for the most part, it is becomming an accepted fact of life today, and into the future.
I want to address the last two or three post which talk about the reasons , or non- reasons one is homosexual.
I have a solem belife in why some are homosexual, while many others are not.
First, let us delve into the bible.
It is written that homosexuality is an abomination.
Suppossedly this came right from Jesus himself.
Throughout time, we have had this drummed into our heads.
Now I ask you, do you think it is possible for God, who suppossedly is.almighty, and who created the heavens and earth, and all who inhabit it, to have a change of heart?
Is having second thoughts above and beyond the creator?
Who among us can say for absolute surity, that the creator of all has not had a change of heart, or a different plan if you will?
Perhaps homosexual people are here for one reason, and one reason only, that being to control the population.
This world can't feed and house the people it already has.
What do you think the population of this earth would ber if every homosexual person was not homosexual, and pro-created as was dictated centuries ago in the bible?
We would be over run with the population.
Enough resources could not be produced to take care of an overwelming populous.
I think the creator took a long look at what he created, and felt stringent control had to be put in place to stop the world from killing itself.
Population control is a must, and what better way to acomplish this than to creat a group of people who are not the sligest bit interested in pro-creation?
To those of you who say, it is "written in stone", and cannot be changed are only fooling yourselves.
How do you, or for that matter, anybody know for sure that our creator has not taken a good look at his creations, and come to the conclusion change was needed?
Not one of us mortals can say that with any certanty.
So to you homophobes I say, "CHILL"
Everything on this planet happens for a reason, and who are we mere mortals to dispute what may well be a devine order?
Bob.

Now I ask you, do you think it is possible for God, who suppossedly is.almighty, and who created the heavens and earth, and all who inhabit it, to have a change of heart?
Is having second thoughts above and beyond the creator?
Who among us can say for absolute surity, that the creator of all has not had a change of heart, or a different plan if you will?
Perhaps homosexual people are here for one reason, and one reason only, that being to control the population.
This world can't feed and house the people it already has.
What do you think the population of this earth would ber if every homosexual person was not homosexual, and pro-created as was dictated centuries ago in the bible?
We would be over run with the population.
Enough resources could not be produced to take care of an overwelming populous.
I think the creator took a long look at what he created, and felt stringent control had to be put in place to stop the world from killing itself.
Population control is a must, and what better way to acomplish this than to creat a group of people who are not the sligest bit interested in pro-creation?
To those of you who say, it is "written in stone", and cannot be changed are only fooling yourselves.
How do you, or for that matter, anybody know for sure that our creator has not taken a good look at his creations, and come to the conclusion change was needed?
Not one of us mortals can say that with any certanty.
So to you homophobes I say, "CHILL"
Everything on this planet happens for a reason, and who are we mere mortals to dispute what may well be a devine order?
Bob.

Where do you get the idea that "population control is a must?" The entire population of the world could live inside Texas with plenty of room for each person. This is a specious argument, as is the whole "God changing his mind about sin" thing. It sounds good because you're using your own human knowledge. But the Bible has much to say about it.

God is Immutable

Definition:

The perfection of God by which He is devoid of all change in essence, attributes, consciousness, will, and promises. No change is possible in God, because all change must be to better or worse, and God is absolute perfection. No cause for change in God exists, either in Himself or outside of Him.

Meaning:

Perfection means perfection. There is no reason for God to change because there is no change that would make Him better. However, man should be striving to be found complete and perfect in God's eyes.

Scripture Support:

Psalm 102:27
But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

James 1:17
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Hebrews 6:17 & 18
Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us.

There's a lesson in this: Stop trying to mold God into your image, where He accepts your sin and approves of your lifestyle. Instead, try to mold yourself into God's image. That's the only way to become more like Him.

Where do you get the idea that "population control is a must?" The entire population of the world could live inside Texas with plenty of room for each person. This is a specious argument, as is the whole "God changing his mind about sin" thing. It sounds good because you're using your own human knowledge. But the Bible has much to say about it.

