Flowmaster 40's?

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have flowmaster 40's installed on their MK VII?? i am thinking of installing a pair, can anyone suggest how it will affect my gas milegae??

Also, are they very loud inside the car?? i am still debating whether to go for the standard 40's or go for the delta flow 40's

I have the Delta Flow 40's on the red car. It's actually quite nice. As long as you have tail pipes, the noise inside is not a problem. I have an O/R x-pipe and it's not very loud inside...it's definitely an attention getter on the outside, though. It won't do anything for your gas mileage.

Im more worried about getting LESS gas mileage, so do you think i should get around the same as what i am already getting?

My LSC SE VII w/ flowmasters was getting roughly 20+ MPG on the highway. I say was, as it is now under the "knife" getting new rear gears.

40s

i have 40s on my 1991 mark 7 they sound mean!!! Around 2000 rpm they roar the price i pais was $100 each I have a bad exhaust leak so i would imagine that i would sound even better. My gas milegae is around 330 miles per tank so around 16-22 mpg _I hope it helps!!

Boss Lsc

Thanks guys, just another question, i noticed my car has a 2in stainless system by the looks of things. i would have thought it would have been a larger diameter. Anyone know the stock diameter of the exhaust system?

My son had Force Pro Series installed on his '87 LSC this summer. They are 2 chamber and made to sound like the Flowmaster 40's. They will tell you this when you call their tech line. He got them from Summit for $32 each. They're quality constructed and look like they will last... time will tell. I don't think the Flowmasters will last twice as long for twice the price though. I've heard sound bites of the 40's and these sound like them. It's a nice DEEP rumble, not too loud in the car, but loud outside. He ran 2-1/4" from the converters back with 2-1/2" tails bent in the stock location. He got them because of price and the techs at Summit swore by them. They have made a believer out of me and no way would I spend more than twice as much for the Flowmasters. I don't know about airflow on these but those numbers are always misleading anyway. I haven't heard or read of anyone else using these though. I'm always looking to try something a little different from the norm to see how it works. Plus I figured if I he didn't like them I'd use them on one of my other 5 cars. I'm not knocking the Flowmasters guys, this is just one man's opinion.
Dave.

The above is a good point; I wouldn't go out of my way to buy flowbastards; personally I'd go with super turbos. I have the Flowmasters on this car, since the exhaust was done before I got it. I have to admit, I'm much more impressed than I would have expected, though. I'd recommend catching some sound bites of cheaper options, especially if you're on a tight budget and willing to experiment.

had 40s on my mustang, and caprice. only way to go. no tail pipes, they gave me a popping sound when i let off the gas at high rpms, and i hated it. mine were very loud, but a solid, even, purr. if the ls wasnt a luxury car or i had it built it for racing i would have flows

JoshMcMadMac said:
The above is a good point; I wouldn't go out of my way to buy flowbastards; personally I'd go with super turbos.

I've got 2 Super Turbos waiting to go on the next car that needs them. I got them from Summit when Walker had the mail in rebate. I think final price was $15-20 each. FYI, when I was talking to the Summit techs they said the Summit turbo was ALMOST an exact copy of the Super Turbo, and it is ~$15 each. The advantage of the Super Turbo is it's lifetime warranty. I got them on my wife's '88. They sound like what the car should have come with from the factory. Deep sound and very little inside noise, just enough to let you know they're there. No where near as loud as my sons car, he's 16 and I'm 42. He likes loud and I like the Super Turbos for everyday driving. I agree with you on the gas mileage Josh. I've seen no difference on either of the cars. Both are LSC's and get ~17-19 in everyday driving on country backroads. They do seem a little more throttle responsive at low rpm's. My kid said his mileage was worse with the Force ones. I had to remind him when he got on it to hear the exhaust every time he takes off, and blipped the throttle in every parking lot, and revved it up before he shut it down, that it wasn't the mufflers fault his mileage got worse. He just grinned..............he's paying for the gas, and still leadfootin' it to hear the roar. I leave him be, there are worse things, at least he ain't on the corner sellin' dope.
Dave.

Nah, definately.. don't buy loud mufflers looking for gas milage...lol.

If you want to hear how FM-40's sound on an auto Mark, here's mine before tranny change, with stock H-Pipe.
http://www.parodycentral.net/Auto/MarkVII Auto - StockHpipe Flowmaster40s.mp3
Just ignore the stupid tree insects in the background...lol.

Noise in the car is not bad at all, considering that realize what you've done. Some people don't like the 'droning noise' at certain speeds. Best fix for that is some higher rear end gears. 3.55's or 3.73's seem to work wonders for that.

Flowmaster's website has additional sounds at their website on various vehicles.

Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.
Back