Ford Tranny opinions welcomed

Linc97

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1997 Linc Continental needs a Transmission. Ford Dealership sells remanufactured AX4N floor shift for $1734 and comes with 36 months/75,000 mile parts/labor warranty. Anyone out there ever put these tranny's in their Linc Conti's and are they dependable? thanks:)

Considering its the same transmission in your car (ie. Ford Taurus Tranny Mounted to a 260 - 275HP Beast) and just rebuilt, it should last as long as your original (assuming you follow the breakin schedule on the rebuilt transmission)

I'd call around a few transmission shops though and see what they would charge. You're paying a premium at the dealership.

$970 labor at Ford Garage. . . $350 Labor at Hydraulics/Transmission Repair. .
The good thing is that Ford will pay the local repair shop if the transmission fails within warranty!

Look at the bright side, the tranny will be covered, If u're care is overall in good codition including a good engine, then you wouldn't have to worry at all for a while.

Is the tranny only $1734 at ford or is this including installation????
My opinion, I don't like that price for a tranny but it does have great coverage. You shouldn't worry about the dependability too much anyways with that coverage, but it should behave like a new tranny though ( Directly from Ford )!!!!!.

Really what should cost more is than the tranny is the work to remove it from the car, Yah know, Things like this is like trying to insert u're fist into a beer bottle.

thanks for the information and replies.

Ford Parts: $1734 AX4N floor shift Transmission/Torque Convertor
Transmission Shop: $350 Labor

$2084 total

I also called Jasper Transmissions and their price was $2500 for the AX4N but the parts were upgrades and improvements for a heftier trans.

I ruled out Junkyard Transmissions because of past experiences and no warranties.

thanks again for the replies!

i dunno man if its worth it to you then i say go for it.. i'm redoing the air suspension on my 92..

Transmission Replaced Today

Well, my 1997 Continental finally got the much needed transmission replacement. It now has Ford remanufactured AX4N floor shift. My initial reaction is cautious and subdued. I thought it would be more like awesome and super. However, the car doesnt have the pep it once had with the old transmission for some reason. It is still powerful but in a much different way that I am not accustomed to. I pounced on the gas tonight just to see what it would do and the shifting was fine, but the power was just not the same. G-forces used to put me back in my seat, but now its like. . . hmmmm ok. The transmission comes with a 75,000 parts and labor warranty.

Members online

No members online now.
Back