Garbone's new project..."Project Puma"

Nice My son has a 68 parts car setting up in the field No motor or interior keep up the good work.

We re-modded the front and rear suspension...
It went up 3/4" in front, and down 1" in the rear...you guys will be amazed at my side - by - side shots of the Cougar, and the LS. Its virtually the same sized car. I will post them tonight.

As to rust areas, we will be chasing some of that this year, and yes we will tear everything down for paint. But, we put it all together, and to be honest, some of it has been done twice anyway...you know, "oops, gotta do that after all"...or..."oops, should have done that first"...you know the drill.

Nice work!

Now where's the motor pics :shifty::D

As soon as the car is back on the road, we will start back on the engine.
Just have to get a new driveshaft, and then it will have the go.
We need to finish the interior, then we will be able to actually drive it.

That Shelby Drop took it down ALOT !
I love the lower look though.

Its nice to see to boys out there working on it.

...and a full coil out of the new springs...it went down too far, and I have inserted some 3/4" insulators at the top...looks allot better. I also added 1" drop blocks to the rear and that went along way towards the right appearance...the pics will be up tomorrow.

My oldest finished the Dyna-mat yesterday, and we will be fitting the carpet tonight...its been great to have a common project to connect over. When I was his age, my dad worked in a different city, and I saw him on the weekends...bummer.

I didn't see if you searched the rear trunk along the sides where the fenders connect to the floor on up to the fender wells, as this is a favorite spot for rust in these cars. Project looks great, I did one with my sons and they are now grown up and better for the experience.

Yes, we did.
I have a small amount of cancer behind the right rear window corner, and on the same side down low, behind the wheel opening. about a "quarter" in size, and not eaten clear thru. It is in the area where the metal comes together, between the wheel tub, and the edge of the wheel opening.
It will get some sheetmetal patches when it comes time for body, and paint. In the mean time, we will chase it a bit, by making sure it doesnt get any worse.

Yes, we did.
I have a small amount of cancer behind the right rear window corner, and on the same side down low, behind the wheel opening. about a "quarter" in size, and not eaten clear thru. It is in the area where the metal comes together, between the wheel tub, and the edge of the wheel opening.
It will get some sheetmetal patches when it comes time for body, and paint. In the mean time, we will chase it a bit, by making sure it doesnt get any worse.
Howdy 'G'---
I got a '67 XR7GT from my Dad when it was about a year old. I pulled the 390 and put a 427 in. By the way, you KNOW you hafta put an FE engine in, don't ya? Check out 332-428 Ford FE engine forum. Check with me with any questions.
KenS from Ben's Place

...and a full coil out of the new springs...it went down too far, and I have inserted some 3/4" insulators at the top...looks allot better. I also added 1" drop blocks to the rear and that went along way towards the right appearance...the pics will be up tomorrow.

My oldest finished the Dyna-mat yesterday, and we will be fitting the carpet tonight...its been great to have a common project to connect over. When I was his age, my dad worked in a different city, and I saw him on the weekends...bummer.

Its hard to tell when the engine is out.
your going to have to wait untill the drive train is in to see were the suspension is going to wind up.
When the drive train is in...loosen everything then retighten to specs then you can set the ride height.
I would do that before painting the body, less chance if doing damage to new paint.

I always wanted to go this route.

http://www.rjays.com/Front_End/early-must-frt-end-01.htm

Spendy but nice for your car.
I might get it for the falcon.

The great thing about getting the boys out there is teaching what hard work can bring.
What it can accomplish and the feeling of pride which each step that is finished.
Have fun with it :)

Howdy 'G'---
I got a '67 XR7GT from my Dad when it was about a year old. I pulled the 390 and put a 427 in. By the way, you KNOW you hafta put an FE engine in, don't ya? Check out 332-428 Ford FE engine forum. Check with me with any questions.
KenS from Ben's Place

20+ years ago, I did a 450+hp 390, in a '66 Fairlane GTA...
One of my oldest friends is a car guy, and he keeps saying ...big block...big block...big block.....I am going to think about doing another BB for this, but for now, a 17yo is going to be driving it, and he will need some driving experience before we turn him loose on something like that!

Once the new 302(308-40 thou over) goes in, we will be putting around 300hp to the ground, and for now, that is enough...

...but...the new rear springs were made for the "E" code '68...:D

Its hard to tell when the engine is out.
your going to have to wait untill the drive train is in to see were the suspension is going to wind up.
When the drive train is in...loosen everything then retighten to specs then you can set the ride height.
I would do that before painting the body, less chance if doing damage to new paint.

I always wanted to go this route.

http://www.rjays.com/Front_End/early-must-frt-end-01.htm

Spendy but nice for your car.
I might get it for the falcon.

The great thing about getting the boys out there is teaching what hard work can bring.
What it can accomplish and the feeling of pride which each step that is finished.
Have fun with it :)

We are having a blast, and it is so addicting...I havent been to bed before 11, for the past 2 weeks.

Actually, the entire driveline is in, except for the new driveshaft I am getting for it...today!

Sorry for no pics, I was too busy working on the car...I promise tomorrow. It really amazes me how close the Cougar is to the LS, physically.

very nice... I dont think that is the orignial paint.. but great project car.. what cam and heads are planed for the 5.0... I would go with the compucam 2031, with the holley systemmax EFI intake and GT40P heads... that thing will move... somewhere around 350 crank HP!

GT40P heads don't work with all headers or manifolds, spark plugs are located different.

Cool project Garbone.

It is the original paint. It was the gold, with gold interior...we went black interior, but what the hey.
Original paint is cool, as there will be less in the way of a complete paint job.

Not sure on the top end yet...depends on budget.
What i do know, is, we will be doing a 4bbl induction.

The cam is a Comp Cams .512" lift, and 286Deg duration w/roller lifters. In a B&B lower end, this cam will sing from 2500 - 6K rpm, provided I add the right heads, and intake.

Here are the pics...

New Stance 1.jpg

New Stance 2.jpg

New Stance 3.jpg

New Stance 4.jpg

LS comp 1.jpg

LS comp 2.jpg

LS comp 3.jpg

Ha!
We let the Cat out for a short prowl last night...we will get pics of it tomorrow, in the daylight.
Geoff(my 17yo) was so excited, I had to send him off to bed to get him to quit for the night...that was at 11!
Monday it gets new tranny tube connections, and on Tuesday, it goes in for alignment.
Once these 2 chores are done, we will tweek the engine tune, and drive it!

oops, its been several tomorrows, but here you go...the Cat is now a daily driver.
the things I've touched to get it on the road;
Tranny resealed
rear diff re-bearinged, and re-sealed
new drive shaft
new rear springs
new 1" drop blocks
new modified front springs
new brakes on all four corners
shelby drop mod, for front end
complete new/re-done interior(sans final upolstery)
new light switch
new drivers side grille(after sons best friend backed into it)
re-built the carb...man she runs nice now!

I am sure we will have lots of nights and weekends to keep this on the road!

Coug3.JPG

Coug1.JPG

Coug2.JPG

Coug4.JPG

Coug5.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back