Ford says CEO will work for $1 to get loans

97stscaddy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I read this earlier, and wondered why they didn't think of some of this a long time ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/ap_on_go_co/meltdown_autos

DETROIT – Ford Motor Co. will tell Congress that it plans to return to a pretax profit or break even in 2011 when the Detroit Three automakers' CEOs appear before lawmakers this week to request $25 billion in government loans.

Ford CEO Alan Mulally said he'll work for $1 per year if the company has to take any government loan money.

After grilling the CEOs at hearings last month, Congressional leaders demanded plans from the automakers by Tuesday to show that they will survive if they get federal funds. The plan Ford submitted said the company will cancel all management employees' 2009 bonuses and will not pay any merit increases for its North American salaried employees next year.

The company also said it will sell its five corporate aircraft. The CEOs of all three Detroit automakers were harshly criticized during last month's hearings for flying to Washington in separate corporate jets.

Mulally said in an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday that Ford will give much more detail to Congress than it did previously, and the company will emphasize the steps it has taken to cut its labor costs with the United Auto Workers union.

Mulally said Ford will seek $9 billion as its share of the loan money but may not need to use it. The Dearborn-based company has said it has enough cash to make it through next year without assistance.

As part of the plan submitted to Congress, Ford said it does not anticipate a liquidity crisis in 2009, "barring a bankruptcy by one of its domestic competitors or a more severe economic downturn that would further cripple automotive sales." The loan would provide a safeguard against worsening conditions, the company said.

The company said it will accelerate plans to roll out electric vehicles as part of its plan.

"We are going to do that across our product line," Mulally said in the interview.

The first plug-in vehicle will be a Transit Connect small van for commercial use in 2010 and a car the size of the Ford Focus compact the following year.

Ford also said it will accelerate plans for hybrid gas-electric vehicles.

Mulally said he will encourage automakers and parts suppliers to join forces to develop new battery technologies in the U.S. for future electric cars so the country doesn't rely on foreign batteries.

"We don't want to trade oil for batteries," he said.

Ford's plan calls for an investment of up to $14 billion to improve fuel efficiency over the next seven years. The company said would improve the overall efficiency of its fleet by an average of 14 percent in 2009.

The CEOs of the Detroit Three are scheduled to appear before congressional committees Thursday and Friday. Chrysler LLC and General Motors Corp. have said they are perilously low on cash and need the government loans to survive the recession and the worst auto sales environment in 25 years.

GM and Chrysler were to submit their plans to Congress later in the day.

The CEOs were skewered on their first visit in November, when lawmakers criticized them for high labor costs and products that aren't competitive with foreign automakers.

"I think we learned a lot from that experience," Mulally said in the interview, adding that the CEOs were there last time to discuss the progress of the industry, not a plan for viability.

Ford's new plan is 32 pages long, plus an appendix, and it includes much detail that was lacking during the first visit.

The company says its plan to achieve profitability or break even by 2011 is based on industrywide sales estimates of 12.5 million units in 2009, 14.5 million in 2010 and 15.5 million in 2011. The seasonally adjusted annual sales rate dropped to 10.6 million vehicles in October.

Ford shares rose 25 cents, or 9.8 percent, to $2.80 in midday trading.

Ford's plan said it will reduce its number of dealers by 606 to 3,790 by the end of the year. It will also trim the number of major sourcing suppliers it uses to 750 from 1,600.

Ford reiterated its intention to offload Volvo, by either selling the Swedish automaker or spinning it off into a separate company. Since 2007, Ford has sold its Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover lines. It also sold most of its stake in Madza.

Lee Iacocca did this years ago.

But he didn't have to work with the government.

Welcome to government cars, folks, this is what we have to look forward to.

trabant-car.jpg

Ford reiterated its intention to offload Volvo, by either selling the Swedish automaker or spinning it off into a separate company.
That's rather a gross mischaracterization of what Ford said. They didn't say they were going to dump Volvo, only that they were considering the business cases for keeping or selling it--which is the same thing they've said since this rumor was reported as fact last year...

I see no reason why they would sell Volvo.
It's been a very good relationship and the shared platforms and refinement have only served to improve Ford quality.

The MKS is on the Volvo D3 platform.

Lee Iacocca did this years ago.

But he didn't have to work with the government.

Welcome to government cars, folks, this is what we have to look forward to.

trabant-car.jpg

Hey, at least your car's styling will remain ageless.

I wonder if that $1 includes stock options?

Well, East Germany may have given the world the Trabant in the 60s (Foss's car) but Detroit gave us the Aztec in the 21st century...;)

Aztec2002_s.jpg

I wonder if that $1 includes stock options?
I don't think so.
Well, East Germany may have given the world the Trabant in the 60s (Foss's car) but Detroit gave us the Aztec in the 21st century...;)

Aztec2002_s.jpg
Ahead of it's time. GM identified the cross-over ute trend and F'ed it up before anyone else.

