Ford Looks to (Finally) Revitalize Lincoln — Is It Enough?

chocolat1701

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i just read this article what do you guys think?

If you ask most Americans to name a domestic luxury car manufacturer, nine times out of ten the answer is going to be Cadillac. Press them further still to name a second luxury car company, and I’m willing to bet the next work out of their mouth is Buick or Chrysler. Ford Motor Company’s 96-year-old Lincoln is all but forgotten. But that wasn’t always the case — Lincolns used to be the cars of the affluent. Every single president starting with Calvin Coolidge in 1923 until George H.W. Bush left office in 1993 rode in a Lincoln, not a Cadillac. Now that Ford’s dumped Mercury and is safely out of danger from the recession (being up 12.1 percent this year as of June 1), it’s looking to turn its attention to Lincoln.

“You think of BMW as engaging to drive; you can think of Lexus as refined. Bring them together and it is a new experience no customer has ever had,” said Ford’s head of global product development, Derrick Kuzak, in a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal. That helps to give an idea of what Ford is going for when the next generation of Lincolns start being unveiled later this year.

The first redesigned Lincolns, the full-sized, Taurus-based MKS and the hearse/baleen whale-hybrid known as the MKT will be the first Lincolns to be aimed at those new customers. Ford hopes to attract new customers to Lincoln by loading its vehicles with high-tech gizmos such as retractable all-glass roofs and noise canceling technology similar to that in noise-cancelling headphones. Not only will the technology appeal to the techie crowd, but if it works it’ll save an untold amount of weight. Something like that could help Lincoln get the Lexus-like refinement it’s looking for, while also getting some of that BMW driving-DNA into it as well. To further help driving enjoyment, the MKS for example, will have an electronically-controlled suspension; probably with sport, comfort and touring modes similar to other luxury automakers” offerings. It also has been rumored that all future Lincolns will have all-wheel drive as either standard, or optional — à la Audi.

Ford has its work cut out for it, though. Facing a similar problem to what Cadillac and Buick faced a few years ago, Lincoln’s average buyers are increasingly geriatric. In fact, the average age of a Lincoln owner is 62 years old. That’s eight years older than the average Lexus driver and a whopping 13-years-older than the average BMW buyer. On top of that, Lincoln sold just 7,399 cars in the United States last month; most of those MKZs, essentially a rebadged Ford Fusion. Meanwhile, BMW sold more X3s than Lincoln sold in total; in fact the BMW brand sold almost three-times what Lincoln sold, with 20,651 vehicles moved.

Lincoln’s first salvo is set to be fired in November when the redesigned MKS and MKT are unveiled as 2012 models. The MKS and MKT are to be the first of seven all-new or redesigned Lincolns. Next up will be an all new Mondeo-based MKZ late next year, with the next four-models to be released throughout 2013 and 2014.

But is it enough? GM was able to bring around Cadillac’s resurgence on the back of the CTS sedan and strong design and marketing. What do you think it will take for Ford to be able to turn Linclon around? Or do you think Lincoln will be following Mercury to the big parking lot in the

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/ford-looks-finally-revitalize-lincoln-52537.html#ixzz1dGDIYlD5

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/ford-looks-finally-revitalize-lincoln-52537.html

Prob not.
Give me the 5.0 in a lincoln with rwd!

Why is it so hard to realize what needs to be done??

Why is cadillac king of American luxury??

Let me see sts, sts-v, cts, cts-v, dts, all V8 powered and they still have 6 bangers optional besides the v series. DTS is fwd but still sexy and powerful.

Lincoln has 6 cylinders in everything. Only the towncar had a V8 and it hasn't really changed since 98 and now they killed that off. So all we have are a bunch of dressed up fords with ugly fronts and high rears.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As long as the engine faces the wrong way and FWD is embraced I will spend my hard earned dollars elsewhere. There is no way a FWD-biased platform will keep up with BMW. IMHO, focusing on technology and leaving the driving experience as an afterthought may work short term but is a long term loser. Anyone remember the before-it's-time Tucker?

Why is it so hard to realize what needs to be done??

Why is cadillac king of American luxury??

Let me see sts, sts-v, cts, cts-v, dts, all V8 powered and they still have 6 bangers optional besides the v series. DTS is fwd but still sexy and powerful.

Lincoln has 6 cylinders in everything. Only the towncar had a V8 and it hasn't really changed since 98 and now they killed that off. So all we have are a bunch of dressed up fords with ugly fronts and high rears.

