Fuel Ventilation?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed on my LSE V8 is it take a LONG LONG time to fill the tank and you have to pump the gas very very slowly otherwise the gas nozzle will click off if set on the Fuel clip, even when it is no where near full. The line going from the gas cap to the tank itself is maybe 1.5-2" ID ....I think? Which is somewhat small but bigger than the gas pump hose so that shouldnt cause the restriction problem. So could it be possible the tank is not vented enough? Or where do you guys think I should start looking for the problem...Note: it's way worse in winter

When this happened to my subaru, it was a little valve in the upper area of the fill pipe which bolts in on two studs attached to the fill pipe. When it fails, you have to keep turning the pump nozzle repeatedly to fill it up. Pretty universal issue, I believe. And that valve is the reason you don't keep clicking the pump on after it shuts off (in normal conditions) at the full line. If you keep adding fuel, it flows into the canister where only fumes should be flowing. Then the canister goes bad.

I just checked, none of this stuff is available any longer, and apparently, the LS fill tube is just a fill tube, so the vapor recovery system must tie in somewhere else on this car. Ah vapour recovery bits are still available!
1653761847136.png

My 2006 does this with higher fill rate gas pumps. When it happens put two fingers between the lip of the cars fuel fill tube and the vapor seal on the gas pump hose to allow a bit of venting. Basically it puts the black plasic spring area back slightly and solves the problem.

1653862589552.png

My 2006 does this with higher fill rate gas pumps. When it happens put two fingers between the lip of the cars fuel fill tube and the vapor seal on the gas pump hose to allow a bit of venting. Basically it puts the black plasic spring area back slightly and solves the problem.

View attachment 828577224
Okay I will give it a try for sure! Thanks for chiming in!

Update: Last weekend I unscrewed all three bolts on the filler hose gas compartment and pulled around on the hose ...I filled my car up yesterday from Empty until Full with no issues ...crossing fingers my car will continue without anymore issues ... I'll keep you posted

Members online

Back