... and F'ed it up before anyone else.

I think that pretty much says it all...:)

Except - I think the Subie Forester actually did the crossover about 3 years before, and was pretty successful with it... And GM even owned a stake in Subie at that time - why didn't they take a few pointers from Fuji Heavy Industries?

That car is butt ugly! It only demonstrates what I have been saying for a while. For at least the past 20 years, GM has been incapable of coming up with a new car design that is actually something you would want to own.

That car is butt ugly! It only demonstrates what I have been saying for a while. For at least the past 20 years, GM has been incapable of coming up with a new car design that is actually something you would want to own.

+1.....WOW Shag something we can agree on !!!!

I found this post on HotAir. Thought it was worth reposting.

I say let them go bust, as Schiff says they are not viable but don’t just take his word for it, take it from someone like me that had been a “Chevy Man” all of my life. I have never bought anything but American Made Chevy’s, including a Chevy Colorado I bought new in 2004.

However, that’s where my “love affair” with American made cars (and Chevy) ended! Within the first two years of owning my new Colorado the air conditioning adjustment knob (to increase/decrease airflow) stopped working in all positions but “high” the CD player stopped working and ate one of my CD’s, the entire tread belt delaminated on the rear right Continental tire while I was driving on the highway (at 65 mph) and it caused $2000 in damage.

When I took my truck back to the dealer after the tire failed and damaged my truck I was told there was nothing they (the dealer that sold me the car) could do and I had to deal with the tire manufacturer directly because the tire was a “normal wear” item.

I had to get two estimates, take several photos, fill out 10 pages of paper work and send it to Continental directly, in all it took me a lot of work and 6 months to get my money from them!

While Continental paid for the damage to my truck they would only pay for the one tire that failed and wouldn’t pay for the other three tires I had purchased because the tires I purchased were not Continental’s to which I replied “did you expect me to put Continental tires back on my truck considering what happened andd and how dangerous that type of failure was, do you think I’m suicidal?” but they wouldn’t budge and so I got stuck shelling out $300 for tires that I shouldn’t have needed for a truck that was only two years old! But again there was no way I was putting Continental tires back on my truck!

Bottom line is while the drive train on the Chevy Colorado I bought was fine and I’m sure would have lasted many years it was the rest of the vehicle that worried me, in fact I don’t think I would of had much of a car left around me after 10 years the way it was already falling apart within the first two years!

It was bad enough I could have been killed had that tire failed while I was driving on a windy mountain road, but the fact I had to deal directly with Continental despite my truck still being under warranty was unforgiveable and I should have not had to do anything, Chevy should have repaired the damage to my truck, replaced all of the tires, and dealt with Continental directly to get their money back. I decided at that moment to never buy a Chevy or an American car ever again!

The “Big 3″ obviously don’t stand behing their cars nor do they stand behind the customers that buy their cars, so why should I stand behind the Big 3 by giving them my hard earned tax dollars to bail their sorry arses out?!?!?!

I say no way to a bailout and good riddance to the Big 3!

Liberty or Death on December 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Bingo.

I'm not 'buying' that guy's little 'sob story' as worthy justification to not buy American, without all the facts.

Like:

1. What were the terms and conditions of the warranty?

2. What were his driving / loading habits?

3. Tire maintenance - Were tires up to correct PSI?

4. What would a Japanese manufacturer (like Toyota) have done in the same situation? Do their warranties cover such consumables?

And, why the hell should Continental pay for the (possibly) needless replacement of the other tires?

So far, all i can conclude is, this guy is an idiot. (IMO)

I'm not 'buying' that guy's little 'sob story' as worthy justification to not buy American, without all the facts.

Like:

1. What were the terms and conditions of the warranty?

2. What were his driving / loading habits?

3. Tire maintenance - Were tires up to correct PSI?

4. What would a Japanese manufacturer (like Toyota) have done in the same situation? Do their warranties cover such consumables?

And, why the hell should Continental pay for the (possibly) needless replacement of the other tires?

So far, all i can conclude is, this guy is an idiot. (IMO)
And so are you for missing the point.

So the "long time" chevy lover changed his mind because a $30 resistor module went out for the blower, and the cd player malfunctioned, and a tire (which isn't made by GM, and could have failed for any number of reasons) blows out. Now that is loyalty to a company! Cry me a river.

And so are you for missing the point.

I didn't miss the point. Was just taking issue with the guy in the quote. Nothing more. I think we are on the same page?

The guy is saying good riddance to the Big 3 because he had a few minor problems and a bad tire!!! That is irrational.

