Front end suspension knock

Asim

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys:

Have a bit of a knocking sound coming from the front end. Sounds ball joint like. Regardless, very un-lincoln feeling.

Is this the knuckle I keep reading about? If so, where is the cheapest place to get one?

Thanks,

I have that type of noise too, and like a scraping sound when exiting speed bumps at more than a easy roll.

Had it into the dealer once for this, don't remember WHAT, if anything they did.

Mine has 55k miles, its a 2000.

Hope someone here has some insight, I was thinking of changing the shocks/struts.

Bozz

Check your stabalizer link. Mine made the same noise and that's all it was. Easy to change and not to expensive.

The first place I would look is what Fordman says...and that's the front sway bar. But don't be surprised if it's not the link and it's the bushing instead. In that case....you're in for a lot of cussing and swearing.

Mine is doin the same thing i took it to a shop today; he dealer said ball joint. they said the bj was fine. and the stabilizer link was bad. they quoted me 74 total. hows that sound. at least its not 375.

For me I wish it was the swaybar... but alass.. I had to pay 398 and change.. and had to replace hub (damaged it on removal from knuckle assy) toooo :(

Got to love MN salted roads.... My hubs were a bear to remove from the knuckle.

But now I have one tight front end... :D

**You know you can check the knuckle yourself.... get big prybar and friend.

1. Jack up car just high enough to slide bar under tire.

2. Using prybar moving up and down to check for knuckle (ball joint) play.

Then you will know for sure.

Ous LS makes some knockin noise in the front end on wavy roads and it does it moreso first thing in the morning. I'm going to check the ball joints by seeing if there is any play in the wheels, but if its the sway bar bushings where is a good place to get them? Do they make better aftermarket ones?
It is worth the money to have my mechanic install them? What's makes the job so difficult on these little buggers?

Thanks!!!

2000 LS, knocking noise, more than likely its the sway bar bushings....

You cant get the sway bar bushings anymore. You have to get an entire sway bar (new style) like the 03s

One of the suckiets jobs evar to do.

But have the ball joints checked as well cause you never know.

I havent tried it yet but you can still get the sway bar bushings for the Jaguar S-Type.

I know the LS had a bigger sway for the sport version and a smaller sway for the v6 model. Im not sure wich one the jag uses, im guessing the bigger sway bar because they only offer one. Anywhoo the bushings just might work on the LS sports.

Jay

Are there any AM bushings that are the same size that could be fit in the place of the old ones without buying the whole damn sway bar?

Replacing the Sway Bar

"One of the suckiets jobs ever to do. "

I agree and not a job for the faint of heart. I think the Bar can be had for a little over $100. Getting the entire bar re-installed is nearly impossible. Not impossible, but damn near it. So much so that 30 minutes after completing the job I couldn't tell anyone what the "secret" was. It was great to get rid of the clunk.

So would it be better to have my mechanic install new bushings off a Jag if they fit
or
me install a whole new sway bar with bushings pre-installed
or
just totally remove the front sway bar?

Is the problem getting the bushings out and in or is it "snaking" the front sway bar thru everything?

possible sway bar installation tip - just having replaced my trans I noticed you can add A TON of clearance in the front of the engine compartment by disconnecting the driveshaft from the tailshaft of the trans....pulling the rear trans mount (being VERY sure you have a jack under the trans already) and dropping the tail of the trans about 6 inches. This tilts the whole engine back with it. With this extra clearance in the engine bay maybe it's easier to change the sway bar? Dunno but when I looked down there with the trans tilted it looked real easy. If you go further than 6 inches you'll need to disconnect the TR sesor connector from the trans (the one with the zip tie around it).

Everyone told me the bushings were no longer available but I was able to purchase a pair (in October) from Ford. Noise is gone. I'll worry when it starts making the noise again.

After posting that I checked on Ford Parts Network (Fordpartsnetwork.com) and the only bushings listed are for V6s with sport suspensions. All other types (all V8s and V6s standard suspension) required that you replace the sway bar.

pragmatic said:
After posting that I checked on Ford Parts Network (Fordpartsnetwork.com) and the only bushings listed are for V6s with sport suspensions. All other types (all V8s and V6s standard suspension) required that you replace the sway bar.

We have an 00 V6 w/ sport syspension so I guess we are in luck. How much are the bushings? How much would you think my mechanic would charge me for the job?
Thanks

I called Ford here and they said they are $12.50 each and that it only uses 2 bushings. Is this correct?
I was assuming there would be more then 2.

mine has been doin that. the drivers stabilizer link was loose so they changed it and its still doin it. the ball joints are fine. It only happens when the car has been sitting for a while then it goes away. any clues.

Quinton said:
I called Ford here and they said they are $12.50 each and that it only uses 2 bushings. Is this correct?
I was assuming there would be more then 2.

Only two bushings assuming the links are ok (which most are).

Members online

No members online now.
Back