Fuel Pump or EGR?

Dmaup

94m5 wanna be
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some help. I tried searching and found nothing of much help. Tonight when I went to move my car I started it and it was running fine. When I went to take off it started stalling and was unresponsive. When i floored it the engine didn't rev up it just stalled out and died. I tried starting it again and the same thing, but the third time i tried it started right up and ran fine. It has me really confused. I don't know if its the fuel pump or a malfunctioning EGR. I had a code about a month about of EGR flow excessive. When that happened I cleaned the EGR and the code went away. If you guys have any ideas or a direction you can point me I would be grateful. Thanks in advance

Dmaup

Both!

Umm, ok, maybe I should read it first.....

Could be the fuel pump, need a pressure reading at rail though. EGR, probably not since they generally dont cause a stall condition unless compounded by other problems. My guess is IAC (idle air control valve thingy).

Year?

Both!

Umm, ok, maybe I should read it first.....

Could be the fuel pump, need a pressure reading at rail though. EGR, probably not since they generally dont cause a stall condition unless compounded by other problems. My guess is IAC (idle air control valve thingy).

Year?

It's a 97 with 105000 miles. What I'm trying to figure out is if it's safe to drive home about 100 miles because I don't have anywhere to work on it at school. My dad is going to do fuel pressure reading when i get home, can anyone tell me what it is supposed to be? Thanks in advance

Dmaup

Just looked on alldatadiy for my 93' It says: Key on: 35 - 45 psi

Engine running: 28 - 33 psi

Not sure if same for your year but hope this helps!

Thats about right with fuel pressure. By the way, on 97 the IAC is EASY to get to. Right on top the engine, right hear the throttle body. Its a silver cylinder held on by two bolts and a squeeze style wire harness. So if by chance it is it, just give it a whack with something and see if it then starts fine.....

It will look A LOT like the bugger in the upper left of this photo. Conveniently, also in the photo, is something that *may* be the problem too, the fuel pressure regulator.But thats a stretch since when the fail, you will get no start all the time.

vac4.jpg

Thanks for you help. I will give these things a try and if that doesn't work i will come back for some more ideas. Thanks again

Dmaup

sounds like a fuel prob, the iac wouldn't matter when the gas is depressed. id say either its the pump or the wiring for the pump, when it doesn't start, give it a SMALL shot of starting fluid (or anything flammable) if it runs for a sec that means you got no fuel. as for your egr excessive flow 99.9% of the time its the DPFE it looks at exhaust psi for a drop=egr open or closed and as exhaust runs into it it gets full of water and throws stupid codes, ford actually has a bulletin for these codes in most ford vehicles, and its around $100 (just a guess i forgot what mine costs)

I vote for fuel pump but I also had a similar problem when my cats were clogged too.

If it is the fuel pump do I just put a stock one back in or do i follow the article in the tech pages? If I use a diffent one whats the price difference and what will I see for gains?

My car is 50/50 off the line if i dont luanch it if i floor it from idle it bogs out and doesent move like it usually does, sometimes on a roll it will hesitate it comes and goes though could it be the fuel pump giving out not enough psi as it should?

Members online

No members online now.
Back