Failed Inspection

Topcat

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok now I am in trouble .....
Last year had ... Kooks headers installed all emissions added to headers ... Air injection etc.. came out of headers into a high flow CAT on each side .... then An X Magnaflow muffler through 2.5 " pipe , into two Magnaflow mufflers at the back .... Being a 96 had rear set of O2s bypassed in Reinhart Performance Chip....
After thinking I would just remove chip get inspected and reinstall , I realized I cant remove the chip , the missing rear O2s will throw the CE light , and if I remember , I had the headers before the chip , the car ran poorly with the CE light on and would probably not pass then either ...
Here are my readings all else Passed...

Test Limits-------------Vehicle Reading

HC --- 0.60 gpm---------- 0.82 gpm
CO --- 10.00 gpm--------10.18 gpm
NOx --- 1.50 gpm----------2.51 gpm

Any Good Ideas would be vastly appreciated...........

A dyno on Long Island would be good ...

Last edited:
I may be reading this wrong, but did you only fail emissions? If so there are a lot of "tricks" that could probably get you to squeak by. First, be sure that the car has been very well warmed up prior to testing. Also make sure you've given it a good tune-up like plugs, wires, rotor, etc. Make sure the timing is set as low as it should be. Maybe running SeaFoam would help. Pure alcohol would most likely help too. HEET is good for this, but do not use rubbing alcohol; there is too much water in that. I hope this helps, good luck!

Ok lets answer a few of these questions .... the car passed all of the inspection except for the emissions listed , there are no codes , All equipment Air injection , EGR , front O2s were added to headers and system..But not replaced with new so could still have a legitimate part failure . Also the car has not been inspected since all the changes till now..Rear O2s were bypassed with the chip , because it was easy. and there function as best as I could find out has no effect on emissions just the cats condition...Howerver if they are not present , with the original computer program , you will get a CE light....
Jibit , the chip is still in the car , I cant remove because I dont have the rear O2s... If you know some trick way to Bypass the O2s , for the original program , I would like to know how...Then I can remove the chip and I think the car will pass...
If you dint know , on the Mark VIII the chip plugs into the side of the computer on a little board , and the original program is bypassed ... It is still in the computer but non functional ... If the chip is removed the computer reverts back to its original program... I know on the Mark VII there is a whole series of chip changes , not so in the newer cars...So I can revert back to may original settings , by pulling the chip , except for the rear O2s...

Did they throw your car on the IM-240 Dyno test? If so, scan and post the data graphs. You can pretty much tell what's failing by examining the graph.

CaptainZilog said:
Did they throw your car on the IM-240 Dyno test? If so, scan and post the data graphs. You can pretty much tell what's failing by examining the graph.
You know way too much about this stuff! You and I need to get together and chat over a beer (or whiskey).

Put nitrous on it and make a few hard passes.THE ABSOLUTE BEST WAY TO CLEAN YOUR VALVES! LOL

It might sound funny but I had gutted my cats and used a lot of nitrous and the smog guy told me my car ran cleaner than any new car he had ever tested.

Members online

No members online now.
Back