Fuel Pump Help

rrudd2

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump on my 93 died. Ordered a Walbro replacement and it arrived today.

Because my exhaust guy welded the exhaust all the way up to the front of the car, I had to get at the pump thru the passenger compartment, rather than drop the tank. I cut a hole similar to the one in this picture:

fuelpumptop.jpg

So, how do I disconnect the wires circled in red?

you don't. not there anyway. there is a big connector for everything farther down those wires.

+1

I can't believe people accept cutting holes into a unibody chassis for stuff like this. The whole exaust system drops VERY easily.

I could'nt fathom cutting a hole like that in my Mark.

Jeez, Cut the exhaust and add flanges, don't cut the damn car!

Fuel tank power connector

Those wires are the electrical feed to fuel pump and checking for power delivered there to the fuel pump is a good place to check with multimeter for voltage supply,(another good place to check is in the trunk at the inertia cut off switch at its connector.) When key is turned on for about three seconds pump is priming fuel rail.
Those wires in the red circle lead forward of the fuel tank towards the rear drive shaft u-joint area to a connector.
The fuel tank assembler may have pinched the wires between the plastic fuel tank and the metal tank strap shroud and loosening the tank strap bolts and supporting fuel tank may be required to also allow enough room to feed the electrical connector back to the red circle. Of course this means having the car up on jack stands to get under fuel tank and a third jack and a four foot 4x6 to help support the durable plastic fuel tank still to loosen the fuel tank strap bolts. You will need to take notice the corner notch on top/forward fuel tank near the red circle where to feed the wire connector, its a tight fit don't force the connector though this area.
Because of this wire connector in the red circle this defeats the "hole" idea. Because a socket still must be placed on tank strap bolts to allow enough room to feed connector to red circle or the wire has been pinched by the fuel tank assembler.

When I did the fuel pump on my '96 a few years ago, I almost wish I had just cut a damn hole in the floor to get to it. The pump died with a FULL tank of gas:eek: I had to change the pump with the car up on ramps, lying on my back, in my gravel driveway, using a 2-ton floor jack and a 2x4 to support that friggin heavy a$$ tank while I twisted and contorted myself to get the thing changed out. It was not fun. By contrast, I changed the pump out of my Exploder a couple of weeks ago with only a couple of gallons in the tank. Took less than half an hour. Pie job:)

Members online

Back