Fog Light Housing Breaking

RodLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago my brother noticed one of my fog lights was shattered. The glass lens was completely smashed, just some pieces around the edge left. I replaced both sides with new housings. Yesterday while washing my car I noticed the same side was broke again. This time just a crack across the front.

Any idea whats causing them to break?

Must be your jealous neighbours..

..or rocks/road debris. I've seen this over at some M-Benz forums. Apparently the C-Class uses thin glass lenses on the fogs that shatter easily.

Put Lamin-X or some other clear film over them? Maybe a clear bra would work.

coincidence... unless you used a cheaper aftermarket when you replaced the first time, then it might be caused by substandard glass..

I'm on my third (or is it fourth? - all OEM from Ford) broken one now. I think that I'll just leave it that way. I assume (but don't know) that rocks are hitting them. This is on my 06. My 04 has the plastic rectangular fogs, and I've yet to have to replace one of them.

Ouch, that sucks.

+1 on the lamin-x. Its suppose to help and make the glass more resistant to braking and such.

Weird.

My originals were fine just chipped and i replaced them with brand new oem ones.

And the glass on them is anything but thin...very high quality actually. Other cars have plastic fogs.

Weird.

My originals were fine just chipped and i replaced them with brand new oem ones.

And the glass on them is anything but thin...very high quality actually. Other cars have plastic fogs.

What speed do you travel on average? Maybe that's a factor...

Members online

No members online now.
Back