Garbone's new project..."Project Puma"

Garbone

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well Guys,
I have 2 teenage boys, and it is time to get them to be "car guys."
I will update this thread as we progress. Anyone wants to comment, great. If you want to just look, that's great as well.
If anyone has gone thru a '68 Cougar, well, I would like to talk to you, to get some pointers, and suggestions, and tricks.
Anyway, here is our starting platform, which I drove home last night.
Enjoy...

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Dam she looks good. Looks like a solid car. Some of the best memoris I have from growing up was helping my dad build his cuda's and duster's. You should get a lot of quality hours with your boys working on that.

Theirs a older guy where I hunt that has a malibu chevelle all covered up in his barn with a 427 vette engine in it. I've been trying to buy it from him for years so me and my dad could fix it up.

Thanks, she seams to be very solid...and the guy had 4 15 x 7 alloy rims, that went with it.
Also, when I inspected the car, I pulled the air filter housing off, and found a 4 barrel under it, not the 2v, the sticker shows!

Looks nice :)
My first car at 16 was a 68 Cougar XR7
You a have 68 XR7 on your hands :cool:
I have had at least a half dozen cougars since.
Right now I am sitting on a 67 shell I have had for a long time.
Look were the fenders bolt on for rust bubbles it will start were seams are....pull the trunk mat out and look at the rear quarters there is a compartment there by the rear frame rails if its been mudded you will see the bondo.
Floor boards solid ?
Car is from Washington right ? It should not have much for rust.

Here is a place with some slick stuff.

http://critesrestoration.com/mustang.htm

Here is the place you need to go the guys can answer any question you might have.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/

I am not a member there but its a good place.

Doesn't the "2V" stand for 2 valves (per cylinder)?

Either way, the exterior of that car looks pretty damn nice!! Can't wait to hear that motor run (post videos :D)..should sound a lot like my '87 LSC!!

Looks nice :)
My first car at 16 was a 68 Cougar XR7
You a have 68 XR7 on your hands :cool:
I have had at least a half dozen cougars since.
Right now I am sitting on a 67 shell I have had for a long time.
Look were the fenders bolt on for rust bubbles it will start were seams are....pull the trunk mat out and look at the rear quarters there is a compartment there by the rear frame rails if its been mudded you will see the bondo.
Floor boards solid ?
Car is from Washington right ? It should not have much for rust.

Here is a place with some slick stuff.

http://critesrestoration.com/mustang.htm

Here is the place you need to go the guys can answer any question you might have.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/

I am not a member there but its a good place.

I will definatively be picking your brain!
Thanks for the references!
Thankfully, the rust is superficial, and there is no bondo, anywhere. This car has never been hit.

I will update this as significant changes take place, and I am high tech savy, with 2 teenage boys who are as well, so nice vids will be forthcoming, as we get them.

Either way, the exterior of that car looks pretty damn nice!! Can't wait to hear that motor run (post videos :D)..should sound a lot like my '87 LSC!!

If it had the correct sticker for the car, it would say "4V".

Vids will be coming!!!

We cant wait!...:D:D:D:D:D

2v=2 barrel carb 4v= 4 barrel carb....its the 60s my boy.

Bug me anytime Garbone your car looks like a older resto that stoped when they got to the Int.
If you dont mind me askin how much did it cost ?
The engine compartment was redone when the motor was out of the car.
Is it a 302 ?
What motor is on the stand ?
If your going to change motors a stroked windsor is the ticket. :cool:
Does it have the 8 inch rear ?

I have sooooo many parts its not funny.
I was just kickin around unloading all my Cougar stuff to fund a gen 2 project.
Talk nice to me and I might dig around and find a dash pad thats in good shape ;)

2v=2 barrel carb 4v= 4 barrel carb....its the 60s my boy.

Bug me anytime Garbone your car looks like a older resto that stoped when they got to the Int.
If you dont mind me askin how much did it cost ?
The engine compartment was redone when the motor was out of the car.
Is it a 302 ?
What motor is on the stand ?
If your going to change motors a stroked windsor is the ticket. :cool:
Does it have the 8 inch rear ?

I have sooooo many parts its not funny.
I was just kickin around unloading all my Cougar stuff to fund a gen 2 project.
Talk nice to me and I might dig around and find a dash pad thats in good shape ;)

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh ....I think you just became my best friend!!!!

It is original paint and interior...some sort of special XR7 "gold" package...I havent decoded the door code yet.

The motor in the car is in fact a 4V 302.
The motor on the stand is a mustang 5L, poked 40 over...now it is 308ci.

Yes, it is an 8" diff...I will probably go with a 9" crate rear end, with disc brakes.

If you get a chance, please PM me with a list of stuff, that we may be able to do business on.

Update!
We have the rear end re-sealed, and bearinged.
The trans has been re-sealed...and looked brand new inside(only 127K on the clock)
The rear springs, shocks, and u-bolts have all been updated, with a 1" drop.
The front has recieved the "Shelby Drop", with a coil out of the front springs...dropped too low, so I added a 3/4" insulator at the top.
Brakes have all been gone thru, and are ready for the street.
Rust has been chased as far as we are going to, at this point...only surface...only 2 small holes that got fixed.
The glass is finally in, after we installed the new headliner. We are ready to finish the interior.
All new door, and belt line weather stripping in installed, and all windows have been adjusted for a weather tight fit, with NO rattling!

It will be back on its wheels and tires, this weekend, and by the Saturday after tomorrow, it will see its first road trip, since I drove it home.

We are very jazzed. We will chase whatever arises this school year, and then jump into it again, in the spring.

The new wheels will get new skins in the next 2 weeks, so it will be functionally, mechanically sound...but wont look like much, until next spring when we paint it.

Thats it for now...

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

pic 22.JPG

pic 32.JPG

pic 42.JPG

I didn't see if you searched the rear trunk along the sides where the fenders connect to the floor on up to the fender wells, as this is a favorite spot for rust in these cars. Project looks great, I did one with my sons and they are now grown up and better for the experience.

That Shelby Drop took it down ALOT !
I love the lower look though.

Its nice to see to boys out there working on it.

looking great
kinda sucks that next spring you will have to take it all apart
to paint it

Members online

No members online now.
Back