Front End Clunk - Outer Tie Rods

14.6@97MPH

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The new and next clunk that showed up on my Mark is my outer tie rods. It was nice weather in NJ today and I had some time to jack the car up and look around.

Where/what is the best brand to buy? Should I get the Moog part #ES3169RL? Rock Auto has them for $33.79 each.

Should I tackle replacing these myself or have a garage (or Doug) replace them? I do realize I'll need another alignment after this.

I'm going to have to decide what I'm going to do about my suspension (fix air or convert to springs) so I'll only need 1-alignment. :(

Thanks!
Ken

Pic of my bad outer tie rod

tierod.JPG

Decide what you're going to do about the suspension, before you decide how/where to get it done.

Outer tie rods aren't too bad to change, local parts store will usually let you borrow seperator which makes it easier. If you count the turns to take out the old one and measure the distance to from inner clamp to end you can set the new ones pretty close so it would be very driveable as far as alignment. If they're bad, you want to do it soon, lose control of steering if it falls out.

Very easy job to do. I would do inner and outers, why not? Then its done for as long as you will probably own the car. Not to mention that sometimes a loud cluck can hide a smaller one. So if you dont replace, make sure they are in really great shape. They usually are since they are well protected, but ya never know!

Staff online

Members online

Back