FYI: Dorman vs OEM degas bottle

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, the LS overheated on Saturday. I parked it at the liquor store of which I happened to be in front. Which was rather handy, as I was pissed, and a bottle seemed like a good idea. :)

Picked up a new degas bottle cap this morning from the dealer. Doesn't fit the threads on the tank.

I didn't even think about the threads possibly not matching up. But a few years ago, I installed a Dorman degas bottle. Turns out they have slighty different sized caps. I could hear a croaking noise coming from the degas bottle area when the cooling system first starts to pressurize, so my first thought was the cap.

Just an FYI to anyone who has a Dorman part installed, the caps are different sizes. I can take the oem cap and slide it right over the dorman threads without turning.

I predict that you will keep having overheat problems until you replace the Dorman with Motorcraft.

I predict that you will keep having overheat problems until you replace the Dorman with Motorcraft.

Probably. It was worth the $5 risk to buy a cap and find out for certain though.

What is about the time for Motorcraft Degas fail? around 30-40k?

My Doorman has been going for the last 32k. I can tell it will be time to replace probably within the next 10k.

Just wondering if you really get the money worth of Motorcraft when they also fail anyways.

Wasn't someone trying to fabricate an aluminum degas for us all? They would enter the hall of fame immediately.

Lincolnlogs was working with Dorman using my design to try and get the aluminum degas bottle in production but I haven't heard from him since just after his accident. My aluminum degas bottle is doing great so far and I don't predict any issues except maybe replacing the cap eventually. Pektel is correct...the Dorman and Motorcraft caps are different. The Motorcraft bottle is made fom a thicker and harder plastic than the dorman. The OEM bottle lasts 100, 000 miles or longer. The Dorman bottle had lasted me 30, 000 at the longest.

My Doorman has been going for the last 32k. I can tell it will be time to replace probably within the next 10k.

Just wondering if you really get the money worth of Motorcraft when they also fail anyways.

Got 116K (so far) on one and had ~150K on another.

Yea so that is definitely worth it. Where is everyone buying a motorcraft bottle? I see rockauto does not carry and ebay warrants used ones.

Here is some great news:

Called OReilly's to just check the price on another Dorman (The car has 184K, I don't need one that lasts another 100K).

They went into their system, got a price on a Dorman for 94.99 + tax. Then told me they have a lifetime warranty. They still have my info from May 6, 2010 when I ordered the one currently in the car. Getting the replacement one for free. :)

Here is some great news:

Called OReilly's to just check the price on another Dorman (The car has 184K, I don't need one that lasts another 100K).

They went into their system, got a price on a Dorman for 94.99 + tax. Then told me they have a lifetime warranty. They still have my info from May 6, 2010 when I ordered the one currently in the car. Getting the replacement one for free. :)

Nice. I didn't know they came with lifetime warranty.

I was rather surprised. Guess a perk of buying local is being able to pull old degas bottle, drive the second car to OReilly's, take new bottle, leave old bottle. No long ship times, or shipping defective parts first. And next day delivery for free.

Yea that is cool. But definitely not worth changing every 30k. Lesson learned for me, going to order Motorcraft when it is time.

1 hose clamp pliers and a set of sockets. Job is really easy. 1/2 hour job. Just have to remove the hose at the firewall instead of the bottom of the tank.

Right on schedule.

My Dorman began failing this week, small puddles of coolant gathering by the wheel. Luckily I have a motorcraft bottle on standby that I got for a steala few months ago.

Now I am having trouble finding a motorcraft cap. It feels like the Dorman cap fits over the motorocraft tank just fine, but this thread has me thinking otherwise.

I may have to try it out with the dorman cap and see... Sounds like the dealer could sell just the cap though (according to pektel's posts)?

Has anyone given thought to a fabrication that makes no attempt to duplicate the original 'tank' and instead simply acts as a high point, fill point and manifold for the various hoses? I have 150K on my '02 and no failure yet. (Oops, I shouldn'ta said that. Now it'll go!)

KS

I have a Motorcraft cap on my Dorman replacement, fits fine. I got my Dorman from Autozone, I think it has a lifetime replacement too. Found my motorcraft cap at Bennett Auto, though it might a local chain to south florida.

Ford cap fit on my Dorman Bottle bought from NAPA. Bad news is Dorman Bottle cracked in 9 months.

Has anyone given thought to a fabrication that makes no attempt to duplicate the original 'tank' and instead simply acts as a high point, fill point and manifold for the various hoses? I have 150K on my '02 and no failure yet. (Oops, I shouldn'ta said that. Now it'll go!)

KS

Would that leave enuf coolant in the engine to provide proper cooling? Just thinking out loud. I guess the bottle doesn't really hold much anyway. If this would work then there is probably something we could buy already made.

Btw...my custom aluminum bottle is doing great except the site glass on the side has become foggy.

Instead of further 'polluting' this thread I've started a new one regarding a 'different' sort of aluminium degas bottle. I'll appreciate your input.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back