FALECF4'S 2002 LS V8 SPORT - Progress Thread

Now this is new news to me. Curious though, couldn't a simple diode prevent the backfeed you talk about?

It's a little more involved than that. Yes, sometimes that all it takes, but often it takes a lot more. Even how you route the copper traces on a PCB can make a major difference. You have to try and think like an electron. Anyway, I don't know what protection measures they took in the PCM. I assure they did take precautions, but in the end the design was deficient. Now that we know that, it's on us if we don't do all we can to avoid causing damage.

When did clocksprings get so expensive?! They were around $100 5-6 years ago and now they are at least $165. Limited parts out of production so they are higher demand/cost?

Edit: $126 on Rock Auto

I got started on my repairs tonight but unfortunately I only got a few minutes of work done since I had to head into work. Here are the parts I am replacing.
WP_20160224_15_07_34_Pro_LI.jpg

As I started taking the intake tube off I realized that one of the connectors was broken so I'll have to get that new plastic tube that connects to the intake.
WP_20160224_15_09_24_Pro_LI.jpg

On a very good note it looks like all of the plastic cooling pieces have fairly recently been replaced! YAY!!! :wrench

I also got a closer look at the connector at the cooling fan. If it is leaking at that hose or fitting only it should be a pretty straight forward fix, yes? Do I have to worry that the pump has been running dry for who knows how long with the previous owner? Here are a few pis of how much I could move the hose with my finger and you can also see fluid around the connector and where it ran down.
WP_20160224_15_14_44_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20160224_15_14_51_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20160224_15_15_04_Pro_LI.jpg

I'll be back at it tomorrow and hopefully be posting about how smoothly the LS is running.

WP_20160224_15_09_13_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_15_07_34_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_15_09_24_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_15_14_44_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_15_14_51_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_15_15_04_Pro_LI.jpg

I got the plugs and coils installed today. Luckily the gaskets were still good so I will save the ones I bought for when they are needed. Since I did not have to remove the valve covers I also did not get a chance to take a look at the timing gear but I will probably take a look at that this summer. Last thing I wanted was to have to put more time than I needed to in when the weather is still in the 30's.

Get everything back together and I'm happy to have a smooth running LS! Brakes are next on the checklist and I still need to figure out where the leak is on this cooling fan or decide if I just want to go electric.

I have that tube if you want it. I grabbed it from a junkyard for someone else back in June but they're obviously not buying it now. I pulled it off a '00 V8. I could get a shipping quote if you Pm your zip code

Members online

No members online now.
Back