Front Air Struts

Alexander B. Sonin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I have problems with my Mark VIII (1998). The front air struts are going down after one hour when a car is parked. I replaced Front Air Struts, problem remained.
Please let me know if you have any idea how to fix it or if you can suggest a good mechanical. I live to Staten Island, NY.
Thanks,
Alexander.

I replaced solenoid O-Rings and I was silicone grease used !!!, problem remained !!!
Air Struts Is new O.E.M. not Arnott !!! And I check them with soapy water !!! Possibly Air Ride Module or Height sensor? Ffront Air Struts going down both!!!

My front air struts were leaking badly and I put slime in it back in April last year and they're still holding air. However, your problem seems to be more likely to be leaky solenoid O-Rings. Were the O-rings replaced and was silicone grease used? Try locating the leak by spraying a water and soap solution and looking for air bubbles.

Last edited:
My front air struts were leaking badly and I put slime in it back in April last year and they're still holding air. However, your problem seems to be more likely to be leaky solenoid O-Rings. Were the O-rings replaced and was silicone grease used? Try locating the leak by spraying a water and soap solution and looking for air bubbles.

I replaced solenoid O-Rings and I was silicone grease used !!!, problem remained !!!

What kind of air struts did you use? Were they Arnott? If so, they might already be leaking and possibly be a good candidate for using the slime. The leak on my struts were so big that the pump could not pump it up but so far, the slime has done admirably well in sealing them up and so far, no issues.

Don't slime them if you just replaced them and they are leaking just return them. I don't think that is your issue. You need to look else where for the source of your leak takethe soapy water idea one step further and spray the whole air system after it's parked for a while and look for the problem. I bet its a slowly leaking valve or something. But don't just slime the bags to slime them the problem is else where.

Don't put slime in your airbags.
And I request that everyone just ignore Ed Hall.

With that said, presuming the bags aren't defective, though I would not rule that out considering they are from Arnott, you might want to check them with soapy water. Have you really put your head in the wheel well and listened for the leak?
My first suggestion would be to inspect the solenoid o-ring in the air spring and the air lines to make sure they are properly seating.

air struts

Don't put slime in your airbags.
And I request that everyone just ignore Ed Hall.

With that said, presuming the bags aren't defective, though I would not rule that out considering they are from Arnott, you might want to check them with soapy water. Have you really put your head in the wheel well and listened for the leak?
My first suggestion would be to inspect the solenoid o-ring in the air spring and the air lines to make sure they are properly seating.

Air Struts Is new O.E.M. not Arnott !!! And I check them with soapy water !!! Possibly Air Ride Module or Height sensor? Ffront Air Struts going down both!!!

Not likely.
You have to height sensors in the front, one on each side. One in the back.
And the air ride module usually doesn't fail, nor having I seen on fail like that.
And if it were a air ride relay, it just wouldn't work.
And if the vent solenoid on the compressor were stuck open, it would just pancake while attempting to refill the bags.

You most likely have a leak. Your springs may be leaking, though you've ruled this out. The solenoids o-rings (more than one) may be improperly seated or dried up. If it's pancaking inside an hour, you should be able to hear where the air is coming out of.

How often is your compressor kicking on when you drive?
Does it doe this EVERYTIME you park it?

If so, they might already be leaking and possibly be a good candidate for using the slime. \

Can you ban a person for giving advice like a retard?

The entire front of the car will drop even if only one bag is leaking, as other have said listen for a leak. I have a leaky bag and can hear the hiss when it starts to leak.

:lol: Just thought I'd ask. Maybe he should add a disclaimer to his posts, stating I use tire sealant on my airbags, do not do as I do or you will need to replace the entire system.

Yes, the fact that my airbags are treated with tire sealant is in my signature. So far, I have not had to replace the entire system nor has my car suffered any catastrophic failure as predicted.

Ed, I have followed your posts for some time now. The slime you refer to...is it the green stuff you get from Wal Mart and if so, how do you get in the bags and how does it get the bag coated evenly?

First, if you put "McPherson struts" on your Mark VIII, how did you eliminate the upper control arms? And how did you modify the spindle to attach the "strut" to it? :D

On a lighter note, if your system is leaking down in an hour, you've got a serious leak somewhere (obviously). It may be the air spring/shock units or it could be the lines. I'd say defective air springs if it's leaking down that fast. But your air lines may be dry rotted. Or solonoids leaking or a great number of things. I don't have a comparison because mine have never leaked down that quickly. Usually it took all night. But I put a brand new set of Arnotts on my '96 two years ago and they're still working perfectly...knock on wood. Anyway, good luck. Hope you find your problem.

Ed, I have followed your posts for some time now. The slime you refer to...is it the green stuff you get from Wal Mart and if so, how do you get in the bags and how does it get the bag coated evenly?

The tire sealant I'm using is actually blue. I did some research and bought what's suppose to be the best tire sealant available that's non-corrosive. However, I've heard of others having success using green Slime that's available at many store but it may be corrosive.

To treat the bags, remove the bags from the car and remove the solenoid. With the strut upside down, push down on the strut to compress the bag and then fill the solenoid cavity with tire sealant. Then release pressure off the strut and it'll suck the tire sealant into the bag. Keep repeating the procedure until about a cup or two of the sealant has been sucked into the bag. Then rotate the strut to let the sealant spread around the interior of the air bags. Afterwards, clean the solenoid cavity as clean as possible and replace the solenoid making sure to use silicone grease on the o-ring. Reinstall the strut and hook everything back up. Once everything is back together, power the car up and let the compressor air the suspension back up. You should see a bit of oozing where the leak was but it should seal right up. Afterward, enjoy many more miles of leak free air bags.

