First review of the Eco-Boosted 2010 MKT and MKS

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have to say the MKT still has a polarizing exterior, but the interior is generations beyond the current Navigator.

And the MKS looks sick in black. An Appearance Sport package will be released in the near future for the MKS. The Taurus SHO might handle better than the MKS-EcoBoosted version.

Youtube of MKS driving (beware annoying laughing): YouTube - Driving Ford's 2010 EcoBoost Lincoln MKS

http://jalopnik.com/5253073/2010-lincoln-mkt-ecoboost-first-drive
http://jalopnik.com/5253188/2010-lincoln-mks-ecoboost-first-drive
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/15/first-drive-2010-lincoln-mkt-ecoboost-and-mks-ecoboost/

Fraom Jalopnik:
But what about the drive? What about that EcoBoost? We have good news to report. This thing is a rocketship. The MKT launches hard off the line and you're bumping up against the 120 MPH speed limiter before you can say "EcoBooooooooooost!" It's been a long wait to get behind the wheel of an EcoBoosted car and the MKT was a strange pick for first ride, but man, this engine is a gem. Zero turbo lag. None. Instant power at any RPM as the torque curve basically goes flat from 800 RPM all the way to 5500 RPM, this thing is a monster of a V6. In cruise control at 65 MPH we observed about 24 MPG, which is pretty standard V6 performance, but keep in mind this is producing a very V8-like 355 HP. It'll also run happily on 87 octane because of the direct injection. We do have one complaint to make to Ford though. Where did you put the turbo whine? You have two turbos so there should be twice as much of that zesty whistle, and yet there is none. So sad.

When you're talking great engines from domestic automakers, they usually get paired with stinkers for transmissions. Not so here. The MKT gets a brand new six speed automatic with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters actually capable of doing their job as advertised. Pop it into manual mode and you hit the rev limiter and the gear selection stays put, not to say it's lightning fast on the change once you do tell it to swap cogs, but it is acceptable.

From Autoblog:
For our preview drive, we had the chance to compare the EcoBoost-equipped MKT against a more SUV-minded crossover, the 4.2-liter V8-powered Audi Q7. The Audi was chosen because, like the Lincoln, it can accommodate seven occupants (five in actual comfort) with a similar footprint. When developing the MKT and MKS, Lincoln considered whether to offer a V8 engine to compete with premium competitors. However, given the expectation that fuel economy and emissions standards would get tougher, the choice was made to follow a different path.

The key to these new engines is direct fuel injection. With the turbochargers now pushing nothing but compressed air into the combustion chamber, there is no longer an opportunity for pre-ignition. Directly injecting fuel into the combustion chamber actually cools the compressed intake charge allowing the compression ratio of the EcoBoost engines to be kept much higher than in the past. The result: the 3.5-liter EcoBoost hits its torque peak of 350 lb-ft at just 1,500 rpm and stays there all the way to 5,250 rpm. The power peaks at 355 hp at 5,700 rpm. By comparison, the Q7 V8 generates only 325 lb-ft and peaks at 3,500 rpm.

For our preview drive of the EcoBoost MKT, we started off with three laps of the Romeo Proving Ground's five-mile high speed oval in both vehicles. For the first lap, we ran at speeds of up to 100 mph to evaluate the power and smoothness of the engines at sustained high speeds. For the second lap, we dropped speeds down to about 40 mph and tried out light to medium throttle tip-ins to simulate what a driver might need to make a pass on a two-lane road. For the third and final lap, we set the cruise control to 70 mph and reset the mileage readout to record highway mileage at constant speed.

Anyone who's driven any of the bigger Fords and Lincolns of the past couple of years will be familiar with Ford's 6F50 six-speed automatic transaxle. This unit was co-developed with General Motors, but each company does their own control software. In Blue Oval guise, this transmission is one of the smoothest shifting units on the market. For EcoBoost applications, the gearbox has been upgraded with beefed-up gears and clutches and an optimized torque converter. The EcoBoost versions also get steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and standard all-wheel drive.

Where the EcoBoost engine really showed its performance advantage over the Audi was when it came to throttle tip-in. The EcoBoost's fat and flat torque curve gives the Lincoln a response that is almost diesel-like, albeit without the attendant soundtrack. A light squeeze on the go pedal results in a seamless sweep of the speedometer needle clockwise around the dial, even without a kick-down of the transmission. Simply put, it's just a rush of acceleration. Regardless of whether you're going from 40 to 60 mph, from 50 to 70 mph, or 70 to 100 mph, the result is the same. Attempting the same feat in the Q7 results in a response far less impressive in its forcefulness. As good an engine as the Audi V8 is, it simply doesn't have anywhere near the low-end torque of the EcoBoost V6.

