Finally christened. Meet Al

kaha

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
When I first joined LVC, I posted a coupla pics of my ride, being a firm believer in the "Pics or it didn't happen!" philosophy. Here's one:

LSC-2.jpg

One owner, was love at first sight, love at first long drive, and still love at even a short trip to the supermarket. In the process of replacing the worn components in the front suspension. UCAs, etc.
Been thinking of what to call it.
My first thought was "Black Betty", and then I noticed that Eddie already had that one claimed with his sweet ride. Developed a slow air leak in the left rear air spring about the same time that it started blowing a fuse due to a pinched wire in the steering column. I then considered "Black Beeyotch".

Then I remembered being a kid in the Seventies, and my dear departed Dad telling me that his dream car was a Lincoln Mark V.
Dad was a police officer, retired from the PD in Torrance, California after 27 years of service.
His name was Archie Lowell Jackson, but he'd get mad if ya called him Archie. He hated that name. My brother and I called him Dad, and his friends all called him Al. He didn't care for Cadillacs, thought they were a woman's car. He bought Mom a nice Sedan de Ville, and she drove it until she died.
But he never got his Mark; was too busy making sure that we had it decent, was always just a thought and a desire simmering on a back-burner somewhere in his mind.
He died early in the spring of '96 after a winter-long fight with ALS, I was there with him.
I remember that when I'm driving my '96 Mark VIII; I often pat the dashboard and say "hey Dad, we finally got your Mark."

So my (our) Mark is now named Al.

Not Archie.

Very heartwarming story! I'm glad you and Al could finally get your Mark. I know they're smiling down on you just proud as hell to keep your Dad's dream alive. Can't wait to see the progress!

Just got back to work again after a hard and lean winter. Lots planned, and there will be a progress thread. But with money just now coming in again, it's like moving through molasses. Got some good stuff and my best gun in the hock shop again for a month to get some repairs done, rollin with the punches.

But Al's gonna be on the LVC calendar. Someday, gonna be a while. But he's gonna be there.

awesome story, your pop is smiling be sure of that! just take care of AL and he'll be good to you.

awesome story, your pop is smiling be sure of that! just take care of AL and he'll be good to you.

I think he is. We were into sand rails back in the 70's, did Glamis when there were only a few old trucks with Caveman campers and buggy trailers there at any given time. Dunno if you remember Parnelli Jones, but he was a friend of ours, made the Glamis trips with us from time to time. I was a kid chasing sand lizards and piloting a kick-ass sand rail (for that era, anyway. No way remotely similar to the high tech toys of today). Ran solo up Competition Hill at 12.

BTW, I never get tired of seeing that pic of Johnny Cash. :D

of course i remember parnelli come on now i'm not that young lol!! my dream is to build one of them 4 seater LS-1 powered sand rails and head out west with one. the ones they have today are purely retarded the power, the way they handle, the instant standing up on the rear pans, i have been in love with sand rails for a long time to me there is nothing cooler.

i love my johnny cash picture too lol!!!

Members online

Back