First Snowfall - need tips!

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well - after clearing 8" of wet, thick snow of my Mark VIII. As I let the engine get up to temp, the heat defrost to do it's thing, and let the bags inflate. I cleared a path for my car, put it in reverse. Got out of the driveway, and then immediately into the ditch. I have NO traction. I have Falken Sincera touring tires - that people have reviewed as pretty good for snow. But I need some tips on how I can make it from A-to-B. Thanks, LVC!

received_1230848196938380.jpg

snow tires and sand bags in the trunk.

mark viiis suck in the snow.

I haven't any money for new tires, but I threw a few cinder blocks. 40 pounds each, so the rear end is a little bit more predictable. And also! Sometimes my Trac works!

I haven't any money for new tires, but I threw a few cinder blocks. 40 pounds each, so the rear end is a little bit more predictable. And also! Sometimes my Trac works!

I can tell you what to do in the snow......don't drive it...:)

I drove a 94 TBird for many years. Everyday driver. Similar to your car regarding snow, traction, etc.

I never used snows or all weathers, but I live in north Jersey where we really don't get bombarded constantly and, in most cases, they plow like crazy.

I was also lucky that the corporations I worked for released the staff early and were very lenient regarding attendance on the day after big storms. (Many times, my managers left before I did.)

If you don't already, all I can suggest is getting used to driving in second gear most of the time when the roads are covered

Good luck..

snow tires and sand bags in the trunk.

mark viiis suck in the snow.

Really? I don't think so. Considering you have a 290 HP rear wheel sports car. I think the M8 is pretty decent in snow... And that is with the traction control off. With it on, I find it amazing.

I do put snows on now, this helps with quick traction if and when you want it. my first winter with her was with all seasons on.

Now my previous winter cars were a 84 Z28 and a 88 Trans Am GTA. When I first started driving the Z28, I didn't have money to buy snow tires and drove with bald all season tires, sure she went side ways, but the hardest part was parking in the city at a parking meter on the side streets (with all the other cars packing down the snow).

I originally bought the M8 for a winter ride. However, after driving her one season, I like her so much, that I bought 18 deep dish rims and BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2, ultra hi-performance summer tires and coated her with Corrosion Free rust inhibitor.

I think the M8 is an amazing ride, summer or winter!

Yep second gear starts
And for you get about 200lbs in the trunk
I also suggest going to practice driving in a big open lot with the traction control off.
I've driven mark viii's in the winter for 10 year
And I have only had rwd for winter for 17 years it works good with practice.

well, the original plan was to buy a Navigator. But I lost my job - so I'm stuck with my Mark VIII.

no a bad ride to be stuck with!

Just take your time and get used to her in the snow. A little finesse will go a long way with the M8 and her power. I would go to a big empty parking lot and spend some time and get a feel for her. Of course be safe and take it easy. You will find the M8 in the snow is very predictable.

Yep second gear starts
And for you get about 200lbs in the trunk
I also suggest going to practice driving in a big open lot with the traction control off.
I've driven mark viii's in the winter for 10 year
And I have only had rwd for winter for 17 years it works good with practice.

lol that is just what I said, just seen you post now. You are right on the money slowmkviii!

Really? I don't think so. Considering you have a 290 HP rear wheel sports car. I think the M8 is pretty decent in snow... And that is with the traction control off. With it on, I find it amazing.

I do put snows on now, this helps with quick traction if and when you want it. my first winter with her was with all seasons on.

Now my previous winter cars were a 84 Z28 and a 88 Trans Am GTA. When I first started driving the Z28, I didn't have money to buy snow tires and drove with bald all season tires, sure she went side ways, but the hardest part was parking in the city at a parking meter on the side streets (with all the other cars packing down the snow).

I originally bought the M8 for a winter ride. However, after driving her one season, I like her so much, that I bought 18 deep dish rims and BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2, ultra hi-performance summer tires and coated her with Corrosion Free rust inhibitor.

I think the M8 is an amazing ride, summer or winter!

Yes really, A Mark VIII is lighter in the rear end than most cars and only has single wheel traction. Anyone who lives were there is some serious snow can tell you they are not good snow cars. Every one of a dozen I have had even had some trouble in the rain.

yeah they are just not good snow cars.
even the taurus sho's we had were much better in the snow with all seasons on them.
dad also had an 89 xr7, and somehow, it was even worse.

