Exhaust question for panther owners

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have CEL on with the code P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). Now I know there are four cats in these cars but how do you know which cat is the one you need to replace on bank 2?

I was quoted $500 to replace the cat but now I am thinking of just removing the cats and going with a dual exhaust setup (it is single right now). Do you think I should just have the cat replaced and call it a day or go dual?

This code is almost (90%) always due to a bad gas cap. The seals around the cap harden or get mossy depending on where the car resides and the cap simply fails to seal letting the PCM throw the cat(s) in either bank 1 or 2 or both - insufficiency code. A $13.00 gas cap may cure your MIL issue up quick then you can opt for exhaust upgrades later. Unless the cat or cats have been physically bashed or leaded fuel ran through them they seldom become 'insufficient' that is a pure PCM logic response. Scott

Well it turned out to be the CATs. Forgot which side it was (Passenger I think) but I went with removing the CATs and true dual exhaust. There is another light that would have turned on (well at least in the Town Car) if it was the cap.

Definitely improved in the power department from stock. A bit more noise in the cabin but will be get it sorted out by installing sound deadener in the trunk.

Scott,

Thanks for that Gas Cap advice, I'll try that before swapping out my own cats. Also I'd hope to move up to dual exhaust if I find a junkyard with a car that has it...

Cheers,

Vic

Raced my buddys single exhaust 01 with my dual exhaust 95 and I won
I would love to know how dual exhaust helped your body style please go race
A 95-97 sig series and report back thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back