exhaust question.

auto67

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Is the factory exhaust 2.5 inches and is it stainless steel.

Do you have an idea how long the resonators are. I thought they were about a foot long.

Do any of you guys have problems welding it. I read that somewhere who knows if its true. I know true stainless is a bitch to weld with out a tig torch.

So one else wants to chime in on wheather or not the exhaust is stainless. I know someones welded on these pipes before.

ls4me is a credible guy , i swear there was a thread on people having problems by welding non stainless on the xhaust

So I guess I cant just cut the resonators out and weld some pipe in place huh. With out special wire and gas mixture.

most people on here cut the resonators off and well on a magnaflow x pipe , good results from them

The LS exhaust is stainless......... HOWEVER, there is stainless and then again there is stainless. The LS exhaust isn't a high quality stainless steel.

So do you think I will be able to weld it with carbon steel wire.

when I cut my resonators out and just replaced them with standard pipe, I had no problems using a friends mig to weld them up...

dont know what wire he had loaded up but we didnt bother to swap it out.

Carbon wire and 75/25 gas will work. I did mine that way with no issues. If this was a structural weld then I'd say its not the correct way to weld but this low pressure, non-structural situation should be fine.

Ditto, the car's exhaust is some form of 409 stainless. It'll rust and discolor some but not nearly as bad as aluminized steel tubing. Welding it is simple enough with a Mig and mix gas.

Members online

Back