Frozen doors??

05'LSRN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Way too often when I go out to my LS the doors either, won't open or when I open them, they will not close until the car has been warming up for a long time. While it has been really freakin cold in Chicagoland (-30 ) today, this has happened when it was in the 20's and 30's as well. I'm wondering, could this be some kind of moisture getting into the doors, or a problem with the locks? Thanks for any replies, it has been happening a lot lately and I'm not sure if I should take it into the dealer or it's just another blessing of winter. Thanks:)

I've had the problem before but not too severe. Maybe put a wax or sealant on the doorjambs to help prevent the moisture from sticking to the door. It might help, but I've never done it.

i had this problem tonight.....the passenger door opened no problem...but it wouldnt close after. tried lithium spray as well as graphite spray all over the latch (and my fu**in eye lol ) and it still didnt work. Ran it through a car wash to try and warm it up a bit....now its sitting outside with a rope tied through the door handle and to the steering wheel so it wont be open all night.....help!!

I've had this sort of problem with various cars over the years. In every case, the difficulty was caused by lubricant thickened by the cold. You must first remove all the grease in the lock. I've found that one of the spray solvents---even starter fluid---to be good for this removal. Then a spray lubricant can be put back into the mechanism. It's worked for me!
KS

sounds like a great idea...ill try it in the morning! thanks man

I have a AC/DC converter in my car and carry a small hair dryer with me for when my doors freeze. I always seem to be able to get in but the lock sticks so it won't shut. It usually takes less than 5 minutes to thaw the lock so it closes.

Well it happened to me after it rained and I assumed mioture got into the latches and locks as it froze overnight, at about 25 degrees. However it has snowed and been in the negative temperatures in the past couple of days and no problems.
My local dealership says it was just like I thought, and my father who has
30+ years of car repair experience agreed. He said to spray the latches with WD-40 to eliminate the moisture.

Do not confuse latch with lock; lock should be free of lubricant other than maybe dry graphite.

Haven't had mine long. Have not had that problem(yet) but it seems just about every time it snows the drivers door will not unlock with the remote but key seems to unlock it. The other doors are fine.

so....took a heat gun to the latch area today.....drops of water continually dripped for about 3 or 4 minutes....WD-40 cleaned all the old grease out, hopefully displaced and remaining moisture. Re greased and it works great!

doesn't matter if you own a 5k or 100k car its all the same. The only difference is a 100k car is usually in a garage. I used to pour a hot cup of water along the door seam to get it open then wipe it down with atowel so it doesn't freeze again. You want a solution, move to San diego or a whales vagina.

Members online

No members online now.
Back