favorite lincoln body style

Oh, this is an easy one! :)

For the Flagship Lincoln, the 77-79 Continental (especially the 77 cause it has the 76 interior which I like better than the 78 interior and it has the 78 front end which I like better than the 76 front end...it's just got the best of both worlds)

And for the Mark Series, the Mark V (so again, 77-79)

Runners up for Fav. in my mind are for the TownCar and pre-TownCar Conti are:

1st: The mid-60's Contis (suicide doors are sweet, I know that they were there all the way from 61-69, but I just love the face of the 66)

2nd: The 98-02 Town Car (love the low pimp profile, especially when viewed from the back at an angle showing the length of the car) and the dash is vaguely reminiscent of the 70-77 Continental. The coolest tail lights on any lincoln in history in my opinion

3rd: The 80's. Especially the 80-84, but I like the 88-89 better than the 85-87. These Lincolns are sorta kinda like a smaller 77-79, but more subdued in their styling and not quite as gracefully proportioned. The cab is too tall in relation to the body and the trunk is too short in relation to the cab and hood.....in my opinion anyway.. In my opinion, the 77-79 is proportioned perfectly. However, in some ways the 80-89 is actually more stylish than the 77-79. The side panels have the bulges over the wheel wells which rock and the door handles on the 80-89 are borrowed right off the 71 Ford and they are a lot cooler than the ordinary old handles on big brother. They also put a lot of work into making the headlamps look real graceful and elegant on the 80's ones and I think they succeeded.

And the Mark Series:

1st: Mark VI....Mk V jr. don't like it quite as much as the big one, but they look so much alike, I think it'd be impossible to love one and not love the other.

2nd: Mark IV, it's softer and cushier looking than the edgy mk V and mk VI, but still has all the necessary ingredients to be a stunner to look at.

3rd: Mk III, I don't like how they have the grille protruding as far as the bumper, it makes the car look bucked teethed, but you can't disagree with the profile of this car, or the rear end... nice butt! :)

My least favorite era for the towncar is 1990-1997 in the looks department with the 95-97 being better looking than the 90-94. I just think there's not enough to them, especially the front end. I like them, I guess, but I think they're way too plain looking to be a flagship lincoln. (sorry guys)

My least favorite era of the mark is probably the 1st incarnation of the Mk VIII (sorry again, guys.) But I really like the 2nd version of the Mk VIII (which should've been called the Mk IX in my opinion) I just love how the whole back end lights up when you brake. But, even though the 1st Mk VIII is my least fav, I still think it's awesome! (there, I threw a bone.... peace offering?) :)

Boy, I hope I haven't made any enemies here tonight! :) Truce? :Beer

c'mon, the monkey's dancing :monkey: :)

you know, I take back something I said. I guess I do like the 1st Mk VIII just a little better than the Mk VII, but still think the Mk VII is a really cool car. The Mk VII is a little beefier, sure, but the VIII's got more style. And I like the 90-97 TC a bit better than I implied, I do still like them, but stand behind my opinion of them being my least fav.

My favorate would have to be the 1980's Town Cars. I think they are the best looking out of all of them. Second runner up is the 2004- to now Town Cars. I like them alot too.
I dont like the ones from the 90's, bacsily..... well, I dunno why, they just look weird to me.

And I think one of my favorates out of all of them would be the 1994 Contental. My dad had one when I was a kid (im only 19 now) and I just loved that car.

If I could change something about the looks of my '97, I'd like to have concealed headlamps(like the 70's T/C 's had) . I can understand what y'all are saying about the 90's TC's. I've seen a white 93-ish T/C next to mine, and I'm glad mine is a dark color.
I didn't realise how much a white 90-97 T/C resembles a refridgerator on it's side.I still :L but do wish it had a little more style to it!

This may sound kinda silly, but I'm both very opinionated and a total softy, which doesn't mix well, really.

