Exhaust mods

Tommy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Not having a good chance to look at the exhaust setup I have had to speculate.

My guess is the boost in performance that comes from the Magnaflow setup is due to the mufflers and X-pipe. I wonder if I were to get an X-pipe welded to the existing exhaust and put good mufflers out back mght I get the same gains with less money spent?

For a muffler option I'm thinking FR500 Dual mode mufflers available from SVT. Quiet at idle and cruise loud at WOT! :Beer

Has anyone persued long tube headers through some of the makers like stainlessworks?
I understand the manifolds on the 03 and up are a type of try-Y design already?

Most long tubes will free up about 20-25 HP. Couple that with the known gain of 30 from the cat back and CAI plus high flow cats and a 2.5" exhaust is it possible there is 50+hp locked up on our cars due to restriction and noise regulations??

Tommy,

For the best sound and performance consider the Magnaflow cat-back. You can get them for around $600 shipped and it's the best bang for your buck. However, the pipes are only 2.25". You could probably make your own system by purchasing the x-pipe, mufflers and pipes. I'm planning on a 3" custom system for my LS this winter with all Magnaflow parts. I have the 2.25" Magnaflow system on now and absolutely love it.

Thanks GG1!

What's the magnafllow sound like at idle, cruise and WOT? loud? raspy, deep hum? Cackle? Rumble?

GrayGhost1 said:
Tommy,

For the best sound and performance consider the Magnaflow cat-back. You can get them for around $600 shipped and it's the best bang for your buck. However, the pipes are only 2.25". You could probably make your own system by purchasing the x-pipe, mufflers and pipes. I'm planning on a 3" custom system for my LS this winter with all Magnaflow parts. I have the 2.25" Magnaflow system on now and absolutely love it.

It has a very nice low rumble. At WOT, it is absolutely music to my ears! It's not a loud system but very tasteful.

Or you could just have a good local custom exhaust shop install a custom system for you. I did that and couldn't be happier. I did 2-1/2" duals w/3-chamber FlowMasters (nice rumble at low flow rates, loud at high flow rates). This way, you get the best fit, and properly welded seems rather than clamps.

I did the same thing - local shop - flowmasters, quad magnaflow tips and a magnaflow x-pipe.

Quik LS... Who did the work? I'm actually from Austin. I've not had a chance to figure out who does good work in the Houston Area *owned*

What did it cost to get that work done + cost of parts.. If I may ask?

Quik LS said:
I did the same thing - local shop - flowmasters, quad magnaflow tips and a magnaflow x-pipe.

Katshot said:
Or you could just have a good local custom exhaust shop install a custom system for you. I did that and couldn't be happier. I did 2-1/2" duals w/3-chamber FlowMasters (nice rumble at low flow rates, loud at high flow rates). This way, you get the best fit, and properly welded seems rather than clamps.

Errr. Cousin? Looks Like you and I have the same last name, lol. You have straight pipes, no resonators and a set of flows? hmmm

Any idea what the factory pipes ar on the OD? If I have to consider shop bent I may just stick to stock pipes. Seems a waste to get aluminized compression bent pipes put in. Oh wait! You're setup is on a Caddy! Stilll though. Did your shop have stainless pipes on hand?

Tommy said:
Errr. Cousin? Looks Like you and I have the same last name, lol. You have straight pipes, no resonators and a set of flows? hmmm

Any idea what the factory pipes ar on the OD? If I have to consider shop bent I may just stick to stock pipes. Seems a waste to get aluminized compression bent pipes put in. Oh wait! You're setup is on a Caddy! Stilll though. Did your shop have stainless pipes on hand?

I know I have family in NM but nobody I know of in TX, sorry. ;)
My buddy's exhaust shop does do stainless too but the cost is quite a bit more. I used coated pipes instead. Not quite as good as stainless but WAY cheaper. As it was, the job ran me just under $800.

Are the 2000-2002's different from the 03-05's? My '04 has duals coming back to an "X" pipe then into a cat and 2 mufflers right in the back.

Hey admin -
I tried editing my previous post but it wouldn't let me.

Anyway - what is the purpose of the "X" pipe?

my local meineke.
http://www.meineke.com/

Tommy said:
Quik LS... Who did the work? I'm actually from Austin. I've not had a chance to figure out who does good work in the Houston Area *owned*

What did it cost to get that work done + cost of parts.. If I may ask?

sorry - can't edit your post after - I went to my local meineke on 183.

I got new piiping, magnaflow x-pipe, flowmaster 40s, quad magnaflow double-rolled tips - $600.

sounds mean.

Quik LS said:
sorry - can't edit your post after - I went to my local meineke on 183.

I got new piiping, magnaflow x-pipe, flowmaster 40s, quad magnaflow double-rolled tips - $600.

sounds mean.

Could you post some sound clips? I would like to hear what those Flows sound like.

used Borla system on e-bay (listed currently at $300) - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7938029100&category=33630&sspagename=WDVW

for 00-02 w/o the bumper cutouts.

e7_0.jpg

Members online

Back