Fab'ed heat shield for Cold Air Intake for KKM

loveLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I got off work early yesterday and finally put this thing together.
As I have posted before, I used the top of stock air box and some tubing (pic.1) to make an air scoop that brings air from the front bumper (pic.2: arrow) to the hole (pic.3). I made some measurements (pic. 4) then made a template using cardboard box (pic.5). It fits nicely in the spot (pic.6).
I bought some ABS plastic sheet and glue at a local plastic store. after few hours of cutting and fitting (I only have hand held dremel tool) I made the box (pic.7). and the final product with KKM filter (pic.8). why no top? It fits perfect and only leaves about 1cm space from the hood so I dont think it would be needed.

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

WOW thats nice I have a machine shop here and thats what my engineer and I where going to design. I like it a lot, have to ask did u insulate with anything to keep the heat from the steel down. Regardless I love it do you mind if I copy that design? Thanks for post!

-Scott-

you can use the template. I purposely took the picture with everything laid down so if anyone that wants to use it can do so.
thanks for the input.
I havent done anything for insulation. Im looking into what would work the best. what should I use?

If you are going to make it. you need to trim litte bit (see the white bars)
it hits the hood. there's a protruding portion on the hood that will hit this area if you dont trim it.

9.jpg

That's a nice job for sure! Are you planning to put a top on it or are you just going to let the hood create the top for you? I'd say if you fabbed those things they would definitely sell. Hell, I'd buy one maybe more if the price was right.

Well I will take your design under my wing with your approval.Thanks again!

Ken I was also thinking about a cyclinder style design making it selled off but we have been some what busy to really tackle that design at hand, what do think about that one?

-Scott-

I think it looks great and it should do the trick. I'd like to see loveLSE do some testing with it to make sure there is enough air getting to the box and the temperature stays cool enough. You want to make sure that there is air movement. A lot of warm/hot air is better than no air at all. However, it has potential.

The one problem that Capt Zorro, aka Wayne, had with his design was that it rattled. The box would have to be secured enough to keep it from squeaking and rattling.

loveLSE said:
you can use the template. I purposely took the picture with everything laid down so if anyone that wants to use it can do so.
thanks for the input.
I havent done anything for insulation. Im looking into what would work the best. what should I use?

it hits the hood. there's a protruding portion on the hood that will hit this area if you dont trim it.

Ok well I have a book here with serval thermal insulation sheets in it, but the problem is trying to find one that is water restaint and thin.

There are a few here they are.
Pipe and tube insulation jacketing or Polyimide sheets. I am still reading and learning about these sheets, but they seem to be the only ones so far that meet the standards.I will post once completed.

-Scott-

LoveLSE, that thing looks awesome! what a great job.

when i get my kkm from ken and when i get my car back! (dropped it off this morning, the evaporator coil is leaking. stopped over there to see how its going and my whole dash is apart! its a damn good thing im friends with a machanic!!!)

im going to try aluminum and welding it as a one piece, then have a top that can connect on it. its hard to plan without having it.

you guys think just the heat sheild insulation is the best bet??

loveLSE said:
thanks for the input.

Your definently on to something!
You could sell quit a few of those with a few mods:
Top of the box being contoured to the underside of the hood.
A tighter fit around the MAF sensor.

Looks good. You may want to either put a lid on it - or some rubber trim edging so it seals to the hood. Looks very similar to my first unit.

---- you are sooooooo very close to cutting a hole in your hood.....

loveLSE said:
thanks for the input.

What a beutiful job. One question though. On my 04, there is another air source directly in line with the end of the KKM in the fender wall. Why did you not allow this to add to the total volume available to the filter?

I would like the whole package once you get it perfected. Keep posting because I am going to do the whole intake, but have been putting it off due to the fact that there was no heat sheild.

loveLSE said:
you can use the template.

Can post the dimensions of your template?

Thanks.