The CTS has only a V6. The -V has the V8.

I am actually looking at a CTS-V becasue ford doesnt have a RWD V-8 6spd available... used of course. The best would be a v8 awd 6 spd car... I would drive that.

There won't be a RWD V8 Lincoln for a long time.
Ford hired a guy from Europe a few years back that heads the new vehicle development department, this guy has Ford brain washed into thinking that you can get turbo'd V6 power the same as a V8.

Yes, you can on paper with numbers, but actual performance on the street wise, no.
Thats why all these new vehicles coming out are going to direct injected, better fuel economy, less engine displacement.

You'll get an AWD, V8 maybe, but no RWD V8, this guy wont let it happen. Definetly not a manual 6 speed either.

I'll be honest, there are two things holding me back from considering a new Lincoln:

1 - The styling is almost comical on the front end. FWD also pushes the front wheels so far back in the car that it kills any sportiness, just like in the Acura TL.

2 - Underpowered. If I'm paying premium prices, I want premium performance. Right now they seem to be more old school Buick focused (smooth, but slow)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As long as the engine faces the wrong way and FWD is embraced I will spend my hard earned dollars elsewhere. There is no way a FWD-biased platform will keep up with BMW. IMHO, focusing on technology and leaving the driving experience as an afterthought may work short term but is a long term loser. Anyone remember the before-it's-time Tucker?

nice to see we all think alike. im looking get a new ride as soon as my insurance check comes through for my totaled LS6. Im looking to get another ls, an STS, or a SUV. American is and always will be my only option.

Lincoln lost me when the got rid of the LS. I could care less about the current models.

A luxurious four door version of the the new GT would be a hit. Especially if they actually took the time to make it look good, instead of these hideous looking things they have been producing. I mean who gave the approval for those freaking grills and tail lights?????

i actually like the mks but i will only buy the awd eccoboost. but i must admit i was driving a 2010 benz cls and wow what i difference, my mks test drive didnt even compare. so when they say bmw and lexus levels in performance and refinement well i hope they come close cuz the last time they tried the made the LS and it won them car of the year.

A luxurious four door version of the the new GT would be a hit. Especially if they actually took the time to make it look good, instead of these hideous looking things they have been producing. I mean who gave the approval for those freaking grills and tail lights?????

Warmed over fords with the fugly freakin grills an tail lights! The LS will probably be the only Lincoln I will buy. They don't seem to interested in listening to what people have to say or what they want.

The price difference in an ecoboost MKS and a Benz CLS doesn't compare either... 48,000.00 vs 71,500.00...

First off I understand not everyone likes Lincolns current designs, and second I completely understand that many people are not fans of FWD. Having said that...

I don't think I would be wrong in saying that 90% or more members on this site bought their Mark or LS used (I know some who bought new but it is a small percentage). Many of us paid less than $20,000.00 for our cars and even more paid less than $10,000.00. I could be wrong but Lincoln is marketing to people who buy new not second or third hand products. Heck recently I have read where a couple new members paid like $1500.00 for their LS.

My point is that this site is not full of members who are sitting around with $50-60,000.00 in their pockets waiting for Ford to make the perfect Lincoln than performs like a BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class for $20,000.00 less than those other brands charge. If people had that kind of money what is stopping them from buying a year or two old BMW or Benz?
Ford is not concerned with what second hand or third hand buyers think, they are concerned with what people who walk into their showrooms think. Apparently there is a market for what they are producing because Acura, Buick and some Lexus models are FWD and sell just fine.

I am not trying to put anyone down, but I find it strange that people who cannot afford a product (myself included) complain because a product is not currently available. Ford has a marketing department who has done studies with their target consumer (those who can afford something inthe $50,000.00 range) and apparently the numbers were sufficient enough to warrant the production of their current vehicles.

Now that I have probably offended some people I would like to add that I am convinced Lincoln will produce RWD again. It will just take some time. But if they get it right it will come at a high price and will therefore be as untouchable to most of us as if it wasn't produced.

Since the twin turbo MKS came out (that can run the 1/4 in the 12's with a tune like a GT500...) only one member on here that I know off bought one. You can't tell me that it is simply becuase of the whole design and FWD/AWD issue, its because it is expensive. Anyone who truly was in the market for something in that price range and was against FWD based vehicles would have spent their $50,000 on a used Audi, BMW or Benz.

