Exhaust Tips Question

jk52781

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding exhaust tips to my LS. I did not know if cutting the rear black valance was a good idea to have them extend straight out or if I should just get new mufflers with tips sticking straight out underneath the valance. I do not want the tips to be too low to the ground but I am hesitant on cutting the valance. I know it is personal taste but what have other people done with their exhuast tips and what do you recommend? Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't touch the mufflers. Part of the appeal of the LS and all luxery sedans in general is a more sophisticated look, feel, and sound IMHO. It separates us from those kids driving around in Hondas with coffee cans sticking out from underneath their bumpers. I personally love the stock exhaust because it's quiet and anyone that has driven a truck or car with cat back systems installed ont he highway for any length of time will tell you that it gets old (the drone from the Flowmasters on my Expedition is almost unbearable during the 6 hour drive to and from school). As for tips, I say go for it. I wouldn't get much larger than a 3" opening otherwise it'll look like truck tips sticking out probably give you a flappy sound. If you want a real clean look, cut out some larger openings but make sure you do it right and get the bumper repainted and sanded so it doens't look like a hack job. If you DO decide to go for a muffler replacement, look at a multiple chamber set up if you can (especially with a v8) because that will give you a throaty tone without all the flappy noise. My LSE comes stock with a two-into-four set up that looks really nice, however the rear bumper is cut to fit this particular set up. Shop around and see what you can find out. If you do a search on YouTube, you can find a view videos of some LS's with Magnaflow AND Flowmaster exhausts. Take a look at these. Personally, I'd stay with stock but it is YOUR ride so make it to suit YOUR tastes.

Thanks for your response man. Yae I do not want to spend a lot of money I just want the addition of the tips. I think I will have the black part cut out but I better make sure it is a clean cut and does not look crummy. I thought about having tips point downward but I just do not know if that look will be good. The good part about that is that I will not have to cut into the black valance. I am going to keep thinking and do some research searching around on LVC.

IMO, downward tips are just nasty looking. If you know someone with a welder and a plasma cutter or saws-all you can grab some tips from Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly, or NAPA and cut your old tips off and weld on the new ones fairly inexpensively. If it's just the look you're after, they also sell clamp on tips that dont actually increase the exhaust opening, they just give the illusion that it is larger. They kind of look like the tips on the older model Escalades with an oblong outer opening mounted around the stock Tahoe tailpipe.

Heres two different styles of tips. You can do the tip taht are on my 04, but you would have to cut into the back bumper as well as the valance.

tips.JPG

tips2.JPG

Members online

Back