Looks like everyone is making Air boxes. Anyway here's mine...a ghetto version compared to some I've seen on here, like LoveLSE's. I made it this weekend and so far it holds tight no rattle and I can feel the diffrence sounds pretty good too...just doesn't look pretty. It's temporary...I definetly have to improve the design and make the pieces fit right and get rid of the tape. Here's some pics...
pic0.JPG

Used the bottom of the original air box.
pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic5.JPG

pic6.JPG

got the idea to reuse the stock filter mesh grill from a pic I saw somewhere, maybe here?
What do you guys think?

I was wondering if anybody would "recycle" the stock box. At least you know it's going to fit in the space.

Anybody else have another design?

sgb00ls said:
I was wondering if anybody would "recycle" the stock box. At least you know it's going to fit in the space.

Anybody else have another design?

I have been looking for one from a wrecked LS for quite some time now, to do just what you have suggested. OEM new are just too expensive to buy for an experiment.
:Beer

Go get some abs plastic sheet, make a copy of the stock airbox, and fit a 3"abs pipe to the end like the stock airbox. Then run some dryer hose up to the filter.

As for the stock airbox fitting that big filter, not going to happen. You would have to buy a longer, smaller dia. air filter.
Also autozone sells 3" rubber flex hose (black in color so you can't see it) that retains the shape you bend it to. I used it from the grill to the oval hole in the engine compartment without securing it. Never fell once.

Hey surfjaxls, were do you recomend getting abs plastis sheet from?

01lssport said:
As for the stock airbox fitting that big filter, not going to happen. You would have to buy a longer, smaller dia. air filter.
Also autozone sells 3" rubber flex hose (black in color so you can't see it) that retains the shape you bend it to. I used it from the grill to the oval hole in the engine compartment without securing it. Never fell once.

Hey surfjaxls, were do you recomend getting abs plastis sheet from?

Smaller filter to fit stock box... that would be like going backwards.

Ditto. Where do you find black plastic sheet? I guess there are no shortcuts when trying to make HP. :Bang

You can order it online, but I buy all my plastic from a local distributor, Farco Plastics. Same place I used to get the acrylic tubing for my DIY angel eyes. Also used them for some scrap polycarboante to fab a filter adapter similar to the KKM.

Look for somewhere local, yellow pages is a great start, because shipping will up the cost a lot, and most companies have a minimum order cost.

Dimensions

Here's pic with dimensions.
they are in inches. as I have mentioned before (but no longer in the thread, now for some reason) I actually made mine bit bigger especially for hieght.
I went 1-inch taller then started trimming here and there. I coated the top edge with a paint then closed the hood to see where I need to trim by looking at which part is hitting the hood. It took some time but I like it alot.

Hope this will get you all to a good start.

Im going to buy a thermometer and test it to see if I get a lower temp.
I'll let you all know once this is donw. Im a scientist so I'll have all the appropriate controls so we can all be sure that this thing really works.

dimen.jpg

OUTSTANDING!! Great innovation and craftsmanship!!

If you get the chance, I would like to see some more tests done on this. If you can find a way to measure the air inlet temperatures, there may be some very valuable infomation to be gained. You could insert a temp probe downstream from the filter and box. I have a Fluke meter with a probe and long wire that would be perfect for this. Another good option would be an oven thermometer. I have an electronic one that has the probe on a long enough wire that you could tape the guage to your windshield and get your readings. You could fabricate a temporary lid to your box with duct tape and cardboard. Try driving the car in town on a warm day then on the highway. Then pull the lid off and duplicate the test drive. I would be very interested in seeing what, if any, the temp differences are. There could be some good hp to be had here!!

loveLSE said:
I got off work early yesterday and finally put this thing together.
As I have posted before, I used the top of stock air box and some tubing (pic.1) to make an air scoop that brings air from the front bumper (pic.2: arrow) to the hole (pic.3). I made some measurements (pic. 4) then made a template using cardboard box (pic.5). It fits nicely in the spot (pic.6).
I bought some ABS plastic sheet and glue at a local plastic store. after few hours of cutting and fitting (I only have hand held dremel tool) I made the box (pic.7). and the final product with KKM filter (pic.8). why no top? It fits perfect and only leaves about 1cm space from the hood so I dont think it would be needed.

Excellent job!

Members online

No members online now.
Back