Front Bumber paint?

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok when i bought this car the was only one or two chips in the paint on the bumper and was black underneath the paint. Well to me it seems that these "black" chips are now getting bigger. Has there been any known problems with the paint they used on some of these. Its not going to cost too much to have it all repainted again but the body shop said he was going to have to take off the whole fascia i think take out all the lighting and such strip it down and do a bunch of stuff to it cause the paint they used isn't sticking right and it will get worse and the new paint will just wash off if he just tried to blend it in.

What kind of money do they want to do this??? Also if you want it done right waht there telling you is correct, as far as removing the bumper and lights. I'm going to re-shoot mine after love bug season. EL knows about that. But I will do it myself. I will just scuff with 400 wet, prime with etching primer, then re shoot. See if theres a Macco there usually pretty reasonable.

jdsimons said:
Ok when i bought this car the was only one or two chips in the paint on the bumper and was black underneath the paint. Well to me it seems that these "black" chips are now getting bigger. Has there been any known problems with the paint they used on some of these. Its not going to cost too much to have it all repainted again but the body shop said he was going to have to take off the whole fascia i think take out all the lighting and such strip it down and do a bunch of stuff to it cause the paint they used isn't sticking right and it will get worse and the new paint will just wash off if he just tried to blend it in.

I just left my FLM dealership where I bought my 00 LS about 5 months ago and it had about 200 little paint chips in my front bumper also. Looked like the idot who had it before me had a lot of money and drove it on sales calls and didnt care about the front apperance. So 2 weeks ago they had the chip/dent repair guy work on them by rubbing some color into the chips, needless to say I am not happy so my dealer said we can send it to our body shop and we agreed on 50/50 payment. I was thinking my end would be about $150 to repaint the entrie bumper. NO more 546.14(total) was the estimate that they gave me but I am sure the cost will come down when the dealer owner signs off on it. How long have you owned it? If not long and you bought it off a dealer work a deal like I did. Believe me FLM dealers will do anything to make you happy especially when you get a FLM company survey time.

-Scott-

I have tons of those little chips on my front.
I have to say most of it is from one single trip up to whistler, BC.
It snowed quite a bit just before I went up so sand truck did it's thing.
when I got back home, I realized the chips and took me a while to put two together. Damn. snow, sand, ... never driving my LS to the mountains again.
Mine looks bad sinc eI have black and chiped area is white.
so far I just used touch up paint to color the big ones.
I'll have to re-paint mine soon.

Fordman said:
What kind of money do they want to do this??? Also if you want it done right waht there telling you is correct, as far as removing the bumper and lights. I'm going to re-shoot mine after love bug season. EL knows about that. But I will do it myself. I will just scuff with 400 wet, prime with etching primer, then re shoot. See if theres a Macco there usually pretty reasonable.

Man I hate LOVE BUGS! What a pain in the posterior.

we dont have those here.
what do they do to the paint?
leave their crap on the paint?
splat while driving?

Like EL says, you need to wash them off your car as soon as they get on. If you leave them more than a couple days bye bye paint. Thats what my bumper looks like. The guy that owned the car before me, I guess didn't care. So I have 100's of little pit marks... Welcome to Florida. Our State bird is the Palmetto Bug ( A.K.A. Flying Cockroach )

Fordman said:
Our State bird is the Palmetto Bug ( A.K.A. Flying Cockroach )

Lord it is the truth. The killed a hawk sized palmetto bug at my office yesterday. It sent people running for the doors it was so big.

Well I love the dark color of my car but damn its a pain once you get a paint chip it sticks out like a sore thumb. Once mine is done I will feel better.

I was just gonna say... cockroach... My Buddy in Orlando isn't too thrilled with them either, but, the lizards and frogs need something to eat too...

Members online

Back