Ford mechanics.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a customer that broke his 2002 Explorers ability to shift. He would like me to repair it but I have no idea what the part is called so that I can find him a new one.

Its a small aluminum piece thats mounted on the right side of the steering column. The column gear selector has a ball that fits into it on one side and then the trans cable is actuated via that parts rotation. The part is broken where the gear selector connects to it.

I need to know what that part is so I can locate a new one.

This is the part that is broken. The picture is NOT from the Explorer I am working on and is not broken how the one in the picture is. The part that is broken is circled in red. Its a 2002 Explorer BTW.

IMG_9355.jpg

No. It actuates the trans gears in accordance with what the gear selector is positioned at. Selector fits into one side, trans cqable fits into the other side.

from what i read so far researching this online it seems that the whole steering column will need replaced......

*edit* this might do the trick http://www.dormanguide.com/column-shift-repair.html
rock auto sells it as a "steering column repair kit" and it's the same thing that's on that dorman site above. good luck
Wrong part. You linked me the part that is broken in the picture. I need the part that is circled. It is held on by that single torx screw that has the blueish marking on it.

So here is the part. No part numbers on it other then a "4". He managed to break the gear arm too so looks like I will be going to the junkyard.

IMGP0527.jpg

IMGP0528.jpg

my dads in the back of his yard with a customer and doesnt have his cell on him, ill call him back in a bit and see if he can send me one, or at least where i can locate one locally

Since there is still some confusion I will see if I can try to be clearer.

The link everyone keeps giving me to buy the part or a thread talking about the part is not for the problem I am fixing. Yes the gear selector arm is broken and can be bought brand new for $110.
The part all the threads and links that are being posted are for this part:

IMGP0529.jpg

The part that seems to have no name and has no part number on it that I need to get is this one:

IMGP0530-1.jpg

That part connects BETWEEN the gear selector and the cable that goes to the transmission. It is held on by that single torx bolt. The half moon shape side is supposed to be a complete oval. There is a shaft that connects to the gear selector arm and has a ball socket that fits into the oval slot. That shaft and its ball are undammaged and I do not need to replace it but is available for $75 and is the OTHER link people keep posting.

That $75 link (which I do not need) would connect in the empty space between the two parts in this picture:

IMGP0531-1.jpg

lol! jeeze! does this person know to use the brake pedal in order to get it in/out of gear???

That looks like a mess!

lol! jeeze! does this person know to use the brake pedal in order to get it in/out of gear???

That looks like a mess!
Its like this, his GF is preggers and a big black woman. He pissed her off. Sometimes Explorers (2002-2005) develop a slight time delay on the solenoid that locks the gear selector. While in a furious rage sh YANKED the gear selector and broke that pivot part that has no name. I was called and made it so they could drive it by pushing a micro switch and then grabbing that lever by hand to engage gears.
She once again was using it and got pissed off at him. She couldn't move the lever because she forgot to push the micro switch that pops the solenoid and threw a chit fit and broke off the gear selector arm and also breaking the solenoid.

So now I have to replace the arm, the lever and the solenoid. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.
Back