Extended Warranty or sell?

bgjersey30

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering... I have an 03 LS V8 with 96500 mi on it. It may need a transmission soon along with other parts but car looks and runs great outside of the harsh shift from gears 1 to 2.

Do you think I should get an extended warranty for $1500 which covers the car for an additional 100000 mi. Or just sell it? Car is already paid off.

depends what the warranty covers (who its through)... I'd wouldn't sell it because i think the tranny's going out... specially if its payed for... Doesn't make sense on why you want to sell it???...If you just dont want it anymore than sell it, but if a tranny bill is scaring you, might need to find a different class of vehicle..

Does the $1,500 warranty really cover everything with no hassle? If so I'd go that route.

Neither.
Keep the car, do the needed repairs, and forget the rip-off warranty.

It's almost always cheaper to keep and fix the car you have than to trade.

Put the $1500 aside for repairs.

Buy and keep all the routine maintenece items and have them ready (stock up on a couple sets of coils, plugs, oil filters, and oil) and just tackle each issue as it comes.

Yeah i too think the tranny is going out (was hoping it was something else) and so thats why i was thinking of the warranty. The dealership was saying that according to FORD its "recommended" to replace the whole transmission if you replace anything in the transmission. i first went to ask how much to get a new solenoid pack installed and was quoted $1000 plus tax for solenoid and valve body. Is that a good deal?

I really do like the car and would rather keep it but just want to make sure I make the right decision on where to spend the money.

looks like i need to replace the cats as well. Just replaced plugs and vcg with ford extended warranty, they "stealership" said the coils were good but i will replace them myself. replaced egr valve, fuel pressure valve, pcv vacuum valve, thermostat and thermostat housing along with the engine fill cap.

where... :shifty:

I had an extended warranty on a radio, and it was the biggest pain in the ass I have ever had to deal with.. I will never under any circumstance purchase another.

If those are the terms, then no, it covers nothing.

I also had an extended warranty on a double din, never again, at least with Best Buy, I'm glad to hear they're going to be outta here in the next few years.

sorry tried to post terms but file was too big. its through aa auto but they are a broker. so it is actually with Interstate National dealer services.

I don't know guys. I had a ford ESP on both my past LS's and each
Time it paid for itself. For those of us who are not mechanically inclined, and you get a good deal on a warranty as long as its the real deal warranty it's a good thing.

Last one covered new nav unit screen, two deck thx subs, repairs on the rear diff, repair on heated seat, replaced a belt or two. The warranty at that time was only 900. They said with what they did to the rear diff that alone paid for it. And u know the screen and speakers weren't cheap either.And as soon as I decide if I'm keeping this one I have now I'll buy a warranty for it or whatever one I get and decide to keep.

Last edited:
Is that warranty actually through Ford or do they sell a third party warranty. If it is through Ford I would be more willing to purchase it, but there are a lot of fly by night companies that have more small print than big print and you find out way after the fact.

Is that warranty actually through Ford or do they sell a third party warranty. If it is through Ford I would be more willing to purchase it, but there are a lot of fly by night companies that have more small print than big print and you find out way after the fact.
Its a third party aa auto protection

Yeah i too think the tranny is going out (was hoping it was something else) and so thats why i was thinking of the warranty. The dealership was saying that according to FORD its "recommended" to replace the whole transmission if you replace anything in the transmission. i first went to ask how much to get a new solenoid pack installed and was quoted $1000 plus tax for solenoid and valve body. Is that a good deal?

No, that is not a good deal. (It is an "okay" deal.)

I think that Ford only recommends complete replacement to dealers that have proven they can't work on the internals of transmissions...

It's a ford premium care ESP warranty of course it's from ford. Straight from a ford dealer too. But different cord dealers across the. Oh try price them differently. I bought mine from a dealership in Connecticut and I live in Illinois. I never had a problem. Whenever I had a problem I took it in and they gave me a Lincoln rental to drive until it was fixed.

I have had a warranty through CNA and I have received maybe 4 times the value (dealership parts and labor) in repairs. Paid for itself in my case.

I am near the 100,000 marker and I am considering a Ford ESP warranty. I anticipate fewer issues going forward (I have had almost everything fixed lately (DCCV, coils, etc.)).

I can pay maybe $2000 for a 48K mile warranty and it covers maybe 80% of the vehicle. I think I can pay less, have it cover the power train only for up to 100K miles (I think).

T-Money: Are you saying that I can "shop around" with various Ford dealerships to get a better price on a Ford ESP warranty? I need to get one within the next 6 months.

Once a car hits the 100K mile marker, most warranty's get expensive, if they cover it at all, and the coverage is likely only 2 years/24K at best.

VOYEUR: yes turns out my local ford does not even sell the ford ESP. They sell sole
Other garbage. Just look online. Just type in Ford ESP warranty and you'll have to open alot of pages and put in all the cars info over and over to see which one is cheapest. Mine was from a ford in Connecticut. And I was able to finance it for a year with no interest charged. I had a "0" deductible and it was 1100 for additional 3 years 30000 miles. But that was the one that covered everything. Premium car I believe. If you just do power train it should be alot cheaper.

And yes even If you buy one halfway across the country you can still get it serviced at your local ford Lincoln. They'll send you paperwork showing the terms of your warranty and you just show it to your ford.

Last edited:
If i could get a warranty on my 06 for less than a grand i might do it cause i plan on keeping the car.

Keep up on the maintenance and rock it. Thats my intent. I cant find a car that has all the LS has. Granted they are faster hands down but growing up is where my thinking is coming from.

Im about to take mine in and get the trans fluid/filter replaced at 100k so in about 1500 miles.

Then I have to get other small things done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back