God is Immutable

Definition:

The perfection of God by which He is devoid of all change in essence, attributes, consciousness, will, and promises. No change is possible in God, because all change must be to better or worse, and God is absolute perfection. No cause for change in God exists, either in Himself or outside of Him.

Meaning:

Perfection means perfection. There is no reason for God to change because there is no change that would make Him better. However, man should be striving to be found complete and perfect in God's eyes.

Scripture Support:

Psalm 102:27
But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

James 1:17
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Hebrews 6:17 & 18
Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us.

There's a lesson in this: Stop trying to mold God into your image, where He accepts your sin and approves of your lifestyle. Instead, try to mold yourself into God's image. That's the only way to become more like Him.

Just because it is written, does not make it so.
As a mere mortal, you have no idea what can, and cannot be changed, and that includes the decisios made by our crteator.
You only have empty,written words to back up your claim that change is not possible.
I have the power of reason behind me that proves something has created gay people, and that reason may well be population control in a starving world.
I really need to take issue with your rediculous comment about me trying to mold God's word to my lifestyle.
You have absolutely no knowledge of my lifestyle, or my religous background.
You have once again managed to dengage your brain before putting your mouth in gear.
Bob.

Great argument. Proof by assertion, and ad hominem. Your reasoning is faulty because it presumes knowledge of God without a source for that knowledge. You discount the Bible as a source, but give no reason for doing so. You simply call it empty words. That's fallacious as you cannot base this claim on anything, least of all any knowledge of the Bible. You simply suppose that the Bible is wrong, but in fact you have never actually researched it. You use that supposition as proof, which is absurd.

I have the power of reason behind me, and that tells me that you're full of crap and know nothing about the Bible.

And I wasn't talking about your lifestyle personally, I was speaking in general. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Your little slam at the end of your post is childish and ill-timed, as it has no basis, except maybe directed at your own post.

Oh , NOW I get it.
It never entered my mind reading some of your other post for the last month or so.
You are one of those die hard bible thumpers.
I should have known.
There is just no reasoning with your type.
You use the bible as your crhtches to get you through the day.
Well, to each his own.
You are so attached to that book, that you can't see the forest for the trees.
If it is in the bible, then it has to be true.
Wow man, do you have a lot to learn.
Bob.

Oh , NOW I get it.
It never entered my mind reading some of your other post for the last month or so.
You are one of those die hard bible thumpers.
I should have known.
There is just no reasoning with your type.
You use the bible as your crhtches to get you through the day.
Well, to each his own.
You are so attached to that book, that you can't see the forest for the trees.
If it is in the bible, then it has to be true.
Wow man, do you have a lot to learn.
Bob.
So when you lose the argument, you resort to abject name calling. Classic. Your hatred is palpable and pathetic.

You presume to know a lot about me. Weren't you the one who was just whining about that?

You have absolutely no knowledge of my lifestyle, or my religous background.
You have once again managed to dengage your brain before putting your mouth in gear.
Bob.
What a hypocrite.

By the way, there isn't anything in the Bible that you can point to and prove that it's false. But then again, how would you know, you haven't read it.

"By the way, there isn't anything in the Bible that you can point to and prove that it's false. But then again, how would you know, you haven't read it."

That is absolutely true, and the flip side of that is how can you offer proof that what is in there is true?
I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you.
You have your beliefs, and I have mine.
Let's just leave it at that.
Bob.

By the way, there isn't anything in the Bible that you can point to and prove that it's false. But then again, how would you know, you haven't read it.

