Front license plate- How to mount?

Archer28

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about till just now, but my 30 day tags will be up soon and (being in Virginia, the communist state) I will have to mount a plate up front.
I bought this car in Georgia and it doesn't have a mount in the front for a plate.

Whats a guy to do?

If i was you buy the one from lincoln, dont screw anything in your bumper. you will have to drill two clean looking holes in your bumper, but at least it wont look like mine did with two big, ugly screw holes in it. i wouldve gave you mine but i think they threw it away. i just got mine removed and the holes filled and my bumper repainted.

Thank your lucky stars that there aren't two big holes in your bumper on which to mount an ugly metal plate. Doesn't it look nice without it? I would leave it that way.

Go by your local Lincoln dealer and get the kit. You drill two holes in the bumper, then rivet the thing in place with 1/4" pop-rivets.

The dumb@$$ dealer in Lawton who originally received my '06 from Lincoln installed the front license plate holder for no apparent reason (other than mounting his ad plate)--we don't have !@#$ing front license plates in Oklahoma. :mad:

One of these days when I get some time (ha!), I'm going to buy some plugs, color-match them, and get rid of that front-bumper eyesore...

By the kit from Lincoln but don't drill the holes. Use some 3M double sided tape to afix it to the bumper just incase you ever want to remove it.

No, it won't come off as long as you prep the surfaces prior to mounting.

Thanks for the replies all. I was afraid I would have to (gasp) drill my pristine front bumper.

If at all possible I'd like to come up with some other way to mount it, not requiring drilling, as 01lssport mentioned.

Anyone having one they removed or would like to part with, I have paypal at the ready.

It would seem that Lincoln would have to provide this mount when a car is transferred to another state. I noticed on the web that the front license plate mount option was listed as a "$0" upgrade?

Actually, I think Lincoln provided the front plate kit with every new LS (my '04 had it in a bag in the trunk), so they don't necessarily have to provide one for free, but it never hurts to ask.

I've got one I just took off of my ls. THe way it hooks on 01lssports idea would work great. If you want it just let me know.

Archer28 said:
I hadn't thought about till just now, but my 30 day tags will be up soon and (being in Virginia, the communist state) I will have to mount a plate up front.
I bought this car in Georgia and it doesn't have a mount in the front for a plate.

Whats a guy to do?
Move to GA? :p

Archer28 said:

Whats a guy to do?

Im about to replace my LSE front bumper cover (cracked) with a replacement from LSKONCEPTS.COM. The replacement does NOT have holes in it/does NOT have a front mounting plate installed for the tag. Just the way I want it.

On a previous car (BMW) I actually had an authentic GERMAN tag on the front, and kept the Virginia front tag under my drivers side floor mat. I would place it on the dash whenever I parked on the street in DC, MD, or VA to avoid the "no front state tag displayed" tickets. Worked for me for 5 years.

My brother also has a 3 series, and has been running with a German tag on the front of his car for 5 years. He commutes daily from Ashburn, Va to downtown DC. Not a single cop has ever stopped him either.

Members online

Back