I should also mention that this repair most likely only works if the leak is at the bottom of the bags where they're most likely to develop a leak. I'll also say that it's best to replace the bags with brand new OEM bags since this fix is a bandaid fix. However, it has worked well for me and continues to keep those air bags leak free.

I can't answer for Mr. Hall on this, but as for me, I have used Green Slime in the past. The same kind you get at Wal-Mart. In order to get it into your springs, you have to take the air spring/shock unit off, turn it upside down, compress it, pour about a capful of slime into the solenoid hole, and let the shock extend, thus sucking the slime into the air spring. I put about 6 ounces of the stuff in each spring last time I did it. Then lay the shock on its side, roll it around, then set it right side up and let stand for a couple of hours. After that, thoroughly clean the solenoid mount of all residue and re-install. At this point, there should be about zero chance of the stuff getting into any other part of the system. Unless you put the stuff directly into the lines or pour it on the solenoid itself, it should never get into the lines. Since gravity pulls it down around the fold in the air spring to seal the dryrot cracks temporarily, there's virtually no possible way it could ever get into the rest of your system and cause any damage. At any rate, it has worked for me in the past as a temporary band-aid until I could afford to buy a new air spring. And I've personally had no problems whatsoever.

The tire sealant I'm using is actually blue....

Ha. Beat me to it.:)

WTH,are you guys selling the slime?

Let's NOT recommend doing this to a brand new set of OEM springs.
Emergency repair with the expectation of doing serious repairs when you get home, o.k.
Brand new set, no.

The guy is investing in the air ride system, why add stuff that can only cause long term problems.
Later on, perhaps you can suggest we all fix small pin hole leaks with a tire repair plug.

Ed, if you would have read his first post he said he put new OEM struts on. Stop telling people to Slime their bags!!!
This is a forum to give others "good" info not hacked hillbilly crap!!

If you want to do it that is fine do not recommend to people who are asking legitimate questions to do something like this, keep it to yourself and read what is posted before going off.

end of rant!

Ed, if you would have read his first post he said he put new OEM struts on. Stop telling people to Slime thier bags!!!
This is a forum to give other "good" info not hacked hillbilly crap!!

If you want to do it thaat is fine do not trecommend to people who are asking legitimate questions to do something like this, keep it to yourself and read what is posted before going off.

end of rant!

LSC HUNTER,
No need to rant, I read his entire post. He added that additional information to his first post about having OEM struts after I replied.

Hi.
I have problems with my Mark VIII (1998). The front air struts are going down after one hour when a car is parked. I replaced Front Air Struts, problem remained.
Please let me know if you have any idea how to fix it or if you can suggest a good mechanical. I live to Staten Island, NY.
Thanks,
Alexander.

My guess is height sensors.
My front air struts were leaking badly and I LOVE THE TOUCH OF A MAN back in April last year and they're still holding air. However, your problem seems to be more likely to be leaky solenoid O-Rings. Were the O-rings replaced and was silicone grease used? Try locating the leak by spraying a water and soap solution and looking for air bubbles.

What kind of air struts did you use? Were they Arnott? If so, they might already be leaking and possibly be a good candidate for using the slime. The leak on my struts were so big that the pump could not pump it up but so far, the slime has done admirably well in sealing them up and so far, no issues.

Do you just not know how to focking read? Everything you asked he answered BEFORE you asked. Dumbass.
Please learn to read and then after you are done please go die in a fire fockwad.

My guess is height sensors.

Do you just not know how to focking read? Everything you asked he answered BEFORE you asked. Dumbass.
Please learn to read and then after you are done please go die in a fire fockwad.

The OP was editing his first post I think...;) The original probably just said the first paragraph.

The OP was editing his first post I think...;) The original probably just said the first paragraph.
Ed Hall is still utterly useless and 90% of his posts are telling someone to put slime in their bags..... or how to tow 5000+lbs with a Mark.

OP, I have been thinking about this more and more. If the bags are not leaking and the o-rings are new and I assume the bag solinoids are new (forget if mine came with new ones) yet the car still drops after some time sitting then I really think the sensors are bad. Just one of them mind you may be bad. Due to the cars weight on the nose if just one side goes down it will look like both have vented.

When the car sits it will adjust itself after some time. I have seen my car vent 1/2" after sitting for hours and have seen it fire the compressor after sitting for hours. Sometimes the car just decides its not quite level enough. :lol:
If you have a bad sensor up front then it could cause this problem. Drivers sensor would be where I would look. Reason why is: You turn the car off, it vents to parked height, you get out and with the less weight it goes up a small ammount, latter the car decides it needs to drop a little more to be at parked height, sensor hits its bad spot while going down and continues to drop, you start the car later and the system sees the opposite side sensor is reading too low and pumps the system, car goes up just enough to get the other sensor back into a good spot and then the car adds air to that bag too.
Just a guess though.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: OAN, I didnt add the pink writing to Eds quotation. That is fuggin hilarious! Even teh interwebz knows you take it in teh pooper. :p :lol:

...its not the lines. why does everyone mention the lines when a car leaks..... i can completely remove my airlines and my car wont drop 1/8" (after leveling for park height of course) there is a solenoid that holds the air in the bag all by it self. so if its leaking its either the bag or the seal around the solenoid, unless a solenoid is leaking AND the vent solenoid at the compressor is also leaking but you'd see other symptoms if it was, that or an electrical issue, lasers sounds like a possibility

Members online

No members online now.
Back