Fuel gauge not working

hytzh8r

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge does not work at all. The needle stays below "E" all the time when the car is running. But the needle does move a little, when the car is off it will jump up a little above "E". I've pulled the sending unit out, but it appears visibly okay, I don't see anything broken. I'm thinking it could be something electrical in my wiring, but I've not had a chance to test wires yet. Has anyone experienced the same problems? Thanks.

not very often i would get a fuel data computer error on my 00 LS. it would say i had a full tank when i only put 20 bucks in. Itwould be all over the place. I just reset the computer and it never happened again

there a sender on each pump - you should be able to test them with a ohm meter.

Sorry to frankenstien an old post, but HOW can you ohm test the pumps? What readings should one get?

Sorry to frankenstien an old post, but HOW can you ohm test the pumps? What readings should one get?

The fuel gauge system has a saddle-type fuel tank with 2 integrated fuel senders: the fuel delivery module and the jet pump module. The fuel delivery module is located on the right side of the fuel tank, and the jet pump module is located on the left side of the fuel tank. The fuel level status is sent directly to the REM, which is hardwired to the fuel senders. The REM sends the fuel data to the instrument cluster via the communication network. Normal operating range of the fuel delivery module is from 16 ± 2 ohms at empty (E) to 155 ± 4 ohms at full (F). The normal operating range of the jet pump module sender is from 19 ± 2 ohms at empty (E) to 160 ± 2 ohms at full (F). If either the REM or the jet pump module fuel sender has an open or shorted signal, the instrument cluster logs diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1201. If the jet pump module sender is open, the fuel gauge defaults to the fuel delivery module sender value only and the fuel gauge indicates E to 1/2 tank (depending on the fuel level on the fuel delivery module side of the tank). If the fuel delivery module is open, the fuel gauge defaults to the empty position.

http://www.deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xd1003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-B

.... If the jet pump module sender is open, the fuel gauge defaults to the fuel delivery module sender value only and the fuel gauge indicates E to 1/2 tank (depending on the fuel level on the fuel delivery module side of the tank). ...

Ok, this is my problem. At first, when I swapped out the jet pump on the right (passenger side), the fuel gauge read zero. I unhooked the battery for about an hour, then plugged it back in. The gauge (from what I thought) was now reading right since it said 20 M.T.E.. However, over the next day, it swiftly dropped to 3 MTE. This morning, while driving to the gas station, it jumped up to 10 MTE, then 40 MTE. I knew something was wrong.

After I filled it up completely, the gauge only jumped to half full.

So according to your response, I have an open in my jet pump.... Or is my thought process wrong?

That seems likely. However, there's no reason to guess at it. The links included simple tests that you can do to be certain where the problem is.

Welp, I found the problem. Took the fuel Pump out and some how the floating arm got stuck on part a plastic tab that is part of the fuel pump. Popped the arm free, put everything together, started the car and BAM!! it works!!!!

I LOVE THIS CAR!!! You can practically get to anything on the car and fix it yourself.(well, almost)

AND I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!

or need to remove a couple of bolts on the drivers coil, or valve covers...

Members online

Back