Front airbag icon on dash is lit-up?

phantom3

LVC Member
Reaction score
For the last few days the airbag icon on my dash lights up. When I start up the car the airbag icon flashes off and on for about half a minute and then it stays lit up as I'm driving the car. How serious is this problem and how can I fix it, thank you.

It is one of two problems. Either the yellow wire connector for the airbag under your drivers seat is not connected correctly and needs to be replaces or cleaned or just fixed. Or, it is your clockspring. If your cruise control or radio control buttons on the steering wheel are also not functioning correctly it is the clockspring.

It is probably one of the two things listed above, but it could be other things too.
When the light is flashing, it is flashing a two digit code. Count the flashes before the first pause and write it down. Then count the flashes after the pause and write that. Let us know what code it is flashing, and someone can point you in the right direction. What year is your car? The codes (and airbag configurations) are a little different from year to year (not just generation to generation.)

Thanks for the quick responses. My LS is a 2001, V8 engine. The icon flashes 3 times then pauses and flashes 2 more times. Is it something I can fix myself?

yes - if you click the link I posted above - it explains the code and references two threads that walk you through the repair.

Is this something that needs to be fixed quick or can it wait for a few weeks?

Is this something that needs to be fixed quick or can it wait for a few weeks?

That depends on if you are going to have a crash where the airbags might save you from serious injury, soon or more than a few weeks from now.

While the light is on, you have no airbag function.

You can let it sit. Mine has been blinking now for a month and matches the check engine light that stays on.:D The downside is your airbag will not work if you get in an accident. I have heard also that it could effect your steering wheel controls too.

I located the yellow connector under the drivers seat and disconnected it. I didn't see any broken wires. How do I test the connection to see if it's okay. Someone had mentioned that maybe it's in the steering wheel but the radio, cruise control and other steering wheel switches and buttons all work okay, thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back