As one who did buy new, if Lincoln had an LS like car in the same price range as the LS was, I'd probably buy it when one of my current LSes needs to be replaced.
As it is, I suspect that I will be looking at Jaguar instead. I really would rather buy American.

Well said @Lincoln Luebbe. I'm one of the ones who obviously can't afford a new car (college budget) and bought my LS for under $10k. I'm not complaining at all at the moment considering I can't afford a new car. Maybe in a few years now when I'm in the market for one there might be some complaints but until then I'm just happy with what I have. Then again a lot happen in those few years. If I could, I would try to get a CTS-V considering they're the only new American luxury sports cars with RWD if I'm not mistaken. I have better things to do than dream about a car I can't afford.

Luebbe has a great point. But just because people can afford a new car, doesn't mean they don't want the same thing us second handers want. Totally see where you 're coming from, though.

I remember when I was shopping (ultimately for the LS). I really wanted a CTS-V as well. I feel like Cadillac has already grabbed that entire market as they have the v6 versions and then the big boy toys. I think Lincoln/Ford has accepted defeat.

The new Lincolns look like straight doo-doo. Have to be brutally honest.

I will say this, I am glad I came across the LS as I was able to pay for it outright whereas I would have a car payment with the CTS-V.

Truth be told, as much as I like the MKS/SHO ecoboost if I had 50K in my pocket I would buy a clean low mileage 2008ish M5 or E63 AMG and put the remaining 10-15K in the bank no question. I do think Lincoln has the potential to steal back the #1 American luxury position from Cadillac since the only non-rebadged vehicle Cadillac offers is the CTS. But realistically the Germans always have, and IMHO, always will have the Americans beat in the luxury/performance categories.

Since the twin turbo MKS came out (that can run the 1/4 in the 12's with a tune like a GT500...) only one member on here that I know off bought one. You can't tell me that it is simply becuase of the whole design and FWD/AWD issue, its because it is expensive. Anyone who truly was in the market for something in that price range and was against FWD based vehicles would have spent their $50,000 on a used Audi, BMW or Benz.

You make good points, Luebbe. I'll only quibble with the statement about the turbo MKS: It still has the same styling, which I don't think most people like.

Lincoln started to change their marketing a little when the LS came along. It was aimed at a "younger" buyer aged 35 - 45, instead of the over 60 average of the usual Lincoln buyer. To some extent it worked, too.

But Lincoln returned under North America Ford and that marketing decision changed, which is why they have nothing like the LS now. I'm not even talking about RWD vs. FWD, or V6 vs. V8 because I've driven some really nice FWD 6's built by Lexus and Infiniti. The Lincolns just don't look like serious sport sedan contenders.

Cadillac has managed to move some of their market "down" in age with the CTS's. Buick is moving that direction with their new models. I just hope Ford can find something similar for Lincoln.

I don't like the look of the newer ones. Bumming around in traffic, I can see the grills a mile off and don't think they look that good. They might drive nice, but that's only part of it as there are many cars that drive nice. The only car I bought new was an 87 Hyundai (which I still have albeit on it's last legs and some parts are no longer being made for it) and only got that because some kid who had his license for a week broad sided me in my wife's Vega. Now that was one hell of a beater! Not all that powerful but fun to drive. I've grown up some since then (I think) :)

When Nasser went everything he touched had to go. The LS had no insider to push for continued development, so Lincoln threw it out and has a lost decade.

Since someone hit my LS I've been looking at possible replacements in case it can not be fixed. My criteria are few but do limit my choices.

RWD, Manual Transmission, 4 door, fold down rear seats (or a pass through with room for several pairs of wide skis), reasonable used price.

The LS fit the bill (bought my 2000 with 36,000 in 2003 for 16,800). Now I'm down to CTS (crappy interior), G35 Sedan (funky interior), 325i , 330i , C240 (expensive parts on all three). All are hard to find used with MT.

Hopefully the LS is fixable and I can wait it out for used ATS models to surface.

How bad was the hit?

if it didn't blow the airbags, you got a shot at repair

Even bent frame can be fixed these days, but if its folded up like a half empty bag of chips, your options may be limited.

Good point, I bought my 04 new and my 01 new used, but your right most owners that have that cash pass Lincoln and go for the others, tell you the truth if it wasn't for the rebates most people wouldn't buy American but now both ford and Lincoln are turning out better cars but it will take Lincoln at least two models to change the perception of people. At least if they put the same efforts in Lincoln as they are DOI g with ford then they will get there and make a good comeback.

Members online

No members online now.
Back