Fuel Pump Install.

StraDog

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's definently time for the new fuel pump to be replaced. I got a 255 Walbro which is going to be put in. Does anyone have a set of instructions to remove and install a new fuel pump ? I sort of want to do this on my own saving me some money. I also got a fuel pressure regulator that was purchased from LMS, are there any things I need to do while installing the new regulator. Any step by step instructions for either of these will be greatly appreciated. Just trying to seek some expertise from some of you's here. :feed

Thanks for your time.

I am sure someone will chime in, maybe Geno. Please do a step by step install with pics for both items for the Tech section. Thanks.

MonsterMark said:
I am sure someone will chime in, maybe Geno. Please do a step by step install with pics for both items for the Tech section. Thanks.

I will definently make an attempt to do so. I'm going to try and get it done by this weekend. I got a craving for some racing.

It should be a direct swap on a 1st gen. Don't worry, once you drop the tank, it's a walk in the park.

When dropping the tank, you have to pay attention to all the hoses that have to be disconnected before you can actually take it down. It would be a lot easier on the lift, but it can be done on the jackstands.

StraDog said:
I will definently make an attempt to do so. I'm going to try and get it done by this weekend. I got a craving for some racing.

I need to drop my tank for the same flow pump. Let me know how it goes. . .

Sifrino3 said:
I need to drop my tank for the same flow pump. Let me know how it goes. . .

Hopefully I remember to bring my camera with while installing. If not I will do a brief step by step write up. Should'nt be too hard after dropping the tank. I'll keep ya posted.

Make sure to vent the pressure from the fuel system BEFORE you start this by using the schrader valve under the hood on the drivers side fuel rail (have a rag handy too....so you do not get fuel all over the place, or in your face.......use a lil common sense?)

Here is a link to the actual pump replacement AFTER the removal of the tank from the car. You have to drop the exhaust out of the car to get the tank out. Now, I did not remove the exhaust, but I just dropped it as far as I could with the car up on jack stands (on the next to highest setting). Then wiggled the livin hell out of it to get it out........here is what I did (this is assuming that you have already dropped the exhaust):

Tools Needed:
5/16 nut driver
flathead screwdrivers (regular size, and a smaller one)
3/8 drive ratchet
3/8 drive extensions (3 and 6 inch....might need to be used in conjunction)
15MM socket 3/8 drive
Hammer

1) Turn off the air ride system.

2) Jack the rear of the car up as high as you can, and place stands under the car.

3) Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel filler neck (2 hoses....one larger, and one smaller) they are held in by pipe clamps...use either the 5/16 nut driver, or one of the screwdrivers.

4) Disconnect the one side of the jumper fuel line at the very rear of the fuel tank....only one side needs to be removed.....use either the nut driver, or screwdriver.

5) Remove the front passenger side 15 MM tank strap bolt.

6) Loosen, but do not remove, the rear passenger side 15 MM tank strap bolt.

7) Swing the passenger side tank strap out of the way of the tank.

8) With a hydraulic jack under passenger side of the tank to hold it in place, loosen, but do not remove, the front drivers side 15 MM tank strap bolt.

9) Lower the tank slowly with the hydraulic jack so as to allow yourself access to the hoses on top of the tank....there are 4 of them.

10) Disconnect wires on the front middle of the tank for the fuel pump.

11) Remove the 4 hoses on top of the tank. The highes 2 are just slid onto the connector. The 2 connected to the fuel pump housing are held in by clips, use the smaller of the 2 screwdrivers to remove the clips (DO NOT LOSE these clips, you will need them for reinstallation).

12) Completely remove the 15MM drivers side tank strap bolts.

13) Lower the tank completely to allow removal from the car.

14) Remove the fuel pump from the tank by placing the screwdriver blade on the ring that wedges the pump housing to the tank and hitting the screwdriver with a hammer in a counter clockwise rotation to remove ring.

15) Remove fuel pump and level float from the tank.

16) Remove bolt that holds the pump to the bracket (forget the size of the bolt), and remove the strap around the pump.

17) Remove fuel hose between pump and bracket housing.

18) Unplug wire harness from pump....remove pump.

19) Remove the rubber isolator from old pump, you will have to remove the filter on the bottom of the old pump to remove the rubber isolator......believe it or not, just break it off, if you have a new pump, they come with new filters.

20) Place rubber isolator on new fuel pump, and follow new pump directions on installation of the filter.

21) Temporarily place new pump in bracket, now cut new hose to fit between new pump and the pump housing.

22) Remove the new pump, and place new hose on pump and housing using new hose clamps to keep it fuel tight.

23) Plug in pump wires.

24) Place new pump back in bracket, and place the strap back on and tighten the bolt that holds it in place.

25) Now, reverse steps 14 - 1 to place tank back in car.

**Use the link above that has pix of the fuel pump for orientation of pump in bracket, along with the wiring and hose.**

Not all inclusive, but you get the idea....hope that helps!

Last edited:
Sifrino3 said:
It wasn't so I could know what to expect. Just to know how it went. Calm down. . .
Why should he calm down? He isn't rung up. He was trying to help you out, and you talk down to him. How is that helping this community out? He helps you, and you tell him what to do. How about "thank you"?

Well, this install article is on a 96 Chevy Impala, but inreality it shouldn't be a whole lot different since in-tank pumps are pretty much the same for the most part.

http://www.badbodies.com/tech.htm

Has instructions and pictures. Good luck!

Jon...check your AOL crap, I'm gonna be up there soon. I'd be more than happy to stop by and help you get it in. Let me know if that will work for you.

Mike

:Bang Thanks again, Mike. LOL. Over one full year, and it's still not in. WoW, I am one lazyyy individual. Now let's see how long it takes from here...

Members online

No members online now.
Back