Fed Up!!!!

Harlem1Der

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
what's up fellow LS enthusiasts. Yep I'm gonna revisit the ol coolant leak issue with this car. I have changed everything plastic: Degas Bottle, Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses, Both coolant tubes (the one that the upper and lower hoses connect to as well as the one behind that with the PITA rear bolts), thermostat housing, etc. Over the past couple weeks, I've developed a leak. This was when I changed the rear coolant tube (PITA rear bolts), as that was the last plastic piece that I hadn't changed. Well I've changed that out, along with the lower gasket and the upper o-ring and I'm still getting a leak in that area. I can't pinpoint where exactly it's coming from due to the tubes being in the way while I have it running with everything hooked back up. The only indication I get of where the leak may be coming from is that its dripping down the block. I've changed the water pump so I know it's not that because I can see a small pool of coolant above that part. It's leaking to the point that I'm going through a bottle of coolant every day-day and a half. I really don't want to get rid of this car, but I'm starting to feel like it's about that time. Plus this is giving the wife all the ammo she needs to try an convince me to get rid of it. Please help me out. If there's any questions about what else I've done, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Well, if you're certain that it's coming from the 9N499 elbow... did you remove the intake manifold to install it? Because, though I know people work underneath it and can install the elbow without removing it, I'd personally suggest removing it if you haven't already to make sure the elbow seats correctly when installing.

Also, be sure that you install new seals (O-rings and various others).

I will say right now that if you're going through a jug of coolant a day then you should be able to locate EXACTLY where the issue is and fix it. (That is assuming that you can however swim...)

Well, if you're certain that it's coming from the 9N499 elbow... did you remove the intake manifold to install it? Because, though I know people work underneath it and can install the elbow without removing it, I'd personally suggest removing it if you haven't already to make sure the elbow seats correctly when installing.

Also, be sure that you install new seals (O-rings and various others).

I will say right now that if you're going through a jug of coolant a day then you should be able to locate EXACTLY where the issue is and fix it. (That is assuming that you can however swim...)

I'm only certain because that's where I see the pool of coolant. I really don't have any other thought as to where it could be coming from because if it were the water pump, I wouldn't see any coolant above it, or at least that's how I'm thinking anyway. Yea I removed the intake manifold to install it and also installed new seals. This is why I'm lost.

Hey, I've actually been there, and it was on my 04. For once, I really just wanted to be able to hand it off to someone else and have them figure it out and fix it. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like anyone else around here could. So, I was convinced it was that elbow just because of were the coolant was splashing. I used compressed air to pressurize it while it was sitting. I did this with both a hot and a cold engine. It just wouldn't leak while it was sitting there. Even running the engine and revving it in place, it wouldn't leak. Drive it down the road and back, and it leaked. I replaced the brand new elbow and seals and it still leaked. I removed and replaced the crossover and thermostat housing a few times, still it leaked. Finally, I realized it had to be leaking from somewhere else and spraying there.
I took the crossover off again and looked really close. It looked like there was a tiny bit of old seal on the engine block where the driver side tube connected. (Really, it just looked like a stain.) I cleaned it off as best as could (hopefully better than the first time), and I put tack seal on all of the rubber seals and o-rings. That worked. It stopped leaking and has been fine since. I don't really know which thing I did (cleaning or tack seal) fixed or that it was leaking from where I thought. But in the end it fixed it.
I had done the cooling change out on the 04 before, and had no trouble. I also had no trouble doing it on my 06, but the 2nd time on the 04 really kicked me for a few weeks. Good luck, and I do empathize with your situation.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8540...qid=1427848082&sr=8-1&keywords=permatex+85409

Hey, I've actually been there, and it was on my 04. For once, I really just wanted to be able to hand it off to someone else and have them figure it out and fix it. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like anyone else around here could. So, I was convinced it was that elbow just because of were the coolant was splashing. I used compressed air to pressurize it while it was sitting. I did this with both a hot and a cold engine. It just wouldn't leak while it was sitting there. Even running the engine and revving it in place, it wouldn't leak. Drive it down the road and back, and it leaked. I replaced the brand new elbow and seals and it still leaked. I removed and replaced the crossover and thermostat housing a few times, still it leaked. Finally, I realized it had to be leaking from somewhere else and spraying there.
I took the crossover off again and looked really close. It looked like there was a tiny bit of old seal on the engine block where the driver side tube connected. (Really, it just looked like a stain.) I cleaned it off as best as could (hopefully better than the first time), and I put tack seal on all of the rubber seals and o-rings. That worked. It stopped leaking and has been fine since. I don't really know which thing I did (cleaning or tack seal) fixed or that it was leaking from where I thought. But in the end it fixed it.
I had done the cooling change out on the 04 before, and had no trouble. I also had no trouble doing it on my 06, but the 2nd time on the 04 really kicked me for a few weeks. Good luck, and I do empathize with your situation.

