First oil change on my V8 using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 full synthetic

You could also fill up with 89 and throw in a couple of mothballs, it'll go like snot for a little while, after that ... instant parts car. LOL

Funniest thing I read on here just yet,

that plus the part where one should be shot for putting additives into perfectly good motor oil.

Don't care what gets dumped into conventional oil, generally speaking it will make it better. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. When you start adding to synthetics you are playing with fire. This statement is loaded.... Depending on what synthetic oil and what additive, most go backwards big time and loose protection, test lab results. The ones that don't go backwards have little gain in protection. The good news is that it feeds the economy and keeps people working.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868293

Lots of horror stories to Google also. Didn't change for No reason.

http://blog.modbargains.com/15000-mile-oil-change-myth/

Good article. The 15k oil change myth.

Kinda reminds me of one of my inlaws... He buys a new car and never changes the oil, I mean until the filter starts leaking. It has worked for him for years. His motto is that during the life of the car you waste time and money changing your oil. By the time you change the oil every 3k and add in your time wasted you can buy an engine if/when the time comes. He will top off though with the cheapest crap he can buy at the gas station. The way he tells it he is very convincing....

Yeah,used to be if you got 200K in the 60s,it was a big deal. I did just that with a 170 cid Ford Falcon Futura that got 235,000 miles and still didn't burn over a qt. of oil per 3K change.Drove it every day for a while to Columbus and back(170 miles round trip).May have been the best,most dependable car I ever owned.
Before synthetic,I would only run Marathon straight 30W V.E.P. oil and a can of STP.
But you can't argue with oil like full synthetic which came along and kept a lot of overheated engines from being ruined because of superior heat resistance.
don-ohio :)^)

I grin, roll my eyes and shake my head when Oil, paint, Trucks, religion or politics comes about... Someone is going to get a black eye or ass hurt.
The 80s and 90s when I was a tech I saw a lot of vehicles go 200 and a couple 300k. You know the ones who drive a ton of miles for work and put on 35k a year commuting. Back then Mobil1 was really the only game in town. Had a early 90s chevy 2500 350 efi FedEx van than went 300k with it. Never opened the motor, not even an intake gasket... Unheard of! At the same time had a several others of various makes and models that did good ole Valvoline, castrol and Amaco oil and a napa filter go 200k. Back then it was a big deal, today if a car has a 100k on it, it is not a big deal. Funny how times and technology changes.

I am running the exact same oil but 5-20 like you supposed too. IMG_0776.jpg

(the 0 was for another vehicle)

IMG_0776.jpg

Good luck with using 0W20 in a ford that was design for 5. GM put out a bulletin that said it was OK in select vehicles, 0w20... 2015 and up GM use 0w20 in all models including light trucks. Dexos licensed of course...

When we run oil analysis in ford modular motors running 5w20 most oils are about wore out by 5k miles. Full synthetic we get more. Lots of variables go along with that though.

0W20 vs 5W20 is not going to matter that much. In fact, many folks run 5W in the summer and 0W in the winter because the 0W will flow a bit better at low temps. Slapping straight 40W into a car that needs 5W20 would be a problem, because the bearings are specced for a thinner oil and the thicker oil simply won't get in between the bearings properly until the bearings wear down enough that the oil molecules can slide in. Sure, some will get in there but not enough will make it in. On top of this, the thicker oil being pumped by an oil pump through an engine designed for lighter oil will build too much pressure. In fact, this is a used car dealer trick to increase oil pressure on a car with a worn engine. They put really thick oil in, and the oil pressure comes up. Lasts until the owner changes the oil.

Yes, and Worst. Careful what you post, or say about post here. LOL!

Scott, refresh my memory here please, where and when? what happened? Did I get into it over a wax product, seems so not like me :p

Can you point me in the right direction so I can have a look, see what the fuss was all about.

There's no doubt that AMSOIL is a quality product. But Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol full Synthetic have always served me well,at MUCH less cost per change. don-ohio :)^)

can you mix 5W20 with 0W20?

Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

Of course you can, I just did it last night, had some left over Mobil1 5W20, after I changed the oil on the 04 LSE with 4.4L of Mobil1 0W20 I was short the remainder up to 6.6L ... I just added what I had left over from the 5W20 jug. Saved me from buying two 0W20 jugs or one with additional 1L jugs.

Not a huge deal really, gotta use up some left overs some times.

0W~ runs nice in the winter vs. 5W~ runs best in the summers, is how I like to think of it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back