This is a prime example. I come out guns blazing criticising the 90-97 TC (though it is honest opinion) and then the softy in me kicks in. I'm sure no one here is as pursuadable as this, but, I just imagine saying that, then one of you guys reading that, then going out to your garage and looking at your so very beloved TC, and suddenly seeing now for yourself what I've said about it and then feeling the pain of realizing you've just fallen out of love. But you're stuck with an investment you don't love and all because some hot shot, big mouth online geek had to open his big fan boy mouth. "Why did you have to mess things up, M & L?! Why? Why?! If you'dve just left well enough alone, and kept your damned mouth shut, then ol 96'er and me would still be getting married tomorrow morning and driving to barbados for our honeymoon, but now it's all over and I have to take back the beautiful white dress I bought and I have to give back all the wedding gifts! Ol'96er wont get his coffee pot!!! Gaaaawwwwwdddd!!!" (okay, now I've slipped completely into satire) :)

But seriously, I told you that this would sound totally stooooopid, and I'm sure that everybody who loved 90-97s love them just as much as before. Maybe you're feeling extra love for it right now because it's natural to amplify your feelings of something when you're defending it.

It is my deepest hope that I have not tarnished anybody's perception of their beloved Town Car. I may find them lacking, but you didn't, so don't. Love them every bit as much as you did before. In fact. Go out to your garage, take some of that spray on wax, and wax just a little inconspicous part of your 90-97 and you tell her that that Moby and Lucille guy doesn't know what he's talking about....and make sure to tell her how much you love her. (there, see? I've slipped into satire again) :)

and not quite as gracefully proportioned. The cab is too tall in relation to the body and the trunk is too short in relation to the cab and hood.....in my opinion anyway.. In my opinion, the 77-79 is proportioned perfectly.

I know I've posted this picture before, and it's currently in my photo garage as well, but it is an absolutely perfect picture for demonstrating what I was saying in this quote. On the 77, from the point where the front and back door meet, the length to the rear of the car and to to the front of the car is almost identical. The 77 is a full 14" longer than the 89 (233 vs. 219), and 10 of that is on the back half of the car.(119 forward/114 rearward or 51%/49% a 5" or 1/5% difference) The 89 is less balanced in terms of front and back. (115 forward/104 rearward or 53%/47%, an 11" or 1/2% difference)The hood is a decent length, but the trunk is too short. If they made the car about 5" longer, and made that all trunk, then it'd be a lot better.

I think the numbers don't do justice though. Looking at the numbers, you wouldn't think it'd be that significant of a difference, but looking at the cars, you sure notice the difference.

The 80-89 had what was called "command seating" It made the body slimmer and the windows taller and placed the driver higher up in the cab. From a practicality standpoint, Command seating is a wonderful thing, but detrimental cosmetically, in my opinion. from the bottom of the windows up, there's only a two inch difference, BUT, givin that the T.C is only about 20" tall from that point, that's a whole 10% difference which is significant. The body only height difference is similar, so similarly significant (about 5% difference)

Anyway, the picture can say it so much better than I can, but look for these things in the picture... the front to back proportions, and the size of the cab relative the size of the body...also look at the width difference. A full 7" if you don't count side mirrors (82 vs. 75, or 78 with mirrors) That's exactly half the difference in length if you don't count the mirrors meaning that the width difference is even more significant than the length difference (89 is 93.9% as long as 77 but only 91.4% as wide..with mirrors that changes it to 95.1% as wide)

I'm so Jedi. :)

Moby_Doc_Taurus.JPG

Here are some more examples I found out on the net. See how the side view of this 75 (75-79 same from side and back, but 75-76 different from 77-79 in front) compares to the side view of this 88 and 84? The 80-84 were a little better than the 85-89 cause the back was a straight down back and not sloped like the 85-89 but still, the 75 is more evenly balanced length and height than either the 84 or especially the 88.

Pimped 75.jpg

Pimped 88.jpg

Pimped 84.jpg

Pimped 89.jpg

Pimped 84 2.jpg

Pimped 75 4.jpg

bucketthead said:
i was just wondering what everyones favorite body style for the lincoln i know mine would b the one that my 95 tc has i belive these are the best but i was wondering what everyone thought on this

Ya, I also think that da 95-97 ltc's are the best body stylez to.

I love my Mark VIII

But Im a sucker of the MarkIII picked one up a few years ageo and I love the lines and the fact that its 18+ feet long might have somthing to do with it!!! :woowoo2:

ls70 (Small).JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back