Of course, the biggest reason for going with a boosted V6 rather than a V8 is better fuel consumption. We ran a five-mile lap in each vehicle with the cruise control set at 70 mph. This is obviously far too short a test to be considered definitive, but it gives a reasonable indication of the results we can expect. Winds were blowing at speeds up to 40 mph on the day of our drive, but since we ran in both directions on the oval, its impact was minimized. The final EPA numbers for the MKT aren't ready yet, but Ford is expecting them to be at least 16 mpg city and 22 mpg on the highway. For comparison's sake, the Audi Q7 is rated by the EPA at 13/18 mpg and it registered 18.8 mpg on our short test. The same resulted in an average of 22 mpg for MKT, with a peak of 23.8 mpg on the tailwind side of the oval. That's a healthy 17% better than the V8-powered Audi, although other factors like weight, aerodynamics, mechanical drag, etc. need to be considered in this comparison.

Following our oval laps, we headed over to the hill route and durability loops for some ride and handling evaluations of the MKT and Q7. When we drove the Flex last summer, we were particularly impressed with the dynamic behavior of the big wagon. For such a large vehicle, it felt remarkably well-balanced with a great combination of spring and damping rates that kept body roll and understeer in check while still delivering a comfortable ride. For the EcoBoost MKT, the engineers have continued tweaking the formula, and when run back to back against the Q7, the difference was immediately apparent. In short, the Flex drives like a vehicle much smaller than it is, and the same is true of the MKT in spite of its luxury ambitions. You can manhandle the MKT hard into a corner, and the combination of well-tuned mechanical bits and seamless stability control intervention allow it to just track through at speeds that are surprisingly high for a CUV.

In spite of the ten-inch longer Lincoln weighing some 300 pounds more, it felt significantly more responsive both at full and part throttle compared to the Infiniti, whose 4.5-liter V8 is rated at 325 hp and 336 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. The MKS' mileage results were also similar to its more family-minded sibling. We averaged 25.1 mpg around the loop in the Lincoln, while the M45x only achieved 21 mpg, a disadvantage of 16.4%. Again, the results of our too-brief test should be taken with several grains of salt, but they should also provide a reasonably accurate forecast at what to expect in real-world driving.

All four EcoBoost models go on sale later this summer, and we'll have more in-depth reviews when they are available. Come 2010, Ford promises that a longitudinal version of the EcoBoost V6 will find a home in the F-150 pickup (and most likely in the Mustang eventually, as well). We've already driven an early prototype F-150 with EcoBoost, and while it was far from finished, our initial impressions were positive. In fact, it bordered on "Who needs a V8?" Sometime later next year, we also expect to also see the first four-cylinder EcoBoost engines in the bay of the next-generation Focus. Although the latter application will probably be more fuel-economy minded than performance oriented, but we can hardly wait.

From CarConnection (MKT):
A big part of why the MKT with EcoBoost performs so well is the accompanying all-wheel-drive system that is part of the complete package. Regardless of how hard we drove the crossover (much harder and faster than any owner ever will), the fact that power is distributed to all four tires helped give the MKT a grounded feeling that's easy to recognize but hard to write about. Words that describe the driving experience are grounded, solid, controlled, and responsive. Words that don't fit the experience include twitchy, unblanced, frightening, and unpredictable

From CarConnection (MKS):
When pushed harder than any Lincoln driver will ever push, the MKS takes a set in a corner and easily manages the power from the EcoBoost engine via the standard all-wheel-drive system. New-for-2010 paddle shifters make playing boy racer safer because you can keep your hands on the steering wheel instead of futzing with the floor-mounted shifter as was the only option in 2009. Overall, responsiveness is spot on for a car in this class.

The 2010 Lincoln MKS Sport with EcoBoost is a car luxury sedan prospects should consider because if offers something unique in terms of performance (and economy) that helps differentiate the sedan from other luxury cars.

ecoboost-mks black.jpg

007_mktecoboost_fd.jpg

019_mktecoboost_fd.jpg

mks rear.jpg

I like the black, silver, or red....that's about it for the MKS for me...I still dislike how huge it is though...I like the small low profile look of my LS.....

It's just a trademark name Ford has come up with to name their new/future fuel economic engine lines with turbos.

I like the black, silver, or red....that's about it for the MKS for me...I still dislike how huge it is though...I like the small low profile look of my LS.....

It is a big car, and it has a high beltline. But I find the driving position more comfortable than on my LS. Not to mention the interior is so much better.

I like the MKS ecoboost but at the same time you run into the same problem as the LS which is no aftermarket.

Maybe because a lot of people thought "what's the point" since they aren't exactly fast...compared to many other cars out there.....

gayest video ever...lol love the MKS tho...would u not be able to upgrade the turbos??

Too bad it's still a nose-heavy FWD appliance.

When pushed harder than any Lincoln driver will ever push

Says it all..........

Members online

Back