Flowmaster 40 Series

TNsilverLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For those of you with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. How do you like them? and is there any cabin drone?

Ive had them for a while now and they arent too bad, when i first had them put on i had them keep my resonators on, about a week afterward i wanted a little more rumble and had them delete them. there isnt to much drone in my opinion, of course there is that sweet spot that makes it cancel any other noise in the cabin but besides that it isnt too bad. the only thing i dont like is when under heavy throttle it sounds more like a straight pipe chopper then a v8, really really poppy and rapsy and im not a big fan of that. but overall im pretty satisfied with them.

raspy and poppy...I might as well just cut off my mufflers then. Why spend so much on those mufflers when they sound like a straight pipe :-D

they aint too bad i have had them for a while. i didnt think they were that much louder though , just a little more throaty. iv'e never heard mine pop

They sound nothing like straight pipe I have straight pipe on the cutlass and it is LOUD. I love thee way they sound. And by the way flowmaster lost their patent a while back and other companies are making the exact same product, talk to youre muffler guy and tell him you want flowmaster knockoffs their half the price you just dont get the stickers.

Signed,
CAR-X Man :cool:

i think mine pop and are raspy under heavy throttle is due to the fact i still have the stock diameter pipe, because ive heard other cars with slightly bigger pipe and they sound a whole lot better then mine. who knows though.

** oh and the "popping" im talking about isnt like an actual pop that you hear on a lot of straight pipe cars, i just coulnt think of another word to describe it, sound is kind of like a knock i guess. maybe thats a better word. and im not saying thy are as loud as a straight pipe car, a friend of mine has a 6.0 gto with 3 inch straight pipe and that thing hurts my ears.

i think mine pop and are raspy under heavy throttle is due to the fact i still have the stock diameter pipe, because ive heard other cars with slightly bigger pipe and they sound a whole lot better then mine. who knows though.

** oh and the "popping" im talking about isnt like an actual pop that you hear on a lot of straight pipe cars, i just coulnt think of another word to describe it, sound is kind of like a knock i guess. maybe thats a better word. and im not saying thy are as loud as a straight pipe car, a friend of mine has a 6.0 gto with 3 inch straight pipe and that thing hurts my ears.

Could that raspy sound be caused by deleting the resonators?

definalty could, im not a exhust expert by far and they never sounded like that with them on, they sounded good with them still on but i just wanted something louder.

I don't know much about exhaust either it was just a guess. I appreciate the input though. I'll be getting a pair in a couple weeks after I get my lowering springs on.

that was a hard decision for me to make, my girlfriend got my exhaust for my birthday and it was either that or some springs but i was affraind my tires would rub if i lowered so i did the exhaust.

I may rub when I get the springs on but I'm hoping I don't or I'd be wishing I went with the mufflers.

Could that raspy sound be caused by deleting the resonators?

I have 40 series flowmasters with the resonators still on and I don't have any raspy sound. If you delete them then put in a X pipe instead of the factory H pipe and that should eliminate that sound. That works on mustangs so it's worth a try. I would like to cut off my resonators and get a X pipe. They sound so much better than a H pipe

I don't know what they sound like on LS, but I had them on my thunderbird SC and hated them. They were so obnoxious, had to turn up the radio, and everybody turned their head when I drove by.

I 'm a quiet guy and also like my car quiet. Maybe you want to turn heads?

I have only heard a few V 6's that sounded decent with a Flowmaster and it also depends what series you get. I love the sound of my V 8 with 40 series!

Does anyone know how to adjust the resonators on a 2000 Lincoln LS to make them louder? I had to replace my 40 series flowmasters because they rotted out after 7 years. I replaced them again with flowmasters and was wondering if the resonators can be adjusted? Is this something I can do myself?

what muffler exactly are you guys using? is there only one size? I just want to replace my mufflers and keep my stock tubing, but Im debating on whether to still go glass packs or get real mufflers.... glasspacks with custom install about $110 for me

Ive had them for a while now and they arent too bad, when i first had them put on i had them keep my resonators on, about a week afterward i wanted a little more rumble and had them delete them. there isnt to much drone in my opinion, of course there is that sweet spot that makes it cancel any other noise in the cabin but besides that it isnt too bad. the only thing i dont like is when under heavy throttle it sounds more like a straight pipe chopper then a v8, really really poppy and rapsy and im not a big fan of that. but overall im pretty satisfied with them.

i get the same noise under WOT w/ resonator delete. i never heard it with the resonators but i wish i would have left them on

That's what I run - magnaflow x-pipe and no resonators.

so would an x-pipe or an H-pipe help with reducing this rasp noise? the guy from the shop told me to go with larger pipe but i thought he just wanted more business rather than help me. if a simple H or X pipe helps then i would try that avenue first. let me know

40 series

ive got them also custom exhaust work all the way my v8 is a beast i luv them. turns alot of heads

i get the same noise under WOT w/ resonator delete. i never heard it with the resonators but i wish i would have left them on
so would an x-pipe or an H-pipe help with reducing this rasp noise? the guy from the shop told me to go with larger pipe but i thought he just wanted more business rather than help me. if a simple H or X pipe helps then i would try that avenue first. let me know

Yea if you get a X-pipe and put it in place of where your factory H-pipe is then it should eliminate that raspy sound you have. Magnaflows are the worst with sounding raspy unless you have a X-pipe. You can get a universal Bassani x-pipe for your car for like $80 or I am sure the muffler shop has a universal brand x-pipe for cheaper. Bassani has a patent on their design and will help the most on exhaust scavenging.

Yea if you get a X-pipe and put it in place of where your factory H-pipe is then it should eliminate that raspy sound you have. Magnaflows are the worst with sounding raspy unless you have a X-pipe. You can get a universal Bassani x-pipe for your car for like $80 or I am sure the muffler shop has a universal brand x-pipe for cheaper. Bassani has a patent on their design and will help the most on exhaust scavenging.

nice! thanks for the tip. do you think they carry the Bassani brand in the muffler shops? if not, would the cheaper ones achieve the same goal? i hate that rasp noise above all!

nice! thanks for the tip. do you think they carry the Bassani brand in the muffler shops? if not, would the cheaper ones achieve the same goal? i hate that rasp noise above all!

They might carry Bassani but they will tax you for it. Just got online to Summit or something and get the X-pipe. Their patent is kinda like a little chamber in the middle of the X-pipe that resonates the sound. Get a name brand and you will be happy. I can't speak for other brands because I have no experience with them.

I have a set of 40's and I like the way it sounds, I kinda wish it was a bit deeper in sound but I get compliments on it all the time.. Think I get that pop some were talking about due to an exhaust leak I have yet to find.. I hear it on moderate exceleration along with a slight tick..
Anyway they sound good to me.

Good Luck

Members online

Back