For those who've fixed their own interior door handles

prophaci

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Trying to repair the broken door handle on my Gen1 and I've been reading the threads and I have a couple questions regarding the tools needed to get the rivets out, namely the drill bit size. Don't want to go overboard and ruin the bracket the new fastener is attatching too and then what length bolt would I need to replace it with?

Not really a master mechanic with a loaded garage, just a DIY'er whos trying to repair the car he loves.

Just use a bit that is slightly larger than the shaft size of the rivet. You just drill deep enough for the rivet head to pop off.

I just did mine last weekend. I new to fixing mechanical things on my own, but I can tell you that the hard part was the drill bit slipping off the center of the rivet. What I ended up doing was was use a large bit to wear down the outsides, then a bit the size of the center to take as much of it out as you can. Once it got near the end, I took a scewdriver and easily knocked out the center of the rivet.

To screw nuts onto the new handle, I took out the speaker, reached in the door and screwed on the nuts to the bolts. I wish I would have read this in other posts.

I also wish I would have taken photos to help others on this. Good luck!

Last edited:
1/4-20 bolts 3/4" long with teflon lock nuts are needed to install the new handle. When you drill out the rivets, you will not go deep enuf to ruin the pannel behind the handle if you drill the rivet dead center

1/4-20 bolts 3/4" long with teflon lock nuts are needed to install the new handle. When you drill out the rivets, you will not go deep enuf to ruin the pannel behind the handle if you drill the rivet dead center

Bringing up an old thread here; but you need to drill out the old rivets on the old interior door handle to remove the unit correct? I am planning on replacing my interior handle unit as it is broken as well.

Also could you elaborate on the bolt size? what do you mean by "1/4 20"? do you mean the bolt size is 1/4" and 3/4" long?

Thanks,

Ian.

He means the bolts are 1/4 in diameter/thickness
The 20 refers to the amount of threads per inch

Ah, ok. Got it now. Thanks man.

20130703_172953.jpg20130703_170659.jpg

I drilled the old rivet out, bought and used the bolts from Lowes and I put lock washer in it. So far no problems, its tight. :headbang:

20130703_172953.jpg

20130703_170659.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back