Thanks Joegr. I'll give that a shot tomorrow as it's getting a lil too dark for me to deal with it. I'm hoping it's something that simple. You've actually helped me out quite a bit on here. Thanks again for the advice, I'll update when I do that an see what happens.

For a 'quick-'n'-dirty, please be aware that new equipment manufacturers have, for about a zillion years, put a dose of 'Bars-Leaks' pellets in every new car. You should be able to buy something of the sort at any auto-parts store.

KS

Be warned that there are at least a couple of cases where some type of stop leak was used in an LS and after many many flushes, they were still having overheating problems. I wouldn't do it.

What is it with all this constant talk about what the wife has to say about the LS. You guys not train them correctly?

Could it possibly be the next generation is getting soft and whipped? Not sure about others but mine has no say in anything LS related. All I want to hear from her on that subject is that it's a nice LS. period!

~ make more sandwiches lady!

As one who is known for a short fuse regarding misspellings, please be aware that it's spelled 'sammiches'. ( see YB.) ;)

KS

^ book worm much?

1b61b075d4bd3d3fcf493dcd964ddfe5.jpg

1b61b075d4bd3d3fcf493dcd964ddfe5.jpg

never thought i'd see any advice on here as to put bars leak in an engine. that's about the silliest thing you could possibly to from a band aid perspective.

I would never suggest Bars leaks either. However, IF you have exhausted all your options and scrapping the car is imminent, then why not (unless you can still sell it for good money with that waterfall of a leak).

OP: This may be a blessing in disguise.
We are 2015. The LS is old, Ford parts are over priced, and just about everyone on here will shake a fist at you if you go 'Ebay' your solutions. If you can afford getting rid of it, there's other reliable luxury cars out there. Just don't look back, ever. The LS will be the hardest car you ever let go.... Trust me, I just let go of my 2002 after 8 years together....

Baloney, you put a different sick car in the driveway, you'll forget the LS within a week!
It'll be like an old ex girlfriend that used to make great sandwiches but the new one does also, if not better.

ER, please re-read my comment. Manufacturers put Bars-Leaks in all new cars. Like most things it can be over done. but to diss it---and me---out of hand is beside the point.

KS

so I'm changing the water pump. should i stick with the metal gasket or go with the paper/cardboard one that came with the new pump? also, just as a double check, gasket sealant goes on the gasket too correct? If that's a yes, then I may have found my issue, the metal gasket had zero sealant between it and the engine block.

so I'm changing the water pump. should i stick with the metal gasket or go with the paper/cardboard one that came with the new pump? also, just as a double check, gasket sealant goes on the gasket too correct? If that's a yes, then I may have found my issue, the metal gasket had zero sealant between it and the engine block.

The metal gasket should have a thin amount of "rubber" on both sides.

thanks. I'm gonna go do that right now. hopefully this ends "leak-gate" lol

I hope so. The water pump gasket is also one of the gaskets I pulled out and put tack seal on when I was chasing the leak I had. It could have been the one...

I hope so. The water pump gasket is also one of the gaskets I pulled out and put tack seal on when I was chasing the leak I had. It could have been the one...

yea that's what I'm thinking. when I pulled the pump off, there was nothing but the metal gasket. I know for sure when I changed it last, I put sealant on it. I distinctly remember putting the sealant on it and having to wait for the 24 hr cure time to pass. we'll see here ina few though

Does anybody know what the hose is that's beneath the throttle body and where it goes? It looks like it disappears into the top of the manifold. I found this morning that it's got a split in it and it's leaking. I believe this may be the final leak in my system lol.

View attachment 828472438

I believe it's hose 8276 in the diagram

Okay, 8276 does not run under the manifold. That's the engine air bleed hose. It goes from the top of the cross over pipe assembly to the top of the degas bottle. (It can be replaced with cut-to-length hose.)

3W4Z-8548-AD is a throttle body heater hose. It runs from the water outlet on the top of the block to the throttle body. I had an issue with this hose on one of mine (it was cracked where it bent, almost all the way through). I had to remove the intake manifold (be sure to other manifold gaskets) to replace mine. Someone here did claim they were able to do it without removing the manifold. (Removing the manifold is not as difficult as it may sound.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back