Exhaust sound question..?

quickblue302

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How come our cars equipped with " exhaust " ie " x or H pipes, headers, or your choice of mufflers, cats or no cats, don't sound like our Cobra, Mach 1 or marauder counterparts?

Would someone post up some videos of a "nasty" sounding Mark?

And yes, I know mustangs have a more aggressive exhaust cam and deferent intake. Lol

Pipe length and muffler placement have a lot to do with it on top of most Marks being automatic.

My car has the 2 - manifold mounted cats, and x pipe, and then two small case Magnaflows. It's ridiculously quiet for the setup, I think.

I'm guessing the cats are quite restrictive. I did have the car without mufflers for a short time and it sounded awesome. Too loud for DD, but some smaller resonators would've been just right. That's the long-term plan for the exhaust on my car along with either LT or Kooks.

Yeah there's a huge sound difference between mufflers mounted in front of the axle with 3 feet of tail pipe following opposed to mufflers mounted at the back bumper with no tail pipes.

I am thinking of using 3" oval from the outlet of the X pipe to mitered 45 mandlebends then slice it and insert about 3 or 4 baffles staggered and with holes in the baffles making a sound suppressor to the front of the diff. then use 2 1/2 tubing to the back bumper. doing away with the rear mufflers. should make it sound different for sure. sonic waves are sure to be mixed up. might sound like a steam kolepie (?) will see what happens. UNLESS Michael vetoes the idea. we removed one x pipe when we installed the headers. going to slice the 3" with a cut off disc then slide the baffles into the sides and weld them. check our post on the 97 EVERGREEN and IVORY.JD

I really like how big single exhaust sounds with just a bullet type muffler dumped under the car..it really screams at high rpm..I remember reading somewhere thay burbanks car has a Y pipe into a single 3"-3.5" exhaust with no tail pipes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back