For those that want to do a coil conversion on the cheap.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
And staff, I dont want to step on any toes or violate any TOS so if this is bad please delete it.

I see threads all the time about coil conversion and whats needed and where to go, yada yada yada.

Well for the n00bs that dont know it is a very simple thing. Just get springs, struts and shocks for a 89-97 T-Bird or Cougar.

I found this deal and its an excellect conversion. It includes Tokico HP struts/shocks and performance springs that will drop the car 1.25". I have the Tokicos and they are excellent om our cars. Wish I would have seen this deal when I ordered mine cause I still want to do better springs and this way would have saved me $150 :(

But this is all thats needed to convert and drop the car. It includes the right bushings as well and is under $400. :eek:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKI...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, cant seem to make the ebay link work. :scratch:

The ebay sellers name is suspensionmax and the item number is 370240271168
img.jpg

is there incidental parts needed likean upper plate to hold the spring captive to the strut or does the strut come with it?

Any coil conversion is going to requrie upper spring perches in the rear and some type of height adjustment to account for the deeper spring cups in the Mark VIII LCA.

n00b is me. I completly forgot about the hat for the strut assembly.
I didnt know that the piece on the top of my rear spring was not factory. Makes sense though.

So as a correction you would still need the strut/spring hat up front from a Thunderbird/Cougar and the rear upper spring perch.
IMGP0107.gif

Just remember when this stuff doesn't work for you or you have troubles ... don't cry to Eddie at American Air Suspension ... most of these asian part companies send their customers to Eddie for support ... Eddie is not going to be giving this support anymore for people who don't buy through him.

IDK who Eddie is. If he is a prominent member of this forum then I will edit this thread out because as I said, I don't want to drink anyones Koolaid. I didn't see Geno selling them so I figured it was cool.
I thought I found a good coil conversion alternative for cheap and wanted to share it with my fellow enthusiasts. I see these crap part $400 kits out there and I know Tokico is a quality product and all that is needed for it is the upper spring perches.
Its not like we have 100's of places to choose from like Mustang owners do to buy parts from. Just tryin to help others out a little.

Eddie owns American Air Suspension ... he's a member but not a vendor on the site.

Thing is Eddie offers the best Mark VIII suspension service that nobody can beat.

American Air Suspension isn't a big company but it's the best ... Best quality and best service.

Eddie sells Strutmaster conversions for around the same price that Strutmasters sells.

Thing is Eddie is a mega source of Air Suspension support. If you have troubles Eddie will solve the problem and not just by selling you new parts.

But recently other dealers have been selling cheap (eBay cheap) China conversions and bags. Then when issues come up these companies have been sending their customers to Eddie to solve their problems or coach them through the install process or to Eddies site to diagnose problems.

This is very unfair to Eddie ... thing is Eddie is still willing to help these people out but is getting frustrated and may soon pull his support page on his website and not be as willing to help people who are not his customers because this abuse of his good nature.

Eddie it the best ... in the business ... I know him well ... he comes on this site and goes through the air ride threads and offers his support and advice .. You will see his post as American Air-1 Eddie's LvC user name ....

I'd hate to ever lose Eddie's free services he offers ... Eddie is the best...

i bought my whole conversion kit from Eddie for $410 shipped. not one complaint. GREAT service and great guy to deal with would deff buy from him again if i needed to. i got the stock height not lowered.

Well then he sounds like the dude to go with. Sounds like the same price only he includes the rest of the needed parts and he has excellent customer service which in my opinion is priceless.

I should have done more research before I posted this it appears. Thank you gentlemen for showing me the errors of my ways.
thumb.jpg

So does Eddies kit include performance shocks or are they Gabriels or Monroe?

Also what is Eddies screen name?

Eddie's kit comes with Monroe Sensatracks and stock ride height. Lowered height is avaliable for more money as well. I'd personally go with this ebay kit if I wanted to do a conversion...

The 1.5" drop isn't available on the American Air Suspension site right now.

The 1.5" drop isn't available on the American Air Suspension site right now.

ive got the loweing kit on mine, not bad mouthing but i did get bad strut. send them back with spring and got new one and now a yr later strut are out again..................

The struts on my kit only lasted year too. They were T-Bird Gabriels and they sucked even when the were not bad. I could crab the end with my index finger and thumb and compress the strut down with almost no reistance. Went inside and grabbed some gatoraid, drank half the bottle, went back outside and the strut still hadnt completly extended.
Definatly love teh Tokicos I have now. :)

the ebay seller also has the Illumina Tokico with 5 level damping adjustment for $560. might be worth it to some people.

I wish Eddie would sell us kits with more choices in shocks or springs.

Give us variable rate springs Eddie! Offer a selection of shocks! The discussion you're seeing in this thread and on this forum is an untapped market for you! Or even sell a hardware kit including the front strut mounts, rear upper shock mounts, rear upper spring perches, and rear LCA height adjustors so that people could choose their own spring & shock combinations and have everything they need.

My first two conversion kits were AAS, and while I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of the kits, ease of installation, and the quality of service, I also must note that I desired more from my suspension than what was delivered. A performance alternative is what led me to build my own setup.

The struts on my kit only lasted year too. They were T-Bird Gabriels and they sucked even when the were not bad. I could crab the end with my index finger and thumb and compress the strut down with almost no reistance. Went inside and grabbed some gatoraid, drank half the bottle, went back outside and the strut still hadnt completly extended.
Definatly love teh Tokicos I have now. :)

In all fairness and full disclosure, I love the Tokicos but I am replacing them after less than two years. I fully intend to discover if they will honor the warranty for basic wear & tear.

Members online

Back