In that case, prove to me unicorns, pegasi and minotaurs do not exist or existed at one point.

from shagdrum

"Considering the higher level of drug use in the gay community then in the normal population (here, here and here), the higher incidents of disease often from activities engaged in by homosexuals (here, here, here, here, here and here), the higher risk of suffering from psychiatric problems ( here and here) and the higher rates of violence and murder ( here, here and here), it can strongly be argued that a large portion (if not a majority) of the gay community is very self-destructive (in some manner) and is more prone to being dishonest with themselves in the areas of love, sex and relationships then even the normal population."

take any minority group that has not been accepted by the white christo majority due to factors beyond their control and you find many of the same problems. look at the native populations that were for centuries told their way of life was wrong and were segregated and force fed christian idealism's. many are returning to the older ways and turning their communities around.

so is self destructive behaviour a part of gay life or a symptom of dealing with the negativity and religiously based non-acceptance of them?

from shagdrum
"First, I didn't say it was a solely conscious choice. More often it is an unconscious thing due to psychological factors; they wouldn't realize it as a choice."

if it's not solely a conscious choice, but subconscious, then it could be something beyond ones control. this answer looks like someone backtracking themselves out of a limited corner after declaring gay is a lifestyle choice. pick a side and stop waffling.

by fossten
"By the way, there isn't anything in the Bible that you can point to and prove that it's false. But then again, how would you know, you haven't read it."

and by that you would mean all extensions of it? including the writings of any prophets named in it?

take any minority group that has not been accepted by the white christo majority due to factors beyond their control and you find many of the same problems.

Actually, a lot of that is spin to absolve people or communities of any responsibility. Look at the whole "legacy of slavery" fallacy based on the idea of blaming whitey for all the black community's ills, when it can be shown that the vast majority of the black community's problems today are internal and don't stem from slavery.

look at the native populations that were for centuries told their way of life was wrong and were segregated and force fed christian idealism's. many are returning to the older ways and turning their communities around.

What? I haven't seen any native american community turning to "old ways" to turn their communities around. I have seen many communities stop relying on the federal government and be responsible for themselves, which has caused a turn around in those communities. Cite some examples.

so is self destructive behaviour a part of gay life or a symptom of dealing with the negativity and religiously based non-acceptance of them?

You are mischaracterizing it as an either or thing when it is not. It is a combination of factors (as I have been saying). Still, there is a level of personal responsibility that your argument absolves them of.

The gay community is different from other communities (like the native american community) in that someone isn't often born and raised in the gay community. More often they are born into a family with a predisposition to being self-destructive; a broken household, or a single parent, drug use in the house, questionable people around the children, domestic violence, whatever. They become gay as a result of some of those emotionally scaring and/or psychologically traumatizing experiences in that childhood.

Basically, people are not born into the gay community, like they are into the Native American community. So the analogy is fallacious; a false analogy.

if it's not solely a conscious choice, but subconscious, then it could be something beyond ones control.

So it is "beyond their control"...so what? I am sure that many rapists, serial killers, pedophiles, etc. can make the same claim. Is society supposed to change their standards to allow for their proclivities? NAMBLA would love that!

This answer looks like someone backtracking themselves out of a limited corner after declaring gay is a lifestyle choice. pick a side and stop waffling.

You are now assuming my argument is claiming that the lifestyle choice I am talking about here is an exclusively (or largely) conscious thing, when the opposite has been the case (and you acknowledged as much in the previous sentence). When I first brought up "lifestyle choice" in this thread, I messed up and didn't make that distinction clear. But in every post since (where I expanded on what I meant by "lifestyle choice"), I have been very clear that it is due to subconscious factors the vast majority of the time. You are ignoring that, to disingenuously set up that straw man mischaracterization of my definition of "lifestyle choice".

More importantly, you are shifting the focus of the debate away from the argument I am making to me personally (ad hominem reasoning), and trying to discredit me. That says nothing about the credibility of the argument I am making.

by fossten

and by that you would mean all extensions of it? including the writings of any prophets named in it?
I meant what I said. Nice try.

nice try about what. book of enoch. next you'll be telling me the earth is flat, let alone 6000 years old.

Prove to me that you love your father.
You could witness me show "love" to my father, through things like respect, making sacrifices for him etc., which could translate as being "love". There are also chemical and electrical happenings in the brain that can be registered during different emotional states. So technically, it could be proved.

What was your point with that exactly?

My point: There are things in the bible that are as ridiculous as believing in pixies. Though you can't factually prove/disprove the existance of pixies, logic and reasoning tell you they're just make believe.

Members online

Back