Yes really, A Mark VIII is lighter in the rear end than most cars and only has single wheel traction. Anyone who lives were there is some serious snow can tell you they are not good snow cars. Every one of a dozen I have had even had some trouble in the rain.

My 94 TBird had positraction, so I had two rear wheels going.

I've owned cars since 1960, and I never had snow tires on any car until I bought a set for my wife's 2004 LS (which I now leave at home, when it snows, and use the Explorer).

But, in 1961, I did put one used snow tire (that's all I could afford) on the right rear wheel of my 1954 Olds 2 dr sedan, manual shift.

Did I really think that one used snow tire would make a difference?

Back then, chains were the big thing.

I think it was Mercury that had an option that, by depressing something on the dash, a liquid would be dripped on to the rear tires to improve traction. Of course, if you spun your wheels while driving in snow/slush, the openings would be covered snow/slush.

Not a great idea.

I put 4 new Bizzaks on my 95, and it's as good in the snow as my 4X4 1 ton PU. New snow tires are made differently, than they used to be. Great traction, and no front end sliding out, even on ice. Taking off in 2nd works well, limits the power. 16 years in CT with just regular snows in the rear, and it's night and day with 4 new snows. Best $400 I spent.

When my 64 Galaxie was an everyday driver, I noticed something different using the Galaxie's D2.

The Galaxie would start out in 2nd gear, but shift to 3rd on it's own, then back to second at a dead stop.

This meant that you could leave the car in D2 and forget about it, but it also took away the 2nd gear help when dropping speed.

Also, D2 was a "hill holder" on steep inclines. Car would not roll back when in D2 regardless of idle rpms or incline.

I put 4 new Bizzaks on my 95, and it's as good in the snow as my 4X4 1 ton PU. New snow tires are made differently, than they used to be. Great traction, and no front end sliding out, even on ice. Taking off in 2nd works well, limits the power. 16 years in CT with just regular snows in the rear, and it's night and day with 4 new snows. Best $400 I spent.
Then your driving the worst 4x4 1ton PU on the planet if its no better than your Mark VIII

I also had some troubles in the rain! Glad it wasn't only me.

Then your driving the worst 4x4 1ton PU on the planet if its no better than your Mark VIII
My 4X4 does well in the snow. I've had the front end slide out a few times, because of the tires. The MK VIII without the new snows would slide out easily. I read about the way they make new snow tires on Tire Rack site, and had to try them. I was amazed with the grip and traction. They have 2 sets of wear bars, one for the molecules, and one for the tire wear. I've never had any tire grip as well.

Chevy PU.jpg

Blizzak's.jpg

I use snow tires on the back of my Mark, start off in second, traction control on, and feather the gas. Just get used to going up hills sideways, thats just how it is. I will say if you can afford a trac loc it will probably help. My last car was a 79 Trans Am with a built 455 Olds and I had an old set of studded snow tires from the 80s they resembled tractor tires, with the posi trac it actually wasnt bad until you tried to stop, then it may have well been a sled....

I got a set of the WS-80 Blizzaks and they were superb in yesterday's ice storm. For some reason, Bridgestone has perfected the winter tire. I have had a decent set of Hakka and a stupid set of Michelin Ice and neither was even close. I need to buy from who Tony buys from as mine cost a tad over $500 and we have no sales tax. My 98 LSC has posi, yes? Both are pushing when starting out. And, if buying snows, get all four. Much better than just two.

not unless someone added it.

Chris, I just dug up the window sticker on my dearly departed 1994 TBird.

One of the options: Cold Weather Group. traction-lok (ie: posi traction) axle: $115.

1994 TBird and LSC's had a similar platform, I believe. Rear wheel independent suspension was a feature on both cars as well as the Cougar.

Traction-lok (posi traction) must have been a factory option on the LSC.

not unless someone added it.

Then where would it get a locked diff? My car will not even smoke the rears w/o both tires engaging together. Now I will go out and jack it up and attempt to turn the wheels independently and see what happens. This has me confused, but the evidence is on your side. Tune in tomorrow... ps- that white car of yours is beautiful. perfect stance, too

Members online

No members online now.
Back