front end rattle and A/C troubles

Rayz1024

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just bought myself a new headache last week...got a real pretty 93 mark viii for a good price. Ive read through almost all the threads in here and ive tried everything that i found, but still nothing. Ive got a real annoying rattle sound in the front drivers side of the car. Its when i go over bumps, big or small. IVe changed the lower control arm (ball joint and bushings), and the strut rod bushing that goes through the control arm as well. Sway bar links, tie rods and upper ball joints all look good. uca bushings look good too. Ive pushed, pulled and shaken every part under there, both on the ground and on the lift...cant replicate the sound. it does have a coil conversion on it (arnott). I bought it with the conversion already installed. I checked the top of the strut to make sure, and everything looks to be seated correctly. I brought it to a shop and they couldnt find it either. So just looking for suggestions.

And also, my A/c and heat work fine, but it only blows through the defrost vents. cant get it to blow out the panel or floor.

Any help is much appreciated. thanks

Vacuum line is probably loose somewhere making the AC blow through the defrost and the rattle could very well be the right rear shock mount. That sound tends to surround you inside the car and it is annoying.

yeah, havent looked in the back yet. It sounds like its coming directly from the front drivers side. Ill take a peek back there and see what i find.

i would put $5 it is a end link rattling, you wont be able to get it to rattle in the air. or the strut is bad

thanks everyone for the input. I finally found the noise though. went and got sway bar links like zmt had thought...put those in....and the noise was still there...(can send the $5 to my paypal haha). Its actually in the top of the strut. sounds like a loose washer in the top or something. I didnt do the coil conversion, so not familiar with whats on top. Ill find out tomorrow though...finishing off the suspension, so im gonna take it out and investigate. Its an arnott industries strut, and from what ive read in other threads on here, theres better conversion kits out there.

As for the vacuum lines for my a/c problem. not familiar with it, just got the car last week. can anyone point me in the right direction where to start tracing the vacuum lines from?

thanks again everyone...this is a great forum

awwwww sorry i fail

double or nothing

strut mount?

i used a 97 tbird mount for mine, moog

could be the strut itself though

yeah, im not sure...didnt get a chance to get that far today. Im going to check it out tomorrow. thats what i get for lending my friend my spring compressing tools...get them back missing half the parts to them lol. it sounds more like the mount though..I hit a bump and i hear the washer on top rattle bad. figured out my a/c issue too. vacuum tube right on top of the manifold was disconnected from the rubber connector. got hard from the heat and broke off. works fine now. and remind me that if i ever mention that im going to change out the uca again..not to do it haha. small spaces + huge hands= many 4 letter words

yeah i am 6ft5 and 300 lbs. i had hell with the uca replacement pulling the master cyl sucked. I am about to pull my engine harness and i am sure i will be cussing, screaming and throwing stuff before i complete it.

Hello all,

Just bought myself a new headache last week...got a real pretty 93 mark viii for a good price. Ive read through almost all the threads in here and ive tried everything that i found, but still nothing. Ive got a real annoying rattle sound in the front drivers side of the car. Its when i go over bumps, big or small. IVe changed the lower control arm (ball joint and bushings), and the strut rod bushing that goes through the control arm as well. Sway bar links, tie rods and upper ball joints all look good. uca bushings look good too. Ive pushed, pulled and shaken every part under there, both on the ground and on the lift...cant replicate the sound. it does have a coil conversion on it (arnott). I bought it with the conversion already installed. I checked the top of the strut to make sure, and everything looks to be seated correctly. I brought it to a shop and they couldnt find it either. So just looking for suggestions.

And also, my A/c and heat work fine, but it only blows through the defrost vents. cant get it to blow out the panel or floor.

Any help is much appreciated. thanks

I had the same problem with my ac. There is a small vac hose on top of the engine that's cracked/broken off. It's towards the back on the top.. look close and you will see it. Around the throttle body. Stick that back in and it's fixed.

If the front struts are not factory, like arnott for example. I am pretty sure that is where your problem is. I have the same nasty sound coming from the passenger side a,d i already replaced a rattly driver side one. I will buy Ford struts/bags if i end up keeping the car.

yeah zmt... im 6'6" 385...damn sausage fingers and forearms the size of normal peoples calves lol. I enjoy working on my car, just hate the fact that im not built to be an under the hood mechanic haha.

Dave 88....definitely the drivers side strut making the noise. havent had a chance to see if its a broken mount, or if the strut is just cooked. i was pushing up and down on the passenger side one as well....its got a very small noise when i compress it down. thinking i may just replace the arnott conversion with a different conversion from someone else. im not sure how many miles are on the struts now...was told they converted it 3 years ago when i bought it last week.

brooklyn...yeah, i found it in the threads on here, went and looked, and sure enough, that was it. works perfectly now

Members online

No members online now.
Back