*plays a sad song for the ex 'Chevy lover' on the world's smallest violin*

bingo? how so? the big three go under you better find a bunker to ride everything out. congress isnt trying to save the big three because they like the cars. Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is so that millions of americans dont end up jobless, and millions of over seas employees. basically congress isnt bailing out ford or gm, they are trying to avoid world wide chaos that the american mortgage companies have doomed us all to.

bingo? how so? the big three go under you better find a bunker to ride everything out. congress isnt trying to save the big three because they like the cars. Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is so that millions of americans dont end up jobless, and millions of over seas employees. basically congress isnt bailing out ford or gm, they are trying to avoid world wide chaos that the american mortgage companies have doomed us all to.

Hey. Clueless. It's already too late for that. The autos were going down anyway. But thanks for being such a drama queen.

Tom Coburn, Oklahoma:
COBURN: In 2007, GM sold 9.37 million cars worldwide. Toyota, that same year, sold 9.37 million cars worldwide. GM lost 38.7 billion. Toyota made 17.7 billion. Therein lies the problem.

Ignorance is truely bliss, I see.

The morgage companies didn't "doom us all" to anything (at least not by themselves). They played a very large part, but that problem started with the Community Reinvestment Act and snowballed from there. When people were warning about an impending disaster due to the mess, it was intentionally downplayed and ignored by a number of people in Congress, the same ones who most adamently called for a bailout, I might add (I will let you guess which party they were from).

The "Big 3" are already failing. Yes their failure could have very drastic consequences for our economy, but extending them money in the form of a bailout will only allow them to eventually make a bigger splash when they fail later on. What kind of damage do you thing will happen then as compared to if we let them go into bankrupcy now? Hmm?

It is clear that you have not thought this out and are just mindlessly repeating some talking points you heard without first examining them.

All any of these bailouts (for banks, mortgage companies or anyone) have been shown to do is subsidize failure. So the business being bailed out will be able to continue in failure a bit longer and drag more people down farther when they inevitably do fail. The bailouts have not been shown to have companies reorganize and come back stronger, correcting the mistakes that got them into this mess.

the big problem with the "Big 3" is the insane overhead associated with their cars. Some of this is unnecessarily mandated by the government (EPA), but most of it comes from the United Auto Workers (UAW) and the excessive pay and legacy costs associated with them.

The only solution for the "Big 3" is for them to get that monkey off their back. That is a solution that declaring bankrupcy allows for, but which a bailout would remove from the table (due to government mandates attached to the bailout).

So the only realistic solution for the "Big 3" is to declare bankrupcy and reorganize. A bailout will only hurt us more, in the long run.

The potenial fallout if we don't bail them out that you talk about is very minor in comparison to the potential fallout down the road if we do bail them out. It is obviously a choice between two evils and the clear lesser evil is to let the "Big 3" go into bankrupcy. To run with your exagurated claim; instead of the "millons" you talk about being without a job if we don't bailout the "Big 3", it will be in the tens of millions (if not larger) if we do bailout the big three.

Poll: Auto CEOs Not Worth $1 a Year
Would Be ‘Overpaid,' Survey Says

The proposal by the CEOs of the Big Three automakers to work for $1 a year has gone over like a lead balloon with taxpayers, a new survey shows, with a clear majority believing that the car bosses do not deserve such a bloated salary.

The University of Minnesota/Opinion Research Institute poll released today shows that 87% of those surveyed "strongly agree" with the statement, "If the CEOs of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler earned $1 a year they would be egregiously overpaid."

But according to the University of Minnesota's Davis Logsdon, the poll numbers do contain some good news for the embattled CEOS: "While taxpayers do not want to pay each of them $1 a year, there is a consensus that the three gentlemen deserve to share a single $1 salary between them."

When asked how the three auto execs should divvy up their $1 payday, the poll yielded interesting results: "People believe that the Ford guy and the Chrysler guy should each get 45 cents and the GM should only get 10 cents, because the whole Hummer thing was just retarded."

If Obama truly wants to grow this economy from the bottom up, why is he supporting bailing out the big autos instead of giving tax breaks to the citizens?

From ABC News:

In an effort to convince Congress to bail out the U.S. automakers, company executives, union leaders and politicians have made the compelling argument that the industry directly and indirectly supports one in every 10 jobs in the country. The only trouble is nobody wants to take ownership of that statistic, which is almost certainly false.

The figure is routinely attributed to the Center for Automotive Research, but officials at the nonprofit organization, which has ties to labor and government, claim they never said it and have no idea where it came from.
“It’s such an exaggeration. I kind of grit my teeth every time I hear it,” said Debbie Maranger Menk, a project manager at the center who researches the industry.

The Center, she said, estimates some 350,000 people in the United States are directly employed by automakers, both foreign and domestic, and that 2.1 million jobs are indirectly connected to the industry including suppliers.
That 2.1 million jobs figure is in line with what most economists estimate to be the number of people supported by vehicle manufacturing, according to economist Richard Block a professor at Michigan State University’s School of Labor and Industrial Relations.

Members online

Back